Quick Modding Questions Thread

In FFH, I think religions can be blocked by setting the iWeightModifier in ReligionWeightModifiers value for the particular religion to -100, within CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml. That isn't part of BtS but if you're using a mod, it may have been included.

hi,
indeed (original source is Dune Wars).

i guess its possible from cvreligionscreen.py
probably need to hard code the religion name .
Well, I think I have found the responsible code:
Code:
        # Convert Button....
        iLink = 0
        if (gc.getPlayer(self.iActivePlayer).canChangeReligion()):
            iLink = 1

if (not self.canConvert(iLinkReligion) or iLinkReligion == self.iReligionOriginal):           
            screen.setText(self.CONVERT_NAME, "Background", self.EXIT_TEXT, CvUtil.FONT_RIGHT_JUSTIFY, self.X_EXIT, self.Y_EXIT, self.Z_TEXT, FontTypes.TITLE_FONT, WidgetTypes.WIDGET_GENERAL, 1, 0)
            screen.hide(self.CANCEL_NAME)
            szAnarchyTime = CyGameTextMgr().setConvertHelp(self.iActivePlayer, iLinkReligion)
        else:
            screen.setText(self.CONVERT_NAME, "Background", self.CONVERT_TEXT, CvUtil.FONT_RIGHT_JUSTIFY, self.X_EXIT, self.Y_EXIT, self.Z_TEXT, FontTypes.TITLE_FONT, WidgetTypes.WIDGET_CONVERT, iLinkReligion, 1)
            screen.show(self.CANCEL_NAME)
            szAnarchyTime = localText.getText("TXT_KEY_ANARCHY_TURNS", (gc.getPlayer(self.iActivePlayer).getReligionAnarchyLength(), ))

# Turns of Anarchy Text...
        screen.setLabel(self.RELIGION_ANARCHY_WIDGET, "Background", u"<font=3>" + szAnarchyTime + u"</font>", CvUtil.FONT_LEFT_JUSTIFY, self.X_ANARCHY, self.Y_ANARCHY, self.Z_TEXT, FontTypes.GAME_FONT, WidgetTypes.WIDGET_GENERAL, -1, -1)

def getReligionButtonName(self, iReligion):
        szName = self.BUTTON_NAME + str(iReligion)
        return szName

def getReligionTextName(self, iReligion):
        szName = self.RELIGION_NAME + str(iReligion)
        return szName

def canConvert(self, iReligion):
        iCurrentReligion = gc.getPlayer(self.iActivePlayer).getStateReligion()
        if (iReligion == gc.getNumReligionInfos()):
            iConvertReligion = -1
        else:
            iConvertReligion = iReligion

return (iConvertReligion != iCurrentReligion and gc.getPlayer(self.iActivePlayer).canConvert(iConvertReligion))

But since I am still very much a noob for python I don't know how to change it :confused:
I was searching among mods and modcomps to find something at least a bit similar that would help me to understand things better but I found nothing :sad:
So if someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it :worship:

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good tutorial regarding the creation of new widgets?

---

@Zeta_Nexus
Try something like this after the iCurrentReligion line,
Code:
       iCivCannotConvertExampleCiv = gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_ELOHIM')
       if gc.getPlayer(self.iActivePlayer).getCivilizationType() == iCivCannotConvertExampleCiv:
           return 0
       iCivCannotConverttoSpecificReligion = gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_LANUN')
       iSpecificBlockedReligion = gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_RUNES_OF_KILMORPH')
       if gc.getPlayer(self.iActivePlayer).getCivilizationType() == iCivCannotConverttoSpecificReligion and iReligion == iSpecificBlockedReligion:
           return 0
The first three lines would create an agnostic civ, which could not convert to any religion (or are stuck with one if they start the game in a given religion) and something like the last four could be used to block a specific civ from converting to a specific religion.

How hard would it be to write up a mapscript that generates a map that's 50% coast (a flat huge square of coastal water) and 50% grassland? Basically I am thinking a map that's half blue and half green.
Like what would I need to do?

