Quick Questions / Quick Answers

What determines city HP on capture? I've seen some cities start with half life and others start with 0.

Quick question, do i get a bigger warmonger penalty if i take a civ's last city so that they get removed from the game? Or does it count just like taking any other city

What determines city HP on capture? I've seen some cities start with half life and others start with 0.
afaik it always has 50 hp when you conquer it. it looks like it starts with less due to buildings in it increasing its max hp (not sure what else, like population, also affects max hp). you can always check what current absolute hp it has by mouse-overing the health bar of the city.

Quick question, do i get a bigger warmonger penalty if i take a civ's last city so that they get removed from the game? Or does it count just like taking any other city
Not really sure on this one, but i believe you do get a bigger warmonger penalty for the last city. might wait for someone that has acutal knowledge instead of just a little experience. proven wrong.

Last edited:

The warmonger penalty depend on the economic power of the captured city. (its size is a good approximation)
There is no additional penalty for capturing the last city.
If you erradicate a civ, capturing the last few cities will do nothing to your warmonger score comparing to the penalty you had when capturing the main cities of the civ.

afaik it always has 50 hp when you conquer it. it looks like it starts with less due to buildings in it increasing its max hp (not sure what else, like population, also affects max hp). you can always check what current absolute hp it has by mouse-overing the health bar of the city.

Not really sure on this one, but i believe you do get a bigger warmonger penalty for the last city. might wait for someone that has acutal knowledge instead of just a little experience. proven wrong.

I mouse over some cities and they are 0/300 when captured.

If you erradicate a civ, capturing the last few cities will do nothing to your warmonger score comparing to the penalty you had when capturing the main cities of the civ.
This might be a dumb question, but can you confirm this?

I distincly recall a game where the USA had only 1 city with 7 population, which i captured because he was buying my tiles. It was the only city I took all game and all other leaders displayed a modifier about being upset by my warmongering

What are the rules for cancelling a DoF ?
(before the end of the timer, and without backstabing, of course)
Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

do units not get warped out of your lands when the owner declares war during open borders? did this get changed?

do units not get warped out of your lands when the owner declares war during open borders? did this get changed?

yeah units in a civ's border from open borders won't get warped out in a declaration of war. A couple of times I set up some horseman to stand and then pillage citidals and even set up an army surrounding a city before declaring war. I don't like it anymore, so I stopped, but it's a thing that can be done maybe once a game. pretty strong way to get in a great walled civ or... get backstabbed =) gotta be pretty careful with open borders

Last edited:

Is this a feature or a bug?

I don't like it anymore, so I stopped, but it's a thing that can be done maybe once a game. pretty strong way to get in a great walled civ or... get backstabbed =)
Why do you not like it anymore?

yeah units in a civ's border from open borders won't get warped out in a declaration of war. A couple of times I set up some horseman to stand and then pillage citidals and even set up an army surrounding a city before declaring war. I don't like it anymore, so I stopped, but it's a thing that can be done maybe once a game. pretty strong way to get in a great walled civ or... get backstabbed =) gotta be pretty careful with open borders

Is this a feature or a bug?

Probably a bug. I don't remember seing this change in the changelog.

This might be a dumb question, but can you confirm this?

I distincly recall a game where the USA had only 1 city with 7 population, which i captured because he was buying my tiles. It was the only city I took all game and all other leaders displayed a modifier about being upset by my warmongering

I removed those penalties.

G

Does the crime reduction capacity of a garrisoned unit depend only on the melee strength or is the ranged strength used if it is higher? I really like putting ranged units in cities, but am I losing the war on crime?

Does the crime reduction capacity of a garrisoned unit depend only on the melee strength or is the ranged strength used if it is higher? I really like putting ranged units in cities, but am I losing the war on crime?

It's only combat strength ("melee strength") as far as I know. So yes, to max out city strength, ranged units are not optimal.

This is a decission to make:
A. Strong melee unit. High city defense -> less crime.
B. Strong ranged unit (with medic or range promotion). May attack from the city while protected by a wall of melee units.

The first case is good for peacetime and when you want the enemy to hit your city walls (useful when in disadvantage). The second one is good when you don't want the enemy to pillage your tiles.

Is tradition Arabia OP? It's just such a nice synergy, just had my easiest immortal victory to date as Arabia

Top Bottom