Quick Questions / Quick Answers

For the same reason missionary/inquisitors are more and more expensive. The efficiency of an envoy does not significantly decrease over time. However, its hammer cost become more and more insignificant.

This is not rubber banding, this is era normalisation.

Alternative solutions would be:
1) Have the hammer cost of every diplomatic unit increase with era. (Currently simulated by the those multiple units less and less cost-effectives)
2) Have the influence from quest drastically increase with era, so that quest can compete with "diplomat spam"

Note that this apply to everything. A mechanised infantry in late game is not much more efficient than a spearmen in early game, and relatively to their era hammer production, they have approximately the same cost. But in absolute cost, the infantry is far more expensive than the spearmen.

It is a BIG change, though, from Envoys to Diplomats. 2 paper AND 3.5 times the hammers! It literally shuts down the assembly line.... There is no Renaissance unit to buffer the change, either. I play on Marathon and when it goes from 5 turns to 17 turns to build one, that hurts.

It is a BIG change, though, from Envoys to Diplomats. 2 paper AND 3.5 times the hammers! It literally shuts down the assembly line.... There is no Renaissance unit to buffer the change, either. I play on Marathon and when it goes from 5 turns to 17 turns to build one, that hurts.

I think your question is a unit balance related inquiry, rather than a quick question with a definite answer. I know that the non-definite answer is that the paper increase is in place to counteract diplomat spam. It's the same reason Chanceries lost their paper. Maybe you could try spurring conversation in the Unit Balance thread?
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/going-for-gold-units.632623/page-16

Why do some cargo ships move 4 tiles a turn while some move only 3?

You may have built or conquered a Great Lighthouse, or you have taken Imperialism opener. This gives all your ships (and this includes your embarked units) +1 movement.

Cargo ships may also be affected by a Progress policy that gives +1 movement to all civil units. Next time you set up trade routes they should all have 4 movement.

You may have built or conquered a Great Lighthouse, or you have taken Imperialism opener. This gives all your ships (and this includes your embarked units) +1 movement.

Cargo ships may also be affected by a Progress policy that gives +1 movement to all civil units. Next time you set up trade routes they should all have 4 movement.

So, you are saying that the cargo ships will not upgrade to 4 movement until the trade route is complete? I do not think this is right. I have one cargo ship that is only moving three tiles a turn, but it just got pillaged. I will see if the replacement fares better.

Would progress or authority suit greece better, assuming I want to go ham when my UU is active and persue a diplomatic wincon later in the game? I’m guessing it depends on how soft my starting neighbors are...?

Would progress or authority suit greece better, assuming I want to go ham when my UU is active and persue a diplomatic wincon later in the game? I’m guessing it depends on how soft my starting neighbors are...?
Greece has large rewards for fighting throughout the game. the unique building really rewards killing units constantly and is even stronger as the game goes on. He has a strong bias for authority, I would only take progress if my start was somewhat isolated making war difficult.

Greece has large rewards for fighting throughout the game. the unique building really rewards killing units constantly and is even stronger as the game goes on. He has a strong bias for authority, I would only take progress if my start was somewhat isolated making war difficult.

So does he lean more towards a domination victory or diplomatic?

Any civs someone would like to see a photojournal of?
Something Progress-oriented would awesome, especially since it's been under a lot of scrutiny for being under powered compared to the more clear Tall Tradition / Wide Authority starts. Any civ with a UI or diplomatic UC strikes me as a good Progress choice. Maybe the Mayans, Polynesia, or Incans? Those would be interesting.

Top Bottom