Quick Questions and Answers

There sort of is a way to use mods permanently, though I would only recommend it with very non-intrusive changes. You can directly modify the core game files with your mod, which will not only allow it to be run without the mod interface but also allows you to gain achievements playing with your mod. The biggest downside is that the game will revert all such changes every time it updates from Steam. About the only "mod" I have made this way is changing the max XP from barbs from 30 to 60, but you could theoretically make any changes a mod can do in this way. Modify core game files at your own risk. Also, make sure everyone playing a multiplayer match with you has made the same changes, or unexpected things may occur.

Is this how the high score tables were broken? Essentially hacking the game?

Thank you. This is exactly what I am looking for. Can you be more specific about how to do it or perhaps direct me to someplace that might explain how to do it?

All of the vanilla game's XML files are located in "...\Steam\Steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\Gameplay\XML" in various subdirectories. These are the easiest to make changes to, such as the Barbarian XP cap I mentioned earlier which is in globaldefines.xml. These are the same files that get superceded by the mod engine when it loads a mod. Each DLC has its own resource tree off of the Assets\DLC directory that works the same as the vanilla directory. If you want more detailed information on modding I would recommend visiting the Creation and Customization forums on this site. Civ 4 mods made full replacements to these sorts of XML files rather than the more "line item" approach of Civ 5, so you might get some additional information from looking at the customization forums for that game as well.

Is this how the high score tables were broken? Essentially hacking the game?

Possibly, I'm not familiar with the breaking of high score tables. Some people are just really really good at racking up huge scores, with a couple decades of practice.

bnw. great artist. I've used them fine several times in this game before, but all of a sudden, I can use them to start golden ages but there isn't even an option for creating a great work of art. is this because I am in the atomic age? there are plenty of slots open for them...

bnw. great artist. I've used them fine several times in this game before, but all of a sudden, I can use them to start golden ages but there isn't even an option for creating a great work of art. is this because I am in the atomic age? there are plenty of slots open for them...

Are you close enough to your city? If you are further than one hex away you can't use them. AFAIK the age makes no difference.

Can someone tell me which Civ 5 DLC allows you to trade techs with other nations?

I'm 99.99% certain there's no such DLC.

How does one plunder an enemy trade route? Do I have to physically catch the running men with their caravans?

Yes. Although the caravan automatically takes the quickest route regardless of danger and it will happily walk right into enemy units and get plundered that way.

In other words - should I just use the overlay to point out enemy routes, station a unit there, and then wait for them to come to me? The caravans are too fast to "catch" otherwise imo.

Also: assuming I've teched to Industrialization, and buy a CS with coal and a mine on the coal, is there any reason I didn't receive his coal immediately? I'm guessing it's because his own tech meter hadn't reached Industrialization, which is ******ed, since I could "gift a resource" on another CS without the mine to get the insta-coal. Thanks.

In other words - should I just use the overlay to point out enemy routes, station a unit there, and then wait for them to come to me? The caravans are too fast to "catch" otherwise imo.

Also: assuming I've teched to Industrialization, and buy a CS with coal and a mine on the coal, is there any reason I didn't receive his coal immediately? I'm guessing it's because his own tech meter hadn't reached Industrialization, which is ******ed, since I could "gift a resource" on another CS without the mine to get the insta-coal. Thanks.

I don't know that the caravans are particularly difficult to catch with a mounted unit. Certainly I've had more experience with pillaging ships and they seem to stop during a turn to allow a submarine to pillage them.

As for the coal, I think you are correct. There is also an annoying part when the CS will count a resource if it is adjoining their boundary but not actually inside it- so you have to wait for it to expand its borders.

Jandos, that is correct- which makes it a bit funny if you have an anti aircraft gun with a rough terrain upgrade firing at aircraft.

If you have open / rough terrain bonus on your archer does it counts for the tile where is the archer standing or for the tile where the target is ?

Ranged combat terrain bonuses are for the target hex. Melee combat terrain bonuses (which in certain upgrade possibilities may be on ranged units) count for the hex you're standing on for defense, and are useless on attack for ranged units (though apply based on the target hex when attacking with a melee unit, of course).

I'm new here...been playing since civ 2, however, I haven't yet purchased civ 5.

Now that there have been two expansion packs for civ 5 I'm interested in it, but I'd kind of rather wait until all of the expansion packs are out. Is there a consensus opinion (or even any facts about) as to whether there will be more civ 5 expansions? Or, will civ 6 just be next.

I love civ 4 and don't want to switch until civ 5 seems "complete."

if i choose a win type that does not include "Culture victory" i shouldn't waste musican/writers on creating master pieces right? i should just use "golden age" or "add culture points" ? or even master pieces are useful when NOT activating "Culture victory"?

if i choose a win type that does not include "Culture victory" i shouldn't waste musican/writers on creating master pieces right? i should just use "golden age" or "add culture points" ? or even master pieces are useful when NOT activating "Culture victory"?

All Great Works also create culture. You also do NOT want an AI which is going for a culture victory to have levels of influence over you if you go for different ideologies, so having strong culture AND tourism are still important (though you need not be the strongest)!

You might choose to apply some of your musician/writers for golden ages/culture spikes, but doing so for all of them may be perilous before you know how things are in the late game. Unless you are confident you will be dominant, of course. :D

what is the fastest promotion route to get logistics for triplanes/fighters/jet fighters?

ideally actually i'd like to get air-repair first, and then start working towards logistics. does anyone have an order of promotions that they follow to accomplish this?

Top Bottom