Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Thanks, I'll make a big report then because it isn't working for me in one game.

You possibly know that, but just to be sure: You still need to send the trade routes from different cities, you can't have Venice - Rome three times (but, unlike others, you can establish Venice-Rome, Buenos Aires - Rome, Geneva-Rome at the same time if you own the first named cities).

You possibly know that, but just to be sure: You still need to send the trade routes from different cities, you can't have Venice - Rome three times (but, unlike others, you can establish Venice-Rome, Buenos Aires - Rome, Geneva-Rome at the same time if you own the first named cities).

I did not know that. No bug then. I had hoped to be able to send all of the trade routes from Venice, but oh well.

Thank you for the follow up and clarification.

Other civs can multi-target Venice from different cities of theirs too.

Using version 3-14.
Why can’t I trade or give a puppet back to original owner? I have two puppets that were originally Ottoman. Both are healthy and unchained yet Suleiman, my vassal, will accept Ankara that has a wonder but says “impossible” to accept Bursa.

edit: Now Suleiman will accept the city. As far as I can tell, The only thing that changed was the population. Is that a criteria for trading a city?

Last edited:
Sovereignty has the ability: Culture cost of acquiring new tiles reduced by 20% (exponentially) in all Cities.

God of the Expanse has: +25% faster border growth

What's the difference here? Like, mathematically, what does each one actually do, and how do they interact? I'm not sure what the "exponentially" is meant to imply.

Exponentially means that the first tile gets -20%, the second one gets -20% to the previous result.
The other way is additive. For example, promotions that give +10% CS. When you get 3 additive promotions, the result is +30%CS. If you had got 3 exponential promotions, that would have been +33% CS

Maybe there's no difference between reduced cost and faster border growth. Reduced cost speaks for itself. Faster border growth must be to add +25% to the culture gained for border growth (it is different from the raw culture generated in the city). Edge culture.
I think both synergizes, but god of the expanse is better for wide, since wide has fewer culture and it is harder to make borders grow.

To expand on what tu_79 said, an exponential decrease means each decrease stacks. So lets say the normal system is 10 culture for the first tile, 20 for the second, 40 for the third, a normal 20% decrease is 8, 16, 32, but the exponential decrease should put it at 8, 12.8, and 20.48 for the third. It is not only decreasing the cost for the next tile, but also setting that decreased cost as the base value, and then decreasing the total again, it is much more significant over time.

Faster border growth just increases the "border growth" culture, and since you are now dealing with less culture needed for growth having more growth makes that even faster.

I installed the Community patch only mod (the one that only improve AI without game changing features) and AI enemies civ army units just running around my cities without attacking when she declared war on me.

Do I need to install the full Vox Populi mod in order to enjoy the full functional AI?

p/s before installing Community patch only mod I did install and reinstall many differents mod, but when running Community patch only mod that is the only mods that I am using, all other mods have been unsubcribed. Do you think redownload will fix this AI problem?

AI fixes are definitely in the CP only mod. That doesn't necessarily mean AI is amazing, just better, there is a reason that the changes in difficulty are just changes in how many bonuses the AI gets, because it can't compare to a real player.

But as always, if you think there are issues, a redownload is always the best first step to debug.

I dont need it to be brilliant, I just need to be functional. If units just running around my cities without attacking or fight back like what it is now, I could use my 10 units to beat 100s of them, just the matter of time. Thanks for your reply Bhawb, I will redownload the game and see how it goes.

I know this is not like Total war series so war is not the main thing, but isnt that each Civ normally have different military units? Which is why make me feel war is important in this game.

A few questions that I probably should grasp atm but unsure of.

DIstress, is this "food + hammers" yields based on pop, ie either a hammer tile or a food tile is good enough or does it need to be some sort of balance between the two?
And do I understand that this is to prevent going too one dimensional with use of population.

I used Orders for the first time, it's good vs distress and the faith output felt a bit broken, with wide warmonger play the faith output was rediculous and I was drowning in faith.
Is Orders this good or is faith considered a bit meh?

Tithe/diligence, these provide gold and hammers but I don't see them reduce poverty/distress at all, is this how it supposed to be?
Sure makes faith buildings better.

