Quick Questions and Answers

I have a question.
The most recent Civ game that I've played is Civ IV, which prohibited a player from ever moving any units onto or across mountain squares at any time in a civilization's lifetime. I considered this a game-breaker and sold the game.
My question, simply, is whether Civ V has the same or any similar restrictions on movement.
(I might ask the same in the Civ VI forum.)

I'm afraid you will be disappointed. In Civ V, most units cannot move onto mountains, most of the time. One civ (Carthage) can move ground units onto a mountain under certain circumstances.

In Civ VI, units may not move onto mountains as they do in Civ III. As PiR wrote, the military engineer (somewhat similar to a worker, but not available until certain techs as researched) can build tunnels to allow units to pass *through* mountains. Their presence affects other characteristics in cities, but they remain impassable.

Given that people have been traversing mountains for centuries IRL, I always found this element of Civ IV/V/VI to be weird and non-historical.

It seems a bit weird to judge the whole game on that?

I discussed this at length in the Civ IV forum a year or two ago. My experience in playing the game for 3-4 months was that I was frequently prevented from exploring a continent by a single mountain located on a narrow, one-square isthmus. This is patently absurd and unrealistic at the scale of this game, and most certainly a game breaker. (And yes, I know about the trick of temporarily entering the editor, changing the mountain terrain to something else, and then resuming the game. I don't consider that an adequate fix by any means.)

In Civ VI, units may not move onto mountains as they do in Civ III. As PiR wrote, the military engineer (somewhat similar to a worker, but not available until certain techs as researched) can build tunnels to allow units to pass *through* mountains. Their presence affects other characteristics in cities, but they remain impassable.

I looked at the description for mountains and tunnels.
They allow tunnels through mountains, or even entire mountain ranges, but not roads over mountains. Patently absurd.

Given that people have been traversing mountains for centuries IRL, I always found this element of Civ IV/V/VI to be weird and non-historical.

Yup, I agree. For me, this is a game breaker. Too many other good games to play to put up with this.
As I think I pointed out in the Civ IV thread a year or two ago, I strongly suspect they've done this in order to make programming the AI easier.
It's too bad they've continued to do this with Civ V and VI.

Thanks for your answers.

A game breaker that you have to go around mountains instead of thru them? No problem with taking thousands of years to move between cities, but that? To each their own, but that just seems silly.

I discussed this at length in the Civ IV forum a year or two ago. My experience in playing the game for 3-4 months was that I was frequently prevented from exploring a continent by a single mountain located on a narrow, one-square isthmus.
I've never played Civ IV but maybe they have more mountains than Civ 5. Because in Civ 5, out of thousands of games, I'm not sure I can think of any where I was blocked by mountains in this manner. And there have only been a few where I was stopped from exploring because of mountains in combination with an AI territory that I couldn't go through. So in Civ 5 I would say its a non-issue. Plus, it creates interesting spots for city locations to have natural defenses against the AI.

Reactions: PiR
what does <ResearchPercent> do in HANDICAP_AI_DEFAULT in the handicapinfos.xml? What does giving it higher or lower values do?

How do you think Civ 5: BNW compares to Civ 4: BtS?

Civ 4 was my first mainline Civ game, and I originally thought 5 was disappointing upon realease, but the DLC has now made it one of my favorite Civ games, and I don't think I like Civ 4 as much as I thought. I keep coming back to it mainly for nostalgia.

I really like how 5 handles combat, with no more stacks of doom, and replacing squares with hexagons. City-states are also a nice touch.

I think might issue with 4 was that I had been playing 5 for so long that I was getting back into Civ 4 by playing the way I did in Civ 5: building tall and having to readjust myself to combat, though I think Civ 4 has all these nice little touches to it that haven't been present in 5 or 6.

Last edited:
what does <ResearchPercent> do in HANDICAP_AI_DEFAULT in the handicapinfos.xml? What does giving it higher or lower values do?
it changes the researchcost and it is a percentage multiplier. So when you set it to 60, the research will only cost 60%.
And I think it affects all techs for everyone that uses the relevant handicap.
But I don't know who is using the "HANDICAP_AI_DEFAULT"

Last edited:
In the course of dealing with figuring out why this game didn't automatically download the 270+ mods that I'm subscribed to after I migrated to a new computer (turns out I have to wait an ambiguous amount of time at the mod menu until the periodic database check happens), and why after figuring out that problem, it kept crashing in the middle of downloading all those mods and thus repeatedly corrupted the cache's mod database file (turns out a couple of mods by the same creator have some weird conflict between them, so I unsubscribed from the one that I deemed less important for me), I discovered something weird about Civ5.

