1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

Production times for spaceship parts were increased per the big fall patch. Consult the change log for specifics, but I think the increase was significant.

Can anyone direct me to a reference that outlines when events happen with respect to your turn ending? So far, my understanding is:

Column 1 Column 2
    Before your turn begins After your turn ends
    Trade units move Non-trade units move
    City production & growth processed Units Heal
    Gold/Science/Culture applied

I know this could be determined through careful observation, but this is a quick answers thread, which I'm looking for. The big question I'm looking to get out of this is how affected the player is by events that take place during the opponents' turn. If a resource trade ends during the opponents' turn, which causes my civilization to become unhappy, did my growth just suffer the unhappy bonus, or do I have another turn to reestablish the trade?

If my table above is going in the correct direction, this feels different from CivIV days where the expected values of science, gold, culture etc. were applied after your turn ends, but before the opponents' starts. Best example is having one turn to go on a wonder. From what I remember of CivIV, if you had one turn to go, it was essentially yours. In Civ 5 you have to keep your fingers crossed when processing all the opponents' turns in order to receive the wonder.

2. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

Was something changed with Denmark's AI recently? In my latest game, Harald was building a ton of wonders in Copenhagen, and was generally doing pretty well (until I took his capital, of course) and even after that, he declared war on the tech leader, Persia. Also, Polynesia and Indonesia had inland locations. Seeing as I had both Random Personalities and Disable Start Bias off, can anyone explain this?

3. clearbeard

clearbeard King

It's been a while since I've played without any DLC, but SS parts have required aluminum now for quite a while. I can't say for sure they did from launch but that is my recollection. It's been a necessary part of the Science OCC to have to beg borrow or steal sufficient aluminum to win for as long as I've played that way. Do you play on Epic/Marathon? I haven't played since the recent patch mentioned previously, but even 10-20 turns to produce a space ship part seems very long to me.

If Harald was doing well production and tech wise, why wouldn't he build a lot of wonders? And trying to rein in a leader sounds like a good idea too. I'm not sure what your issue is with this behavior.

As for start bias, it's only a bias not a sure thing. If there is no biased start position near the initial spawn they won't end up in their "preferred" setup. This happens particularly often with Pangaea maps where there might not be enough coastal locations for a high percentage of coastal civs, but can happen on other map types.

4. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

Generally speaking, Harald does pretty badly. Just by the vast improvenment on his part, I'd suspected that something had been changed, because aside from Copenhagen, all of his cities were on Snow tiles. I was just more surprised by this than anything else.

For the start bias, there was a ton of costal area on the map. Indonesia had a continent to themselves, and still didn't spawn on the coast. I just found it quite strange,

5. RonMar

RonMar Warlord

I have had games where I had no Aluminum. I just changed my final teching to get recycling plants. I was able to produce enough to build the SS parts. It meant not too many Aluminum other requiring units, though.

6. Playsoneasy

Playsoneasy Chieftain

I've been playing my first ever Civ V (Gods and kings) playthrough and will soon be getting Brave New World. Will adding BNW to Civ V change anything in my current playthrough or will this only come into effect when I start a new game?

7. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Only when you start a new game. Your existing save file will "remember" that it is G&K and will automatically disable BNW when you load the save.

8. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

I could use some help and advice please! I really don't understand combat math when it comes to calculating city capture mechanics, so could use some advice and assistance in how to figure it out as its a GOTM.

Here's what I know:

City has 250 HP, and is strength 24. I'm expecting a crossbow defense, so I guess that's up to 27 or 28, depending on when the rounding happens. It has walls....and a castle may go up during the siege. Not overly surprised if it happens. I guess defense would hit 35 or so in that case.

Here's what I don't know...

How fast will the city heal? How it is possible to calculate a range of how much damage a city ranged attack will do to a melee unit?

So what I gotta know is...

So, assuming I'm attacking with 3 OR 4 OR 6 OR 7 full health crossbows (without VOLLEY!), how long will it take me to take the city? I don't know what the city heal rate might be.

How much damage will the city do to defending Pikemen (assuming flat land)?

Please show the math!

Thanks!

9. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

What is the difference between the atomic bomb and the nuclear bomb? Has anyone tried them both out and seen a difference? The only difference I've seen is that the nuclear bomb requires more hammers and it requires 1 more uranium resource.

10. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

Range as I recall.

11. M_85

M_85 Chieftain

Currently playing Civ V - "CotNW" scenario (2).
    Have now played as several of the six possible Leaders and am confused (?) :confused:
    Apparently, no matter who I chose for my Civ., once time runs out and the World Congress (?) "votes" for the "winner", I receive an "ACHIEVEMENT" for whoever it is that HAS won even when it is not me ( which is most of the time )...
    Seems sort of strange to be awarded an "achievement" I actually didn't earn.
    Comments ??

12. clearbeard

clearbeard King

Civ 5 has, over its history, had several bugged achievements. This is just another in the list and not really a surprise at all. Achievements in general seem to be added just to increase the addiction factor for certain personality types (like mine) and to head off "OMG y no steem badges?" questions. For now, be happy you can complete them with fewer playthroughs!

13. APCY

APCY Chieftain

What religion traits i should take with Ethiopia on immortal? I wanted to take desert folklore as first but there no deserts nor tundra. Maybe growth rate or faith from national wonders? I got two salts maybe earth mother?

14. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Earth Mother may be best from your description, but you should think about pantheons more broadly, particular in terms of your likely settlement spots, not just the terrain around your capital.

15. M_85

M_85 Chieftain

Thanks for the reply. Sort of figured it would be something like that ( BUGS ! :aargh: ).

Still enjoy playing and have had some success going after the other Civs,
    wiping them out and then asking for the "Just One More Turn" and continuing
    to play racking up numbers for such things as tile purchases, temple building,
    etc. so as to some day amass enough for some of the "counting" Achievements.

Still having trouble acquiring the "United Nations" achievement and of
    course it's the only ( last ) one I need to get the "Build All Wonders".

Thanks again ...

16. aksully

aksully Deity

Hopefully easy question...Ready to start my first Civ 5 game. What would be the first/best civ/s to play in my first game? Thanks in advance!

17. Stellarnight

Stellarnight Warlord

For starter Civs :

Poland: UA is passive and easy to understand. Free social policies allow you to experiment around:) UU and UB are self explanatory. Strong Civ as well.

Shoshone: Great starting advantage with immediate extra tiles. Pathfinders are fantastic and Comanche riders are simple to use. Though their UA does lend to anger and irritation from other Civs due to their land grabbing abilities. Defensive bonus should see you victorious against invaders.

Babylon: Get free GS and plant GS. Do whatever you want as tech leader:)

18. aksully

aksully Deity

TY for your suggestions and comments...much appreciated!

19. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Does anyone know where I can buy the civilization 5 bnw map packs in a store for cash?

20. APCY

APCY Chieftain

I got quick question. If i puppeted a city which have wonder notre dame will that city give me those 10 happiness? Or i need to annex it to get notre dame bonus?