DIstress, is this "food + hammers" yields based on pop, ie either a hammer tile or a food tile is good enough or does it need to be some sort of balance between the two?
And do I understand that this is to prevent going too one dimensional with use of population.

If you are having issues with Distress, it is best to try to increase hammers first. That way you don't end up increasing the size of the city and getting more unhappiness. In general a bit of Distress is generally inevitable but you shouldn't need to focus on it very much since those are both very basic things every city should have enough of, otherwise it shouldn't be growing.

I used Orders for the first time, it's good vs distress and the faith output felt a bit broken, with wide warmonger play the faith output was rediculous and I was drowning in faith.
Is Orders this good or is faith considered a bit meh?

Orders are very good if you are going to be killing units and can use the faith, since it is one of the only ways you can get much more faith than just passive faith generation.

Tithe/diligence, these provide gold and hammers but I don't see them reduce poverty/distress at all, is this how it supposed to be?
Sure makes faith buildings better.

They should count towards the yields needed, but they won't reduce the need per pop. And since both give yields based on population, they can't really reduce poverty/distress they just slightly buffer.

Since I'm still learning about how to play tall, I was wondering how people get the population requirements for National Wonders. I sometimes seems to be short when they become available and this might be a poor focus for me. I'm curious how other people are achieving this and maybe explain how the population requirement is tied to the number of cities.

Thank you.

If you are having issues with Distress, it is best to try to increase hammers first. That way you don't end up increasing the size of the city and getting more unhappiness. In general a bit of Distress is generally inevitable but you shouldn't need to focus on it very much since those are both very basic things every city should have enough of, otherwise it shouldn't be growing.

So it's either, as I sort of guessed, I should maybe halt growth in cities sometimes.

Orders are very good if you are going to be killing units and can use the faith, since it is one of the only ways you can get much more faith than just passive faith generation.
After orders I enhanced with cathedrals/holy law and reformed with "Faith of the masses".
Purchasing cathedrals and monastaries (fealthy), amphitheaters and opera houses was not nearly enough to drain my faith pump.
I bought great ppl (artists and prophets) and still had like 20k faith to spare at the end of the game.

They should count towards the yields needed, but they won't reduce the need per pop. And since both give yields based on population, they can't really reduce poverty/distress they just slightly buffer.
[/QUOTE]

Hrm yeah, I will test various faith buildings, they seem like a better choice if I can generate faith enough, but ... new version today so will also have to compare with another new happiness change.

After orders I enhanced with cathedrals/holy law and reformed with "Faith of the masses".
Purchasing cathedrals and monastaries (fealthy), amphitheaters and opera houses was not nearly enough to drain my faith pump.
I bought great ppl (artists and prophets) and still had like 20k faith to spare at the end of the game.

In general if you are picking up Orders you want to compliment it with some type of strategy for using the faith. Whether that is aggressive religious conversion of other civs, faith purchasing military, or something else. With 20k faith you easily could have probably eradicated 2 other civs' faith in the game with a Great Prophet and a huge wave of missionaries; if you convert all their cities at once before they can buy inquisitors you can fully convert a civ, and then just send some occasional missionaries to make sure the holy city pressure doesn't let it revert.

In general if you are picking up Orders you want to compliment it with some type of strategy for using the faith. Whether that is aggressive religious conversion of other civs, faith purchasing military, or something else. With 20k faith you easily could have probably eradicated 2 other civs' faith in the game with a Great Prophet and a huge wave of missionaries; if you convert all their cities at once before they can buy inquisitors you can fully convert a civ, and then just send some occasional missionaries to make sure the holy city pressure doesn't let it revert.

There was not much left to convert and I did convert some of the few AI cities that were left.
Culture buildings was a decent faith sink.
Zelotry is somewhat useful but I think that would be better on large/huge maps (currently playing on standard).
I was just a bit in awe of how much faith order generated.

Since I'm still learning about how to play tall, I was wondering how people get the population requirements for National Wonders. I sometimes seems to be short when they become available and this might be a poor focus for me. I'm curious how other people are achieving this and maybe explain how the population requirement is tied to the number of cities.
You might be rushing techs too much. Don't. Build your food/production/culture stuff first and you'll have the population requirement when the building becomes available.

Top Bottom