1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Theral, Aug 23, 2016.

1. CyberPhy

CyberPhy Chieftain

Ok thanks I did not know that

2. Zuizgond

Zuizgond King

The water tile is coast and reloading doesn't fix it.

That is my guess too. Maybe if a city is adjacent to an ice tile, work boats cannot be built.

3. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

Can you hurry a wonder with gold AND use a Great Engineer? Glitchy stuff seems to happen if I try this.

First of all I've noticed if you try to do it on separate turns (use Great Engineer first then try to use gold next turn) it doesn't let you. But if you try on the same turn, it will in fact let you... BUT from my particular experience, two turns later I lost the production from the gold purchase. I would imagine it would be intended for you to not use both at the same time. At this point I just backed up two turns and will only use the great engineer. I'm pretty sure I'll still build it first anyways lol

4. DeAnno

DeAnno Prince

The effective way to use gold and a GE is to wait for the wonder to be full enough of production that GE+(already production)=75% of the total plus 10 hammers or so. Then you invest the wonder, then you hit the GE, and the wonder should finish immediately with no risk involved.

As an example lets say I have a 300h GE and a 1000h wonder. I wait until I have 461h of the wonder already built, then I invest and reduce the cost to 750h. Then I use the GE reaching 761h, exceeding the cost +10h, which triggers the wonder to finish immediately.

vyyt and Bryan317 like this.
  5. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

The reason for this is you can't invest in a building if you have already completed 50% of its production, and you can't do it to a wonder if you have completed (I believe) 75% of its production. This is actually a bit of a safety measure, it prevents you from going over what you need to produce the building and lose out on hammers in teh long run.

So you definately want to invest before using the GE.

vyyt, CrazyG and Bryan317 like this.
  6. psparky

psparky Prince

Others have explained the mechanic, but I'm guessing what happened here was a Golden Age ended. The production wasn't lost, but the time required to complete went up, so it appeared that it had. Another possibility would be the end of a production trade route to the city.

vyyt, CrazyG and Bryan317 like this.
  7. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

EDIT: Thank you all for your responses. A spy sabotaged my wonder. I had the eureka moment when I was at work and sure enough that was the cause.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    vyyt likes this.
  8. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

I just wanted to say that you have taught me that this is THE way to build wonders. Why? Because of the spy sabotaging me. If this is going to happen, you're better off having a low amount of production for them to sabatoge. It's ultimately better to save your Great Engineer (and gold) to finish the project within the same turn as you've mentioned here. Cheers!

vyyt and CrazyG like this.
  9. rantnrave

rantnrave Chieftain

Can I combine modpacks based on a Community Balance from several months ago (i.e. Dec/Jan) with the most up-to-date Community Patch dll, or would I run into compatibility issues? I've read that the Community Patch is supposed to be "independent" of any other mods, I'm just wondering if my understanding of how this works is correct. Thanks!

10. PapaRockett

PapaRockett Prince

Far fewer world wonders being built by AI in latest version, a bug or did something change?

11. psparky

psparky Prince

Do Iroquois cannon benefit from rough terrain on defense?

Iroquois - Land Military Units start with the Woodsman promotion includes 10% when defending in rough terrain.
    Cannon - has No Defensive Terrain Bonuses promotion

12. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

I'm surprised nobody answered with certainty but I'm going to say yes. They are two separate promotions, even if it sounds like they contradict each other. You'll just get the 10% for woodsman not the extra 25% that typically comes with forest

psparky likes this.
  13. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

Can someone help me understand internal trade routes and why base amounts are different for each destination city?

I don't want to get too over my head here with a complete breakdown of how trade routes work. When it comes to external trade routes, I just assume there is mathematical magic happening and I trust the devs. However internal trade routes should be simple. But heck, I don't even understand why the number of turns can be different. More importantly, if you should be producing a certain amount of food / production why do the cities receive different amounts when you're choosing to start one from the list?

14. DeAnno

DeAnno Prince

I think there is a scalar where the source city being bigger than the destination city makes the ITR stronger. The more bigger it is the more stronger it becomes. As for how long trade routes take to resolve that's basically black magic I'm less sure, maybe what's happening is it has a minimum time and then tries to fit an integer multiple of caravan trips into it, and excess is added onto the time?

Bryan317 likes this.
  15. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I think it produces more if the starting city is larger than the target city.

External routes gets more for being farther apart, and also for having different resources.

Bryan317 likes this.
  16. stii

stii King

There are also buildings that provide bonuses as well as the size of the city. It can be pretty hard to work out but luckily most of the time you are right to send routes out from your capital to everywhere if you can.

17. InkAxis

InkAxis Prince

The requirement is 10 tiles of water (so it's not a lake). I think the ice is probably blocking it, I would report on GitHub if you haven't already.

18. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

If you forgive an AI for spying are there any negative consequences? Does this make you appear weak and encourage more spies?

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  19. youngsteve

youngsteve Prince

Question about Puppeted cities & faith buildings. Do they ever get them, as I never see them do this, & in the end annex them to do so. What I mean are buildings for your religion or other civs, & from policies. Seems weird you are not able to buy these with faith like you can annexed cities.

20. Bryan317

Bryan317 Prince

They don't buy anything at this point. Also, what if you wanted to use the faith for something else? The city would randomly pull it from your pool and you may be upset.