• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Quick Questions and Answers

My reputation-decay with city-states is higher than it has been in other games, is that because I've captured a couple of city-states? Does the decay get greater with every one I dow/capture? Does the penalty itself decay over time?

Also, say I have two units to attack another unit (or city, whatever); one has a bonus, the other doesn't. Is there a better way around to do the attacks? Stronger then weaker, or weaker then stronger? If that makes sense.

Capturing city states does not change your influence decay rate with other CS's though as mentioned above, it can change your resting point with other CS's and eventually will cause all the remaining CS to declare permanent war on you, if you keep warmongering against them.

Hi guys, I'm new here but I'm not new to the Civ. I have played both CivIV and CivV with G&K.

In my current game I have chosen only one way to win: domination. My current year in the game is now 1800AD. I am wondering the year 2050. When there is no way to win time victory, is the game going to continue after year 2050?

If time victory is disabled I'm pretty certain the game will continue after 2050. I haven't had a game go that long in quite a while though, so it's possible it will just end in a draw/defeat.

I don't know if this has been asked before but, I am new to the game and went thru almost half the posts and did not find what I was looking for.

Q: Since I have Civ4 The Complete Edition and Civ5, should I buy the previous games of Civ (i.e. Civ1-3) to get the entire experience of the game? or are they included in Civ4-5? :confused:

Civ 1-3 are not "included" in Civ 4-5 beyond their obvious influence in their development. They're not sequels but remakes. The game has evolved quite a lot over the decades since Civ 1. I've played and thoroughly enjoyed them all but never have much if any desire to boot back up the older games barring occasional fits of nostalgia. Civ 4 is the pinnacle of the unit-stacking, square tile incarnation of the game and the older titles just feel dated and clunky any more. Civ 5 is a solid first draft of where the series is hopefully going in Civ 6 and beyond. With those you really have the best the series has to offer.

Do puppet cities ever build courthouses?

No, only annexed cities are eligible to build courthouses, so puppets can't even if they wanted to.

I'm playing a game on Chieftain level (I'm a noob) and am getting close to the end of the game. When I click on victory progress for a diplomatic victory (the UN hasn't been created yet though), the game says I need 16 votes to win a dipl. victory. The problem is there are only 6 civ's and 6 city states so only 12 votes are available. No civs or city states were conquered in the game by anybody.

Can anyone tell me how come it says I need more votes than it is possible to get??

Thanks!

Can you gift a conquered capital to another Civ? I'm playing a domination game for the first time, on a huge map, I'm wondering if an efficient way to do it might be to capture a capital and then just give it to one of their allies

Can you gift a conquered capital to another Civ? I'm playing a domination game for the first time, on a huge map, I'm wondering if an efficient way to do it might be to capture a capital and then just give it to one of their allies

Yes, you can sell the city to another AI if you want.

If she lost the only resources she had it possible that an enemy (it's Dido we're talking about) or barbarians pillaged a tile, which would nullfy the agreement.. unless they patched that.

Yes, you can sell the city to another AI if you want.

Cool. Would an allied civ probably just sell/give it back to them though?

Also, is there a thread detailing the diplomacy pointers? I'm specifically wondering whether "you made a promise to another civ to move your troops" stays with me forever, but it'd be interesting to read through it in depth.

Cool. Would an allied civ probably just sell/give it back to them though?

Also, is there a thread detailing the diplomacy pointers? I'm specifically wondering whether "you made a promise to another civ to move your troops" stays with me forever, but it'd be interesting to read through it in depth.

The AI players never sell/gift cities between them. The only danger would be if they were at war with each other.

I think there's a diplomacy thread somewhere in the Strategy forum. But I think the modifier lasts for 50 turns.

I don't know if this has been asked before but, I am new to the game and went thru almost half the posts and did not find what I was looking for.