How hard would it be to write up a mapscript that generates a map that's 50% coast (a flat huge square of coastal water) and 50% grassland? Basically I am thinking a map that's half blue and half green.
Like what would I need to do?

You could try something like this in the mapscript where plot/terrain types are being set
Spoiler :

Code:
   iCoast = gc.getInfoTypeForString('TERRAIN_COAST')
   iGrass = gc.getInfoTypeForString('TERRAIN_GRASS')
   for iX in range(map.getGridWidth()):
       for iY in range(map.getGridHeight()):
           pPlot = map.plot(iX, iY)
           if (iX < (map.getGridWidth()/2)):
               plotTypes[iY * map.getGridWidth() + iX] = PlotTypes.PLOT_OCEAN
               pPlot.setTerrainType(iCoast, False, False)
           else:
               plotTypes[iY * map.getGridWidth() + iX] = PlotTypes.PLOT_LAND
               pPlot.setTerrainType(iGrass, False, False)

Which python files have to be edited and how can I make corporations auto spread themselves in cities controlled by a defined civ and how can I make corporations disappear if the city is conquered by another civ. If it's too hard to understand what I said here is an example:
The corporation named Brazilian spices route spreads only to Portuguese cites, if Spain conquers a Portuguese city that has that corporation it disappears.
Or how can I make corporations be more like in DoC and auto spread themself?
Thanks for any response!

Seems like a DoC specific question? Vanilla BtS has no Python code for that to plug into, you would have to write that from scratch.

It uses some event triggered functions, so you need to integrate them into the event handling somehow. I never suggest to blindly copy a DoC file (or any other mod's). Any module comes with dependencies.

My point is that you can use this file as a starting point to implement something similar (as I did, adapting the code originally from Sword of Islam). If you have specific questions about that particular implementation, it is probably better to ask them in the DoC forum.

Doing some minor tweaks on the original Beyond The Sword game. Have figured out quite a lot of things already and really like to discover and figuring things out in the bottom-up approach.

I have looked around on this forum for quite a while and couldn't find this particular issue and also noticed how a lot of the greater work here seem to have a very top-down approach on things which really doesn't suit me well. However the civfanatics Civ4_Modding_Tutorials have been of great help for me.

Quick question. How do I change when a bonus resource is revealed. Say for instance if I want Sheep to be revealed when discovering Animal Husbandry for instance?

At least on my installation there is both an Asset-folder under SMC4Bts AND SMC4Bts/BeyondtheSword with the corresponding XML-files and in some cases I have notice that if a thing is general regardless of expansion, it will not exist in the SMC4Bts/BeyondtheSword-folder and I have to alter it in the SMC4Bts-folder. Had seen that for several other things and I have had no problem figuring it out as I must then change the XML in the SMC4Bts folder. Had worked like a charm. Until this particular thing...

So with the "when is a bonus resource revealed"-issue, I noticed, that it appears to be no CIV4BonusInfos.xml in the SMC4Bts/BeyondtheSword-folder. However altering in the CIV4BonusInfos.xml to say change <TechReveal>NONE</TechReveal> to <TechReveal>TECH_ANIMAL_HUSBANDRY</TechReveal> will not in fact do the trick as it have done on other things. So is there a place in the SMC4Bts/BeyondtheSword-folder where this can be altered that I somehow have not yet discovered or what's the deal?

Best Regards

Last edited:
Doing some minor tweaks on the original Beyond The Sword game. Have figured out quite a lot of things already and really like to discover and figuring things out in the bottom-up approach.

I have looked around on this forum for quite a while and couldn't find this particular issue and also noticed how a lot of the greater work here seem to have a very top-down approach on things which really doesn't suit me well. However the civfanatics Civ4_Modding_Tutorials have been of great help for me.

Quick question. How do I change when a bonus resource is revealed. Say for instance if I want Sheep to be revealed when discovering Animal Husbandry for instance?

