Quick Questions / Quick Answers

How about that you can build Train stations even though there isn't railroad connection to Capitol? I experienced that I build one section next to city and 3 other sections leading to Capitol were normal roads only but I was able to start building Train station.

Does the AI factor in past Peace Treaties when deciding whether or not to declare war?
What I mean is this:
If I am merciful towards the AI when negotiating a Peace Treaty and do not demand anything from them even though I could, does this have any impact on whether they will declare war on me in the future?

How about that you can build Train stations even though there isn't railroad connection to Capitol? I experienced that I build one section next to city and 3 other sections leading to Capitol were normal roads only but I was able to start building Train station.

All water tiles works as if they have railroad so if you have a connection to the capital by sea then you can build trainstation without building railroads.

Does the AI factor in past Peace Treaties when deciding whether or not to declare war?
What I mean is this:
If I am merciful towards the AI when negotiating a Peace Treaty and do not demand anything from them even though I could, does this have any impact on whether they will declare war on me in the future?
AFAIK not specifically, but implicitly through a couple of mechanisms:
1) giving them any sort of favorable trade deal, including peace deals, will give you an opinion boost with them, thus making it less likely that they will adopt a WAR approach to you
2) giving them stuff they like, e.g. GPT in exchange for luxes or something, is going to make them less likely to declare war as long as they're getting that, because they know that they would lose it if they declared
3) having to pay less or no GPT to you is going to make them less likely to DOW you in the future to get out of that deal than they would otherwise be
4) I believe Recursive added a mechanic about making the AI more likely to declare if you've taken some of their Cities, but there was some nuance involved there, so I'm not too sure, but I suppose it could be that not accepting their Cities as part of the peace deal will make them less likely to declare in the future

Were they connected to the capital (or a city with a railroad connection to the capital) by lighthouses?

Is it intended that once the religion of a holy city has been wiped out by an inquisitor (of another religion), even if the religion is resuscitated, the city doesn't become back a holy city (and for example cannot build the reformation wonder)?

What I mean is this:

It adds to the "recent trade value" which modifies Opinion positively (by up to +40). This bonus is shared with other favorable trade deals and does lower the AI's war chances, but decays over time (and going to war again sets it to 0).

Otherwise, no.

AFAIK not specifically, but implicitly through a couple of mechanisms:
1) giving them any sort of favorable trade deal, including peace deals, will give you an opinion boost with them, thus making it less likely that they will adopt a WAR approach to you
2) giving them stuff they like, e.g. GPT in exchange for luxes or something, is going to make them less likely to declare war as long as they're getting that, because they know that they would lose it if they declared
3) having to pay less or no GPT to you is going to make them less likely to DOW you in the future to get out of that deal than they would otherwise be
4) I believe Recursive added a mechanic about making the AI more likely to declare if you've taken some of their Cities, but there was some nuance involved there, so I'm not too sure, but I suppose it could be that not accepting their Cities as part of the peace deal will make them less likely to declare in the future

1) accurate, though see my comment on that

2) accurate

3) AI will only get a boost to DoW weight from paying you GPT if they're paying you more money than they're getting from you AND they're bankrupt with no/negative income.

4) cities exchanged in a peace deal do not trigger this (although now that you've pointed it out, I think they should)

I have a couple of simple questions.

1. How defensive combat strength is calculated for ranged units, who defend against ranged attack? I have tried to calculate both CS and RCS with multipliers. Both variants show some unexpected numbers.
2. How often information on wiki page is updated? Is there someone responsible for it?

1. How defensive combat strength is calculated for ranged units, who defend against ranged attack? I have tried to calculate both CS and RCS with multipliers. Both variants show some unexpected numbers.

I confirmed it with people on Githhub, it is supposed to be RCS for ranged defense. That said, there is an issue with combat calculations at the moment that I reported, so they are looking into it.

I confirmed it with people on Githhub, it is supposed to be RCS for ranged defense. That said, there is an issue with combat calculations at the moment that I reported, so they are looking into it.
As far as I know in Civ 5 all units used their CS to defend against ranged atracks. Why it was changed?

As far as I know in Civ 5 all units used their CS to defend against ranged atracks. Why it was changed?
Nope, it has always been this way even in the base game IMO. Otherwise the ranged would die too easily when attacked by other ranged.

Does AI buy mountain tiles? f.e. when Machu Picchu has Mountain requirement does AI rush somehow for it? I used in my mod many Mountain = 1 and NearbyMountainRequired = 1 cases.

1) Are the numbers on extra science costs for techs, extra culture costs on policies and negative modifiers on tourism correct (+7% of the base/+7% of the base/ -7% in all cities)? After doing some calculations I usually find that building extra cities would harm my development in that regard, but the reality is that the more cities I have the better I usually do.

2) Does the AI get yield infusions at some points? I find that I am often leading and suddenly the AIs jump ahead in the number of techs / social policies. What is even weirder that in a couple of games I played recently with Poland in it the AI did not seem to be that ahead of the pack (considering his UA), so I thought if it is possible that there is a catchup mechanic that he did not trigger. Maybe it is just city projects or great people that pushes them at some random points though.

3) Is the manufactured goods demographic good indicator that suggests if you should aim for gold in world congress projects? I have been number 1 couple of times, switched all of my cities to the project and lost it to AIs who somehow doubled their production (1100 production as Germany, mid-Reneisance - build the project, it is done in 1 turn and I am third with Egypt and America getting about 1800 production, later list of most industrious civs comes around and they are both quite behind me).

I play on Immortal + standard speed if it is a factor.

1) Are the numbers on extra science costs for techs, extra culture costs on policies and negative modifiers on tourism correct (+7% of the base/+7% of the base/ -7% in all cities)? After doing some calculations I usually find that building extra cities would harm my development in that regard, but the reality is that the more cities I have the better I usually do.

2) Does the AI get yield infusions at some points? I find that I am often leading and suddenly the AIs jump ahead in the number of techs / social policies. What is even weirder that in a couple of games I played recently with Poland in it the AI did not seem to be that ahead of the pack (considering his UA), so I thought if it is possible that there is a catchup mechanic that he did not trigger. Maybe it is just city projects or great people that pushes them at some random points though.

3) Is the manufactured goods demographic good indicator that suggests if you should aim for gold in world congress projects? I have been number 1 couple of times, switched all of my cities to the project and lost it to AIs who somehow doubled their production (1100 production as Germany, mid-Reneisance - build the project, it is done in 1 turn and I am third with Egypt and America getting about 1800 production, later list of most industrious civs comes around and they are both quite behind me).

I play on Immortal + standard speed if it is a factor.

1) The numbers are correct on STandard Size maps (the numbers are different on different size maps). The trick is that the numbers are additive, not multiplicative. Here an example.

Lets say with 1 city, a tech cost was 1000. With 5 (aka 4 extra) cities it would be:

a) [Additive - Correct method]: 1000 * (1+.07 * 4) = 1000 * 1.28 = 1280 science needed.
b [Multiplicative]: 1000 * 1.07 * 1.07 * 1.07 * 1.07 = 1000 * 1.07^4 = 1310 science needed.

A lot of people incorrectly think its multiplicative (I know I did for a long time), so the science increase is not as big as you might think.

2) The AI does get extra yields based on difficulty, and the yields increase with era. This means that if you are staying competitive with the AI in the mid game, expect to see the AI start to pull ahead in the late game unless you take actions to increase your overall standing.

3) I feel your pain on this one. The demographic is a decent indicator, but as you have seen no guarantee. This can be a combination of things like the AI bonuses or the AI shifting to production focus when building the project.

1) The numbers are correct on STandard Size maps (the numbers are different on different size maps). The trick is that the numbers are additive, not multiplicative. Here an example.

Lets say with 1 city, a tech cost was 1000. With 5 (aka 4 extra) cities it would be:

a) [Additive - Correct method]: 1000 * (1+.07 * 4) = 1000 * 1.28 = 1280 science needed.
b [Multiplicative]: 1000 * 1.07 * 1.07 * 1.07 * 1.07 = 1000 * 1.07^4 = 1310 science needed.

A lot of people incorrectly think its multiplicative (I know I did for a long time), so the science increase is not as big as you might think.

2) The AI does get extra yields based on difficulty, and the yields increase with era. This means that if you are staying competitive with the AI in the mid game, expect to see the AI start to pull ahead in the late game unless you take actions to increase your overall standing.

3) I feel your pain on this one. The demographic is a decent indicator, but as you have seen no guarantee. This can be a combination of things like the AI bonuses or the AI shifting to production focus when building the project.

Thanks! I am still not sure about 1) since I actually knew it is additive (that is what the "% of the base" meant) and it still surprised me how much better large empires are. Especially when it comes to tourism (where they performed a lot better then what I would expect). But then again I have not done any exact calculations.

There are two things that can happen which will throw off the manufactured goods demographic.

1) You have production modifiers. Let's say you have 10% to buildings, and all your cities are producing buildings. It means your manufactured goods are showing that 10% gain, which will be lost when you go to the world congress project.

2) Production overflow. If the turn before the world congress project, the AI (or you) finishes a building with 50 spare production, it passes that production to the next item. On high difficulties, the AI tends to be overflowing a lot of production turn for turn.

Are the dates for Maya's great people the same in VP as in vanilla civ? I have the tech, but didn't get a great person on turn 72, which most guides have listed as a correct date.

What game speed are you using? The turn numbers change with game speed, so perhaps you're looking at the wrong guide?

What game speed are you using? The turn numbers change with game speed, so perhaps you're looking at the wrong guide?
They guides say standard speed, its what I'm playing, and according to the in-game Mayan calendar, it is a new cycle. I got on turn 86 as expected.

Edit: anyone know what file to check for this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom