Quick Questions and Answers

Is there any drawback at all in playing 99% of the time in Strategic View mode? A friend of mine noticed that I do this, and mentioned he read somewhere about a few bugs regarding combat in Strategic View. I couldn't find anything in the bug report subforum, though.

Is there any drawback at all in playing 99% of the time in Strategic View mode? A friend of mine noticed that I do this, and mentioned he read somewhere about a few bugs regarding combat in Strategic View. I couldn't find anything in the bug report subforum, though.

There were CTD bugs associated with playing that way, but I'm pretty sure they were fixed early. As I recall, one of the devs said in an early interview that's how he always plays too, so you're in good company.

A question about city-tile yields:
I thought the city tile provided the yields of the tile with a minimum of 2 food, 2 production, 1 gold provided by the city.
But has that changed? I never took notice, but just had a look and my city tile yield is 2 food, 1 production, 3 gold (ivory, river, hill).

Edit:
Ah, it was in the march patch:
"Cities now only get 1 free production and 0 free gold (1 less in both cases)"
So cities now are 2 food, 1 production, 0 gold? Should pay more attention to the starting position then! :D
You can get any tech that is available to you to research as far as I am aware.
Are you sure about that?
I thought only a few 'begin-techs' are labeled as "can be found in ruins"?

A question about city-tile yields:
I thought the city tile provided the yields of the tile with a minimum of 2 food, 2 production, 1 gold provided by the city.
But has that changed? I never took notice, but just had a look and my city tile yield is 2 food, 1 production, 3 gold (ivory, river, hill).
Are you sure about that?
I thought only a few 'begin-techs' are labeled as "can be found in ruins"?

Haven't been playing with ruins on recently, but 2 updates ago I got Calendar from ruins.

Haven't been playing with ruins on recently, but 2 updates ago I got Calendar from ruins.
Yeah, well, I meant 'early techs' when I said begin techs. Everything up to that vertical line of sailing,calendar, etc up to bronze working.
I can't remember every having gotten a later tech. Although I could be wrong of course.

Question(s):

-Is there an option to turn on quick-combat, so I don't have to waste my life watching paltry animations playing out tediously in succession every single turn? Likewise, is there an option so that I don't have to watch other peoples wars whom I happen to share a border with, as exciting as it is to watch AI Siam sit with a few archers and shoot at a city that shoots back every turn, I'd rather spare my life of this expense and invest myself elsewhere.

-Is there a way to turn off the AI constantly messaging me to denounce me? I don't care to talk to crazy schizophrenic people, it's taxing on my sense of reality, it forces me to question the solidity of everything. Isabella, with hundreds of points to my own, destroying everyone, needn't message me to tell me im a warmonger every turn, or better, to ally with me in a war against someone, then to denounce me, then to friend me, then to denounce me, with attitude shifts to make a persons head spin, all in a succession of turn for turn in order, not even allowing a grace period of one turn to pass to establish some sort of reason for the shift in behaviour towards me.

-Hotseat is broken. At the end of every single turn I need to do all sorts of magic tricks to make the turn pass. For example, after moving all troops it insists i have "units need orders". I click and it brings me to a unit who does not have orders. To make the turn pass I have to nevertheless click once on this unit who has no movement points left and with which I can do nothing. After clicking this unit, suddenly I am allowed to end my turn. Or, other times, it insists I must change production in a city, despite clicking a barracks, pressing back, clicking barracks again, three times before I realise "this is broke grr" and then I click a random unit and suddenly it no longer prompts me to 'change production' (yay).

-The strategy militarily is a vast improvement over previous editions of Civ, however it would be convenient if there were some means to rally non-garrisoned troops. After a large war it is the biggest hassle to have to click a troop, click to the other side of the map, click to move him, go back to original spot of troops, select another one, move to other side of map, click to send him there, over and over, for 30+ troops; troops which half the time you will have to reorder where to go, as they stumble over eachothers hexes in attempting to get to their destination (unless you are very careful, which you won't be, because you don't want to spend more time than necessary moving troops, an action which would take a "select all" "move all" in civ iv, a two second turn.

-Unhappiness is pretty bad. To puppet or not to puppet. To puppet saves you the hassle of having to control 50+ cities in a game, which makes every single turn a 30 minute turn of picking production in cities. Puppeting also theoretically decreases how much unhappiness to deal with.. except it doesn't work out so great, because to not puppet means you can buy a courthouse within a few turns and have zero unhappiness right away, whereas to puppet means you can watch in frustration as the puppeted builds lighthouses and bogs your entire empire down in unhappiness.

Yea.

Spoiler :
Question(s):

-Is there an option to turn on quick-combat, so I don't have to waste my life watching paltry animations playing out tediously in succession every single turn? Likewise, is there an option so that I don't have to watch other peoples wars whom I happen to share a border with, as exciting as it is to watch AI Siam sit with a few archers and shoot at a city that shoots back every turn, I'd rather spare my life of this expense and invest myself elsewhere.

-Is there a way to turn off the AI constantly messaging me to denounce me? I don't care to talk to crazy schizophrenic people, it's taxing on my sense of reality, it forces me to question the solidity of everything. Isabella, with hundreds of points to my own, destroying everyone, needn't message me to tell me im a warmonger every turn, or better, to ally with me in a war against someone, then to denounce me, then to friend me, then to denounce me, with attitude shifts to make a persons head spin, all in a succession of turn for turn in order, not even allowing a grace period of one turn to pass to establish some sort of reason for the shift in behaviour towards me.