At least on my installation there is both an Asset-folder under SMC4Bts AND SMC4Bts/BeyondtheSword with the corresponding XML-files and in some cases I have notice that if a thing is general regardless of expansion, it will not exist in the SMC4Bts/BeyondtheSword-folder and I have to alter it in the SMC4Bts-folder. Had seen that for several other things and I have had no problem figuring it out as I must then change the XML in the SMC4Bts folder. Had worked like a charm. Until this particular thing...

So with the "when is a bonus resource revealed"-issue, I noticed, that it appears to be no CIV4BonusInfos.xml in the SMC4Bts/BeyondtheSword-folder. However altering in the CIV4BonusInfos.xml to say change <TechReveal>NONE</TechReveal> to <TechReveal>TECH_ANIMAL_HUSBANDRY</TechReveal> will not in fact do the trick as it have done on other things. So is there a place in the SMC4Bts/BeyondtheSword-folder where this can be altered that I somehow have not yet discovered or what's the deal?

Best Regards
To change the bonus reveal tech you should do as you mention above <TechReveal>TECH_WHATEVER</TechReveal>.
I have no idea what you are talking about when you say SMCBts.
Do you have the CD or the Steam version?
Path to Steam version: Program files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/XML/Terrain/BonusInfos.xml
CD Version (not sure if this is correct): 2K Games/Firxis (not sure if this part is correct)/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/XML/Terrain/BonusInfos.xml.
Anyway if you are asking where the BonusInfos.xml is, it's not in the Assets folder. You have to copy it from the Warlords folder or Vanilla.

To change the bonus reveal tech you should do as you mention above <TechReveal>TECH_WHATEVER</TechReveal>.
Path to Steam version: Program files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/XML/Terrain/BonusInfos.xml
CD Version (not sure if this is correct): 2K Games/Firxis (not sure if this part is correct)/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/XML/Terrain/BonusInfos.xml.
Anyway if you are asking where the BonusInfos.xml is, it's not in the Assets folder. You have to copy it from the Warlords folder or Vanilla.

Thank you for the quick response.

Well I am unfortunately running the Steam versions as my older CDs are simply to scratchy from years of playing. I do suspect my folder structure is some weird mess steam have caused over the years. You see on my game I have a folder called Assets under steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond the Sword as well that seem to be some confusing dinosaur or I don't really get it. Anyway, I currently have no BonusInfos.xml in the folder common/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/XML/Terrain/ as I assume you suspect I don't. I will try and reinstall the vanilla game and copy the xml-file from there and see if it does the trick.

I now tried copying that file, but then it caused an error as it expects the tag iAIObjective after iAITradeModifier instead of iHealth as it is from the vanilla game. So should I copy more xml-files onto the BeyondTheSword-folders to make it work, and if so which ones?

In the folder /steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/XML/Terrain/ i now have the following files:

CIV4BonusInfos
CIV4FeatureInfos
CIV4ImprovementInfos
CIV4TerrainInfos
CIV4TerrainSchema

I now tried copying that file, but then it caused an error as it expects the tag iAIObjective after iAITradeModifier instead of iHealth as it is from the vanilla game. So should I copy more xml-files onto the BeyondTheSword-folders to make it work, and if so which ones?

In the folder /steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/XML/Terrain/ i now have the following files:

CIV4BonusInfos
CIV4FeatureInfos
CIV4ImprovementInfos
CIV4TerrainInfos
CIV4TerrainSchema
Ok below I attached a zip which contains the CIV4BonusInfos.xml and it won't cause an error if you put it.

Attachments

• CIV4BonusInfos.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 32
If you ever need any other help just tell me:)!

Thanks again. How about this one. I am wondering where I can alter what tech enables you to trigger production into a commerce. I mean in vanilla music for instance enables you to swap production to culture, alphabet to science etc.

And also is it possible to set the ratio at how the shields are converted. I am probably looking to get me early access to culture production but with a poor shield to culture ratio (like 25%) giving newly founded cities an additional option to expand their cultural borders early on. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom