Quick Questions and Answers

Go either Sweep or Interception. Both of those promotions are effectively non-functional, so it doesn't matter ... until they get fixed.

Because they MAY get fixed, I tend to promote as if they are functional (to have good habits established for when they are). I generally go about 3-4 interceptors to 1 sweeper.

Go either Sweep or Interception. Both of those promotions are effectively non-functional, so it doesn't matter ... until they get fixed.

Because they MAY get fixed, I tend to promote as if they are functional (to have good habits established for when they are). I generally go about 3-4 interceptors to 1 sweeper.

Can you elaborate on what makes them "non-functional"?

I was wondering what happens when two military units end their turn at the same hex. This can happen in cities when you already have one garrisoned and use the just new built one to attack an enemy.

Can you elaborate on what makes them "non-functional"?

According to MadDjinn (I think it was in a recent PolyCast or Modcast), fighters on sweep or intercept are supposed to take damage in addition to affecting the other's aircraft; sweep & interception promotions would affect the damage inflicted.

Is Steam still required to play Civ V?
I bot Gold Edition pre-intro & then found it REQUIRED "Steam" to play when i installed. :badcomp:

As with MANY others, i uninstalled it. :sad:
It's NO ONE's biz when & what i play & FORCE me to be online just to enjoy myself. :mad:
(too bad we can't all uninstall the NSA & other gov't snoops as easily)

Hopefully, the creators of this GREAT game series have seen the errors of their manipulative ways & ended that requirement in the newer versions? We REALLY would like to play... in private. :help:

Is Steam still required to play Civ V?
I bot Gold Edition pre-intro & then found it REQUIRED "Steam" to play when i installed. :badcomp:

As with MANY others, i uninstalled it. :sad:
It's NO ONE's biz when & what i play & FORCE me to be online just to enjoy myself. :mad:
(too bad we can't all uninstall the NSA & other gov't snoops as easily)

Hopefully, the creators of this GREAT game series have seen the errors of their manipulative ways & ended that requirement in the newer versions? We REALLY would like to play... in private. :help:

Steam is the copy-protection software tool used by Civ V and its expansion packs. You need to install it to activate the game, and be online *once*. After that, you may set the Steam client to run in off-line mode, and it will not "phone home" with your play data. Once it is activated, you may retain your privacy. It is *not* a requirement that you have an active internet connection to play the game.

I'm new here...been playing since civ 2, however, I haven't yet purchased civ 5.

Now that there have been two expansion packs for civ 5 I'm interested in it, but I'd kind of rather wait until all of the expansion packs are out. Is there a consensus opinion (or even any facts about) as to whether there will be more civ 5 expansions? Or, will civ 6 just be next.

I love civ 4 and don't want to switch until civ 5 seems "complete."

Do space ship parts get destroyed by nukes in BNW? Don't know about how it was before.

Saw these two posts slip past.

1) God only knows, but new content was slipped in along with the latest updates by those cheeky lads at Firaxis. At the very least, that seems to indicate that there will be a new DLC.

2) Assuming you mean after they have been contributed, no.

Hey Guys, great to join the community!

Trading with my own cities: I can't figure out how to trade between my own cities? I'm very new to the game so maybe I'm overlooking something. Do I need to build roads? Also, is there only one Civ Character that has Caravans? I can't seem to trade on land with other Civ's/City States?

Religion: I had some missions and converted another Civ, but I don't know how that actually benefits me?

I've have tones more questions, LOL, but these were two that were pressing my mind.

Can't trade gold between your onw cities. You can build roads to connect your cities (city connections will generate gold, but each road segment costs 1 gold per turn, so it generally isn't economically viable to build roads (for income purposes) until the destination city has a population that equals or exceeds the number of additoinal road segments required to connect it.

To send food or production from one of your cities to another, with a caravan or a cargo ship, you need a granary (for food) or workshop (for production) in the "sending" city.

In terms of inability to trade with CSs and other civs, one frequent problem is that the closest cities may be out of range. You can extend land caravan range with roads.

On religion, the main reason is to enjoy the benefits of your founder beliefs. Check out the religion articles in the War Academy.

Can't trade gold between your onw cities. You can build roads to connect your cities (city connections will generate gold, but each road segment costs 1 gold per turn, so it generally isn't economically viable to build roads (for income purposes) until the destination city has a population that equals or exceeds the number of additoinal road segments required to connect it.

