1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Theral, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

I see. Just finished one game now and had 22 spies at the end.

Interesting game though, with a warmonger dominating the game. At the end Montezuma had a score of 3600 points while I had "only" 1800 score. Yet I won the game via science victory. He had whopping 47 cities, me only 8 cities. That was enough to win comfortably without major challenge. In fact Montezuma and the other two heavy warmongers in the game (Shaka and Askia) made me a good service because they eliminated alone some tough science CIVs and made my life easier by doing so.

2. PortugeseChicken

PortugeseChicken Chieftain

One of my great writers can't make a great work? I've checked the slots and there are plenty of slots left in my empire. What's the deal with that? The button isn't even showing.

3. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Prince

There are limited numbers of Great Works that can be created overall, as far as I know. So possibly the "game" just ran out of Great Writings and Great Writers can only be used for culture boost (which is really good btw).

4. Melchizedek

Melchizedek Prince

I'm totally new to this patch. Is there a central place to read about the balance changes? I mean such information as, what are the new social policy trees, what are the new leader abilities, etc. Thanks!

5. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Emperor

I usually use this site. It's not quite up to date but it generally gives you a good idea of the major changes. If you have any other questions, you can just ask as there are lots of people willing to answer to the best of their knowledge.

vyyt likes this.
  6. cammcken

cammcken Warlord

This mod has done a great job updating the Civelopedia and the tooltips to match changes they make to the game values. Therefore, the information you're looking for can easily be found in-game. What you really want to ask about are changes and additions to the underlying mechanics, which are more hidden. Speaking of which, my question:

The herbalist building says it grants 1 :c5food: per two forests or jungle. Does it grant 0.5 food for one forest, or do I need to keep an even number of forests to take full advantage of the bonus? If the latter, do I need to keep an even number of both forests and jungles, or can I get that 1:c5food: with one forest and one jungle?

(Also, does the city governor recognize this bonus when assigning pops?)

vyyt likes this.
  7. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

Is there a way to pillage the embassy of another Civ ? I am seeking a diplomatic victory and need to build my embassies in the city states but someone has already established an embassy there.

8. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Emperor

Embassies cannot ever be pillaged. Your only method to establishing your own embassy is if you steal that tile with a Citadel and then put yours down (assuming there's still available tiles). Remember that AI can do the same so don't put your embassies on tiles that can be stolen.

tu_79, vyyt, cammcken and 1 other person like this.
  9. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

This is not right. Doesn't make sense at all. I mean I can declare war to both the Civ and the city states, I can pillage their capitals. How come I cannot pillage the embassy during war. A war is act of war, everything gets pillaged even if that takes to declare war to the city states. You know what I am saying. If you want to have assets in some city-state, you better be able to protect that asset.

10. cammcken

cammcken Warlord

You can also simply conquer the city state to deny your rival the vote.

Why would pillaging remove the extra vote achieved by the Great Diplomat's efforts? A ruined building can always be rebuilt.

11. cammcken

cammcken Warlord

In vanilla, the bonus is "owned" by whichever city expands its borders onto first, regardless of which city is working on it. I think there might be an exception when capturing and founding cities, where "ownership" of far away tiles can pop to the closer city. This "ownership" is relevant both for marble's wonder bonus and for resource-restricted buildings, such as stables, circus, or stoneworks. This can get frustrating when you want to pass a tile to a city that needs it more, but that city can't construct the building that would boost the yield.

In Vox Populi, swapping tiles works. I think, although I can't remember, that the remaining resource restrictions are loosened such that any city within three tiles of the resource can construct the restricted building.

vyyt likes this.
  12. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

It is true that GP improvements cannot be permanently removed. Factories, Holy sites, Embassies etc. They can be pillaged though, but not permanently removed. I just play against 43 Civs and they spam all great diplomats and I just don't know how am gonna win without my diplomats getting utterly useless. Something is not right. Nothing to do with my great diplomats. Unlike other GPs they have always their use, but with only 20 city-states in the game the diplomats are useless. Hard to come by and utterly useless. Is not very well designed this aspect of the game.

13. cammcken

cammcken Warlord

What? Why don't you use the G. Diplomat's "conduct mission" ability to flip a city-state's allegiance? In the late game, the allegiance earns you more votes than an embassy. Even in the early game I sometimes wonder whether it's better to build an embassy or to get more influence, but if all embassies are already built then the decision is much easier.

I agree that the embassy improvement is a bit funny, but I don't find it too frustrating.

Also, correct me if i"m wrong, but a great person improvement can be removed with a normal worker, right?

Arthur Jama likes this.
  14. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

Didn't know they can do missions like the emissaries. That's good. Not utterly useless. Can save them for critical votes then.

15. cammcken

cammcken Warlord

They're even better than emissaries; not only do they increase your influence by a large amount, they decrease everyone else's influence by the same amount.

Crag Hack likes this.
  16. Crag Hack

Crag Hack Warlord

Cool. You changed my mind. I still have chance of winning, especially with Greece playing now.

17. Galbias

Galbias Prince

Is there an easy way to see the list of Unhappiness sources from the city view? I know it used to be possible to do this but it doesn't seem like it anymore. Mine looks like https://i.imgur.com/RxOeg3o.jpg

Seems like the only way to see them is from the list of cities, or from hovering over the sad face from outside of the city. I'm using the Enhanced City View mod if that matters.

18. vyyt

vyyt Deity

Either your install is botched or you are using the old version of the Enhanced City View mod.

Galbias and SilentReply like this.
  19. SilentReply

SilentReply Chieftain

Compatibility issue that arose last year. The mod creator hasn't updated the post/links. See fixed version of the mod here - https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/new-beta-version-march-14th-3-14.643756/page-3#post-15405649

Galbias and vyyt like this.
  20. SilentReply

SilentReply Chieftain

When was nationalization nerfed to one franchise per office? I don't remember seeing this in change notes.