1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. nascarfan999

nascarfan999 Chieftain

It sounds pretty useless, but it absolutely saved me in a game, and not even in a big choke point (details below).

I was playing an Earth game and started in the US as the only player in the Americas. When I finally started invading other civs via the Alaska/Russia "bridge", I had some success until I went for the English Capital city. I realized I had been too aggressive and was in danger of losing all of my cities in Asia. I was also greatly in debt so using a GG was a good option (and I was down to only a 3 turn golden age for using great people). Therefore, I used it to create a citadel between the capital and my closest city and was (barely) able to survive thanks in large part to it. Once I turned the economy around and could afford an army again, I steamrolled the rest of the civs and won easily. Now, this was only my 2nd ciV game so I made plenty of mistakes that got me into my situation, but once I was there the citadel helped me survive until I recovered.

2. ArtemisFowl

ArtemisFowl Chieftain

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP! I make mods, and upload them, and plenty of people then download them, but when I play them, they do nothing! I've even resorted to downloading simpler mods and making a 'new' mod, copying all their work exactly, then re-uploading that with a description warning people not to actually download it as it's only a test mod, and the mod won't work! I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I love modding and this is making me furious!

3. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Stupid NOOB question probably, but when I start a custom game, and get a real crappy start, can I regenerate the map using the same setting, without returning to the main menu and starting over? How?

4. jeramy

jeramy Chieftain

Hello

I have been using this site as a guest for a number of years, finally decided to join up and add to the value, hopefully.

I was recently playing ciV as Darius. I had built Chicken Itza, to get the +50% golden age bonus. When I later built the Taj Mahal, the automatic golden age begun, with a stated length of 49 turns!

The maths just doesnt add up to me. +50% for being Darius, +50% for the Taj Mahal, would that mean that the golden age would have been 24 turns normally??

By the end of that golden age, I had spawned enough great people to have continuous golden ages until victory.

Is this a bug? Any ideas?

I am not sure how to upload a save game, so if anyone wants to check the game out, let me know how to do that....

5. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Chieftain

Hello and welcome to civfanatics! [party]:band::dance::beer:
    Golden Age from Taj Mahal is longer than normal (happiness-based) Golden Age. Combined with Persia and Itza bonus it does indeed account to 49 turns or so. Some folks were reporting 70, or even 100 turns long Golden Ages!

So yeah, play away and enjoy your bonus hammers, gold, movement and strength :)
    No, not really :sad:
    I think there is some file somewhere in which you can manually change what are the settings for default start, but I'm not sure where, in config.ini there are only few related to sea level, worlds size etc, but not the civ you want to play or difficulty - perhaps some more advanced user will be of help...

@ArtemisFowl
    Are you starting the game from "Mods" section? If so, do you have your mods enabled (green tick mark on the right side of mod)?

EDIT to answer to ArtemisFowl:
    I'm sorry then, no clue what's wrong. It took me a bit to start using mods (it had sth to do with clicking the mod's name in various tabs), but since I don't have the game installed I can't even doublecheck that for you. Try perhaps posting your problem in Creation and Customization section, or Technical Help - maybe someone there will know how to help.

6. larson_boy

larson_boy Chieftain

Thx, Warrior, finally a concrete number at least..

7. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Why are the advisers always telling me to build workers when the last thing I need is another worker? AI civs also seem to build way too many workers for their own good.

8. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Chieftain

:eek:
    DON'T read what the advisers say, that feature is completely broken imo and should be disabled.

There, check Lemmy the Indecisive and his plucky British Advisor Sidekicks thread to see what happens if you're heeding to advisors tips :D

9. ArtemisFowl

ArtemisFowl Chieftain

Yes I do, I figured that much out =P and judging by the amount of downloads the mods are getting, people are getting and using them. But I just can't seem to play my own mods!!!

10. f99

f99 Chieftain

Hi,

since the last update I can now look into puppet cities, but I do not know how to annex them. There used to be a pop-up if you clicked on a puppet city. But that does not appear anymore.

Any help?

11. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

If you enter the city screen, is there not a button for it just near the "Buy tiles" and "Return to game" buttons, at the bottom?

If it's not a city state or capital city, there should also be an option to raze it.

12. Le Sage

Le Sage Chieftain

Is there a way to toggle the UI on and off? It would be nicer for taking screenshots.

Moderator Action: Post/thread merged.

13. katipo

katipo Chieftain

How do I shut down the opening animation(the one with the old indian guy) immediately?

I have tried esc, enter spacebar etc but nothing works until we have seen 15 - 20 seconds of it.

14. blackhawks2010

blackhawks2010 Chieftain

I am not used to downloading mods so I am very confused and I am hoping someone could help me out. I downloaded a mod pack for Civ V that will allow me to play as Stalin. I got it as a .rar and I downloaded WinRar. I am not sure how to use these files or how to get them so I could use them in my game. Can anyone help me?

15. nascarfan999

nascarfan999 Chieftain

This has been asked and answered multiple times in this thread. It can be stopped by editing one of the settings files directly, but it doesn't save you that much time as it still takes the same 15-20 seconds for the game to load.

16. Samson

Samson Warlord

Does anyone have a link to the answer? Thread search and site search cannot find it with any of: editing settings files, opening animation, start animation do not find anything useful.

17. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

usersettings.ini, located in My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

Change the line:
    SkipIntroVideo = 0
    so that it has a 1.

18. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

When playing with OCC checked (One City Challenge), can you still have puppet cities?

19. meatsounds

meatsounds Chieftain

No. The game automatically razes every city you capture, including enemy capitals. The city gets burnt down immediately as well, not even the slow burn you get in non-OCC games. You move a troop into the city, you get the 'you gain X gold from pillaging Y' screen, and then you see it shrink and disappear into ash.

20. katipo

katipo Chieftain

Do you know which file offhand?