-Hotseat is broken. At the end of every single turn I need to do all sorts of magic tricks to make the turn pass. For example, after moving all troops it insists i have "units need orders". I click and it brings me to a unit who does not have orders. To make the turn pass I have to nevertheless click once on this unit who has no movement points left and with which I can do nothing. After clicking this unit, suddenly I am allowed to end my turn. Or, other times, it insists I must change production in a city, despite clicking a barracks, pressing back, clicking barracks again, three times before I realise "this is broke grr" and then I click a random unit and suddenly it no longer prompts me to 'change production' (yay).

-The strategy militarily is a vast improvement over previous editions of Civ, however it would be convenient if there were some means to rally non-garrisoned troops. After a large war it is the biggest hassle to have to click a troop, click to the other side of the map, click to move him, go back to original spot of troops, select another one, move to other side of map, click to send him there, over and over, for 30+ troops; troops which half the time you will have to reorder where to go, as they stumble over eachothers hexes in attempting to get to their destination (unless you are very careful, which you won't be, because you don't want to spend more time than necessary moving troops, an action which would take a "select all" "move all" in civ iv, a two second turn.

-Unhappiness is pretty bad. To puppet or not to puppet. To puppet saves you the hassle of having to control 50+ cities in a game, which makes every single turn a 30 minute turn of picking production in cities. Puppeting also theoretically decreases how much unhappiness to deal with.. except it doesn't work out so great, because to not puppet means you can buy a courthouse within a few turns and have zero unhappiness right away, whereas to puppet means you can watch in frustration as the puppeted builds lighthouses and bogs your entire empire down in unhappiness.

Yea.

- No, not once a game has begun. Only once; when you are setting up the game at the beginning. After that, you've committed. It's really bad I know.
- No
- There seems to be an "end-turn" bug that has been introduced in later patch
- Sounds like you build too many troops
- Puppeting also keeps cost of policies down. Put trading posts around them to stunt their growth. Or just raze most AI cities and only really keep the good ones.

Also there is a rant thread.

too many troops. on a huge map i never manage to build enough, even with 30+ the ai who can perform their turns in seconds can with ease put together armies which are two or three times as large as mine, all nicely arranged on their landmass, or quickly able to go to areas they are needed. just saying, it would be nice if there were a means to quickly send your "army" as in, your non-garrisoned troops, to one location all at once.

thanks for the other answer, ill check out next time i start a game and see if i can turn off the animations.

too many troops. on a huge map i never manage to build enough, even with 30+ the ai who can perform their turns in seconds can with ease put together armies which are two or three times as large as mine, all nicely arranged on their landmass, or quickly able to go to areas they are needed. just saying, it would be nice if there were a means to quickly send your "army" as in, your non-garrisoned troops, to one location all at once.

thanks for the other answer, ill check out next time i start a game and see if i can turn off the animations.

I admit it happened maybe once that I kind of wanted a way to give mass orders I think.

Quick combat is activated by checking a box in advanced setup in the same way you would turn on options like "Raging Barbs" and "No ancient ruins". There is a "quick combat" box.

Oh, the reason I don't seem "Quick Combat" in the options is because I play hotseat exclusively; the programmers decided that multiplayers don't need an option for Quick Combat apparently.

Oh, the reason I don't seem "Quick Combat" in the options is because I play hotseat exclusively; the programmers decided that multiplayers don't need an option for Quick Combat apparently.
In multiplayer/hotseat quick combat is turned on by default :)
Edit:
Just did a bit of hotseat, and it appears I'm mistaken and quick combat is not turned on. Neither is there an option to turn it on as far as I can see. How odd.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to be able to upgrade all units at the same time such as you could do in Civ 3 by pressing Shift-U? An a large world with many troops, it's getting very tiresome to have to go through and upgrade every one of my troops individually. I've been trying to look through the forums for an answer to my question, but no luck.

Hey everyone, I asked this about 3 weeks ago and never got an answer. Can anyone help me out with this?

-Is there an option to extend deals before they expire? Gandhi was being slaughtered by Harald and I brought all my troops into Gandhi's land to protect him, but then three turns later our open borders arrangement expired and all my troops were kicked out of his land. Seems like there should be a way to let you extend it midway through.

If there is a one-step method of upgrading all of one kind of unit at once, I am not aware of it.

I just go to the top left hand unit list and one-by-one click on the individual units I want to upgrade. As I do that, the unit information appears in lower left box. Then, I just click on the upgrade symbol.

The units are usually sorted. If you work with a lot of them, they may get out of order. Rather than search through the whole list, just close the upper window (or switch it to research or another window) and reopen the units list and it is sorted again.

This method can be especially useful when you don't have enough gold to upgrade all of the units but want to be certain those closest to the action or to danger get the upgrade. Clicking on the circle on the lower left unit display will focus the map on the unit.

-Is there an option to extend deals before they expire? Gandhi was being slaughtered by Harald and I brought all my troops into Gandhi's land to protect him, but then three turns later our open borders arrangement expired and all my troops were kicked out of his land. Seems like there should be a way to let you extend it midway through.

Yes, it seems like there should be a way, for exactly the situation you describe. However, there is not. What's more, once or twice my former ally has even been unwilling to re-open our borders, because now I have too large of a military threatening him, so he likes me less! Ingrate....

In multiplayer/hotseat quick combat is turned on by default :)
Edit:
Just did a bit of hotseat, and it appears I'm mistaken and quick combat is not turned on. Neither is there an option to turn it on as far as I can see. How odd.

Here is how to enable "quick combat" for single player games already in progress. I suspect it will also work for hotseat, but I'll let you experiment with that.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10287901&postcount=15

It is really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

Top Bottom