Every time I ask Steam to do an integrity verification of Civ5's game files, it always says upon finishing that a handful of files have failed verification and will be redownloaded, and when I check the download manager, I find that it is or has just downloaded 9.2 MB for Civ5 (yes, exactly that same size). It doesn't matter if I had just finished a check and the supposed broken files were "fixed", an immediate extra check still tells me that there are some files that failed verification.

Is this normal? Like, just a quirk of Civ5's design that is merely an annoyance that has no actual impact on the game's essential functions?

What happens if a civ runs out of city names? I'm playing as the Celts and trying to settle enough cities by myself (no other Boudicas in the game) to get to the Longest. Name. Ever. I did, and kept settling cities to see what happens; I'm up to about 40 now and they are still getting names from somewhere. (the civopedia only lists 35 cities) Is the game borrowing names from another civ; maybe England and starting from the bottom? Or does the name list have more than 35 entries and the pedia doesn't list them all? Maybe there's an XML file I can look at to deduce the answer.

Edit: I seem to be stealing unused city names from my nemesis, Gandhi (the only other civ in this game)

Last edited:
What happens if a civ runs out of city names? I'm playing as the Celts and trying to settle enough cities by myself (no other Boudicas in the game) to get to the Longest. Name. Ever. I did, and kept settling cities to see what happens; I'm up to about 40 now and they are still getting names from somewhere. (the civopedia only lists 35 cities) Is the game borrowing names from another civ; maybe England and starting from the bottom? Or does the name list have more than 35 entries and the pedia doesn't list them all? Maybe there's an XML file I can look at to deduce the answer.

Edit: I seem to be stealing unused city names from my nemesis, Gandhi (the only other civ in this game)
At about 130 cities, it just stops naming them. I start numbering them at that point.

At about 130 cities, it just stops naming them. I start numbering them at that point.
You don't apply "New", a geographical designation (e.g. "East" because the city is east of the one it shares its name with, or "Upper" if it's located on a hill or between mountains compared to said city), or some other plausible adjective to existing names instead?

You don't apply "New", a geographical designation (e.g. "East" because the city is east of the one it shares its name with, or "Upper" if it's located on a hill or between mountains compared to said city), or some other plausible adjective to existing names instead?
No, but I've tried to think of some sort of pattern. I've run into this limitation when playing for a time (score) victory. Cities are one one of the best ways to get points, so you plant as many as possible. Recently played an epic, large size map. At the end I had 230 cities, several thousand citizens. It was taking 19 seconds each time I clicked (move this citizen to that tile, wait 19 sec, put this building in queue, wait 19 sec). If I as much as moused over a city banner, I got that 19-second penalty. So, when I wanted to do something in a [edit "specific" ] city, it was a pain trying to find it. It would have helped if there were a latitude-longitude method to name them.

Last edited:
Every time I launch the game the game reverts to a default options of 10 turns per autosave, new to civ advisor, and changes graphics settings, nor can I seem to find an .ini file to change. If someone could help it would be most appreciated.

Look into Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\UserSettings.ini ? Do you have write access on this folder?
No, I play it through steam and the Civ 5 folder's in steamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization 5, but the user settings file is nowhere to be seen

No, I play it through steam and the Civ 5 folder's in steamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization 5, but the user settings file is nowhere to be seen
Well that's the issue then. Are you playing on Windows 10? The folder you mentionned is for the game files, but you should also have the one I mentionned. I play through Steam too and I have both.

Well that's the issue then. Are you playing on Windows 10? The folder you mentionned is for the game files, but you should also have the one I mentionned. I play through Steam too and I have both.
yes that's correct I play on windows 10.

I recently started a new game and it immediately went to this. Seems odd. Does this happen to others?

Shortest game of Civ ever!

Can happen when your settler spawns on a tile where it cannot survive (e.g., coastal or ocean tile). In my experience, most likely to happen in a modded game (if the mod is not well behaved) or a game with max civs and CSs on a map that is too small.

Top Bottom