1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Puppet is fine. You don't need to annex to get any building/wonder benefits.

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Only exceptions are the two wonders (Alhambra and Brandenburg) that provide promotions for units built in that city. Since a puppet won't produce units, you would need to annex the city to produce units with those promotions.

Also, since Alhambra provides a culture boost in that city, although it's not necessary to annex the city to get Alhambra's base benefit, you may want to annex the city to build more culture buildings in that city, eliminate the puppet culture discount and max out Alhambra's culture benefits.

3. civdiv

civdiv Chieftain

How do Theme bonuses work?

Wiki says that the Uffizi needs 3 Great Works of Art from the same civilization and the same era.

I am brazil and I have 3 great works of art, all from the ancient era and from Brazil but I did not get the theming bonus for this or for the Sistine chapel which has similar requirement.

4. Browd

I doubt they were works of art, if they were from the ancient era. They were probably ancient era artifacts. Anything dug up by an archaeologist is an artifact, while works of art are generated by Great Artists (or, in the case of the Pantheon, a Work of Art just appears when the Pantheon is completed).

5. maurizio_if

maurizio_if Chieftain

Hi guys when i press "F9" there's a number for see my power in army..
    but how is calculated..
    i dont know a "cannon" had a points and a "warrior" another??
    thanjs

6. BuzWeaverCiv

BuzWeaverCiv Warlord

I had 48 votes with Washington for Diplomatic Victory and in another gamer Alexander, I had 46 votes, but in both games I didn't win via Diplomatic victory. How many votes did I need?

7. Browd

Varies from game to game, and depends on whether civs and CSs that started the game still exist. From Civilopedia: "The amount of delegate support required to win [diplo victory] depends on the number of civilizations and city-states in the game, and can be seen on the World Congress and Victory Progress screens. If no civilization receives enough support to win a World Leader resolution, the two civilizations that received the most support will permanently gain additional delegates."

8. BuzWeaverCiv

BuzWeaverCiv Warlord

Thanks Browd. In both games I had every single City State, except for one when I played Alexander, but when I played Washington I had every single City State. I was playing on Warlord difficulty, but I had one it pre-fall patch with Siam and 38 votes.

9. JustinianIV

JustinianIV Warlord

Have there been any new civs announced since the release of BNW? I've been away.

10. Browd

No new civs. Only post-BNW DLC have been map packs.

11. nailertn

nailertn Chieftain

Since the changes to gold in bnw, what's the point of working water tiles that have no additional resources?

Are natural wonders considered mountains for the sake of building an observatory?

In ranged vs ranged unit combat does the defending unit use ranged or normal CS?

Being new to civ 5 I have trouble assessing the maximum yield potential of tiles. Either I use a mod or I have to visit 4-5 wiki pages on average just to figure out one tile. Is there an article / spreadsheet that succintly summarizes all possible improvements including technology / buildings / wonders / tenets / etc...?

Thanks!

12. Vilden

Vilden Chieftain

Hello,

I got a question concerning the research agreements. I play multiplayer with my girlfriend which means: 2 human players and rest ai. Here's the problem: the ai is almost always low on gold an therefore not able to sign research agreements with me. That leaves me with around 160 science at turn 287 currently going for archaeology which looks pretty slow compared to most payers around here. Difficulty is Prince so far, Map is huge (10xAI), pangaea.

Thanks for any shared help.

13. Browd

You can buy gold per turn from the AI in return for your lump sum gold. You can also buy resources you don't need. You can just gift the gold the AI needs.

Or you can focus on why your science is so low (which has nothing to do with research agreements, but is why the RAs you do get won't yield much value). The Strategy & Tips forum has many threads discussing how best to get your tech rate up (important regardless of victory condition you are pursuing). A recent one is http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=517632.

14. maxpac

maxpac Chieftain

If I accidently hit "give up" in the menu but then click "1 more turn etc" does it screw up something in my game? Can I still win? Ty

15. Browd

If by "give up" you mean Retire, you lost the game and cannot win during "just one more turn time." you can go through the motions of winning, but no victory screen will pop up.

You can reload an autosave from before you retired and play on from there, but it would not be appropriate to submit such a game in a competitive venue, like HOF or GOTM.

16. JustinianIV

JustinianIV Warlord

Gratitude!

17. taa511

taa511 Chieftain

Playing Japan on Prince level more than 6 or 7 times, just when doing well, taken a couple of capitols, the game hits me with penalites of 100+ gold and 30+ happiness. Happens repeatedly, until I have to give up as rebels all over. Seems arbitrary, or what am I doing wrong?

18. maxpac

maxpac Chieftain

Yes I meant retire. Thanks a lot! =)

Why would it not be appropriate to submit it in a competition? Because you're not allowed to reload a save? Just wondering.

19. iiilker99

iiilker99 Chieftain

Hello I'm new to this forum and Civilization. I bought Brave New World a week ago. I have some questions.

1- What happens if my city converts to another religion? How can I protect my cities from other civ's prophets without declaring a war?

2- I'm a scientific and militaristic player. But I have some problems with that white bird called "Faith". My Faith production is usually +12 to + 20 per turn. What Should I do?

Thanks.

20. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

Concert tours in the fall patch: still usable whilst in war? Usable in ocean?