To send food or production from one of your cities to another, with a caravan or a cargo ship, you need a granary (for food) or workshop (for production) in the "sending" city.

In terms of inability to trade with CSs and other civs, one frequent problem is that the closest cities may be out of range. You can extend land caravan range with roads.

On religion, the main reason is to enjoy the benefits of your founder beliefs. Check out the religion articles in the War Academy.

Thanks Browd, I'm guessing that its just a learning experience for me as this game has so much depth and loaded with what seems as endless permutations. I appreciate the quick response. Naturally I have tons more questions, but I'm sure its just a matter of getting into the game and experiencing it as I go. :)

According to MadDjinn (I think it was in a recent PolyCast or Modcast), fighters on sweep or intercept are supposed to take damage in addition to affecting the other's aircraft; sweep & interception promotions would affect the damage inflicted.

And they... are not affecting the damage inflicted?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand.

And they... are not affecting the damage inflicted?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand.

I had assumed that they affect damage inflicted, but (as you may have seen yourself) Sweep does not involve damage on anyone.

Otherwise, the info from MadDjinn is all I have,
and it was from long enough ago (as long as a 2-3 months?) I can't source it any better either.

Question: what's the best price for a Steam key (or retail copy) -- legally, so no shady Russian game key website for $5, I see those all the time -- for:

Civ V
G&K
BNW
All DLC that include one or more civ, because having all civs is really cool.

Thanks, if somebody knows something well-priced and trustable (other than buying from Steam itself, which is not well-priced).

Also, could somebody explain which "package deals" include everything on Steam? I have lost track and since there are so many DLC, some in a package with Civ V and others in a package with a few other DLC only.... I can't simply find what I'm looking for.

Question: what's the best price for a Steam key (or retail copy) -- legally, so no shady Russian game key website for $5, I see those all the time -- for:

Civ V
G&K
BNW

Thanks, if somebody knows something well-priced and trustable (other than buying from Steam itself, which is not well-priced).

Also, could somebody explain which "package deals" include everything on Steam? I have lost track and since there are so many DLC, some in a package with Civ V and others in a package with a few other DLC only.... I can't simply find what I'm looking for.

I bought my copies from Amazon, which seemed reasonable in the USA. I bought the "Civ V: Game of the Year Edition" which included all the DLC, and then bought G&K separately several months after it came out. You can also find "Civ V: Gold Edition" on Amazon, or another retailer, which includes vanilla, G&K, and all the DLC.

AFAIK, Firaxis has not yet released a bundle which includes BNW; it still must be purchased separately.

Civ V
G&K
BNW

I bought my copies from Amazon, which seemed reasonable in the USA. I bought the "Civ V: Game of the Year Edition" which included all the DLC, and then bought G&K separately several months after it came out. You can also find "Civ V: Gold Edition" on Amazon, or another retailer, which includes vanilla, G&K, and all the DLC.

AFAIK, Firaxis has not yet released a bundle which includes BNW; it still must be purchased separately.

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking around and found the following deal:

Greenmangaming.com offers a package including the Gold edition (Vanilla + G&K + all DLC released up till now) and BNW. Using the following code, you get another 20% discount (valid for all digital download games, which applies to many, many games, valid through the 13th of September): GMG20-8MUTY-M21VN.

Got the complete package for only €19,04. Steam codes instantaneously in my inbox.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when it comes to military unit I will get an option to upgrade my unit whenever upgrade is available. It may require me to be within my boarders and then the button to upgrade will be gray-out, but I will see it in my unit option. Wright?

Right. Once you have the required tech to upgrade, the upgrade buton will appear, but will be greyed out until you are both in your own borders and have enough gold to do the upgrade.

Right. Once you have the required tech to upgrade, the upgrade buton will appear, but will be greyed out until you are both in your own borders and have enough gold to do the upgrade.

Thanks for that, just was making sure I got it right:)

Again, just making sure as english is not my first language. When they saying " x count still required: y" then they saying that this x still needs to be build and y is the number of how many things should be build? Like "Monument count still required: 1 St. Louis" tells me that I still need to build monument in St. Louis but "Barracks count still required: 5" means that I need to build 5 barracks but it doesn't matter in which city I'll build them. Am I getting this right?

Top Bottom