1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Ex.plode

Ex.plode Warlord

I'm having a hard time early into my game, making cities/workers and starting building my empire is pretty tough for me, I seem to be pretty slow compared to the AI.

anyone able to share some knowledge about early game management?

2. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

After a few days, I finally figured it out. I was running windows 7, with the "larger" text instead of the normal size. This 25% text window increase, was what was causing Civ5 to always be windowed.

It is full screen now. Thanks for helping me figure it out!

Also, 100% unbeknown to me, I started a game in 3D. The screen was incredibly blurry, so I threw on the glasses, and it looked very nice! The leaders are cool looking, so far Askia with the fire infront of him is my favorite.

3. anandus

anandus Errorist

Doesn't 3D give you a headache?
    (Although, to be honest, I'm quite curious what it looks like. Maybe some day in the future I'll have one of those fance 3D screens)

4. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

There's something in the economy screen about "improvement maintenance", is that only the roads? Why doesn't it just say "road maintenance then" ... Is there some maintenance I'm not aware of?

5. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

Railroads; it's also a catch-all in case a mod adds an improvement that costs maintenance.

6. clearbeard

clearbeard King

Roads and railroads both. At a guess, it was further generalized because there's nothing stopping someone from modding in maintenance for other improvements in the XML, but changing that entry in the economy screen would be more difficult.

7. robal1991

robal1991 Warlord

8. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

The longest I have played in 3d so far is 1.5 hours straight before I started to get a bit dizzy. I am very prone to any sort of motion sickness also, so I was quite surprised when I was able to play more than 5 minutes! Someone who is less motion sensetive might not feel any effects for a long time, I think because there really isn't much fast, crazy movements in Civ, compared to playing a first person shooter in 3d.

9. clearbeard

clearbeard King

Barbarians are meant to be more of a nuisance than a real organized threat, so are programmed to act more randomly than an opposing major AI would. They don't heal for the same reason they spawn continually without having to worry about upkeep or production. This is balanced out by the rather low XP limit your forces hit when fighting them.

10. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

Is there a listing anywhere on this site that has save game files to download? I have won a game as the Mongols and Babylonians before, but well before they were given steam achievements. I don't have those two achievements done, and I no longer have the save files for the two old victories. I am going to wipe my hall of fame scores afterwards, so I am just looking to basically download a file to get the quick win...as I have about 7 other leaders to work on instead (and I refuse to drop down levels to get easy wins)!

I don't really care about steam achievements besides the win with each leaders ones. For some reason, I would like to complete each of those.

11. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

I don't think this exists. But I don't know why you insist on not doing the "easy win" thing. I mean, you've already won in more normal difficulty so you've proved it to yourself, you just assume that the achievement would have unlocked if the people making the achievement systems weren't too slow to make it work in time. Basically if I were you I'd set it on Settler on a duel size map and rush that AI and be done with it in 10 minutes. edit: I mean it's no worse than looking for the file online.

12. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

Quote, yeah, I don't know what I was thinking, this will be much easier.

(I meant I don't drop down levels for serious games, making an exception here will help me out tons.) Thanks for helping clear my brain fart!

13. douglasstone

douglasstone Chieftain

Before I buy any DLC, I have a question: If I own a DLC civilization such as Korea, will I be able to play against friends online as that civilization if they themselves do not also own it? Thanks!

Moderator Action: Merged into Quick Questions thread.

14. remko

remko Chieftain

what is the AI bonus/difficulty level

thanx in advance

15. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

Nope.

16. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

What does "Mod Data" do in World Builder and how do you use it?

17. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

The AI always plays at chieftain level.
    On King and higher, they get bonuses that can't be represented by difficulty levels.
    For example, they get more gold in King.
    And on Deity they get an extra settler and military as well as gold.
    Basically, on Chieftain and Settler, the player gets bonuses.
    On Warlord and Prince, everyone is about the same.
    On King and up, the AI gets bonuses while the player gets none.

18. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

lol, no worries, happens to me all the time. I bet my brain is the fartiest around.

19. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

No you cannot.

20. anandus

anandus Errorist

-nevermind, misread-