Q: Since I have Civ4 The Complete Edition and Civ5, should I buy the previous games of Civ (i.e. Civ1-3) to get the entire experience of the game? or are they included in Civ4-5? :confused:

Another point to consider is that both Civ1 and Civ2 were 16bit games. They're hard to get installed and working under Windows 7, and Windows XP will not be supported by Microsoft after April 2014. The good thing about those games is that they require very few system resources (memory, graphics), so that you can play them on an older computer.

As another person commented, each of the installments in the series were different games, and have fundamental changes in the way they are played. Civ2 had only 2 victory conditions: launch the spaceship, or conquer the world by wiping out every AI city. It also had wonderful/hilarious mini-videos of the advisors, who gave you suggestions about running your empire. The trade system included units which delivered goods (a bit like Civ 5 BNW), but no cultural borders.

Civ3 has quite a loyal following here on CivFanatics. It had simpler graphics, and introduced cultural borders (and 2 types of cultural victories), and ranged units. It also introduced the idea of resources that were needed to build certain units, diplomatic victory thru the UN, and improved trading options over Civ2.

Civ4 amplified nearly every aspect of Civ3 -- diplomacy, culture, espionage, military combat, and resources. It also introduced the ideas of Great People and religions (as you know, since you own it). For a Civ4 player, the appeal of playing Civ3 would be a streamlined, faster-paced game. Civ3 armies were great fun. With an empire that could include 50, 70 cities or more, one truly feels like the master of the world.

One can pick up Civ3 complete for a low price -- it's worth a try.

Why are some civilizations Friendly when you meet them for the first time, or friendly a short while after you meet them and it still says "There haven't been any major incidents which have shaped your relationship"?

Why are some civilizations Friendly when you meet them for the first time, or friendly a short while after you meet them and it still says "There haven't been any major incidents which have shaped your relationship"?
Depends mostly on what you could call their 'character'. This thread could help you understand things a lot better: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=409062.

Depends mostly on what you could call their 'character'. This thread could help you understand things a lot better: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=409062.

Thanks a lot.

Does anyone know when you can tell you're ready to move up a difficulty level? I'm trying to shift from Prince to King but my first game isn't going well, got a bad start on food growth and I'm sort of lacking in everything, but haven't been in a war yet (It's on epic, 1595) I chose Spain for first King Dif game, probably not a good choice, should I chose someone who has a food/growth advantage like the Netherlands?

Thanks a lot.

Does anyone know when you can tell you're ready to move up a difficulty level? I'm trying to shift from Prince to King but my first game isn't going well, got a bad start on food growth and I'm sort of lacking in everything, but haven't been in a war yet (It's on epic, 1595) I chose Spain for first King Dif game, probably not a good choice, should I chose someone who has a food/growth advantage like the Netherlands?

I played 3-4 games per difficulty level when I moved up the ladder. Generally one victory of each type(aside from time). Though the jumps to immortal and deity will require more practice since those jumps are much larger than any other.

If a worker didn't finish building a road on some tile, how long the road prebuilt can be preserved for in this tile?
I mean whether the worker would be able to return to the tile and finish the road construction after 10-15 turns?

If a worker didn't finish building a road on some tile, how long the road prebuilt can be preserved for in this tile?
I mean whether the worker would be able to return to the tile and finish the road construction after 10-15 turns?

I'm pretty sure the pre-build will stay forever.

Might post the question over in Creation & Customization, where there are probably more folks who know how to ferret information out of live game files.

I'm playing a game on Chieftain level (I'm a noob) and am getting close to the end of the game. When I click on victory progress for a diplomatic victory (the UN hasn't been created yet though), the game says I need 16 votes to win a dipl. victory. The problem is there are only 6 civ's and 6 city states so only 12 votes are available. No civs or city states were conquered in the game by anybody.

Can anyone tell me how come it says I need more votes than it is possible to get??

Thanks!

Anybody ever seen this happen??

Anybody ever seen this happen??

Did you change the default number of civs/city states in the game? Votes for victory are determined by map size not actual players at game start, so if you've dropped the number of people in the game you might not have enough.

Top Bottom