Quick Questions / Quick Answers

You clicked Back, so the mods got unloaded.

No, Eventually Back is the only choice. I clicked Next, which loaded the mods and gave me a window with 2 keys and Back was the only choice. Then Back or Next are available again, but Next just loads again the mods that are already loaded and takes me to the same confirmation window, where Back is the only choice. I've tried this many times.

First off - huge thanks to the modding team and community! I feel like I owe someone hundreds of dollars for the hours I’ve sunk playing VP. Nowadays I only get a few gaming hours every other week due to life factors. However time with the phone is easier so Im going to try to be more active here.

Now my question/issue - Playing freedom I took the policy that’s supposed to give +4 food to GP Improvements (civil society maybe?). However it only makes them give up to 4 food which was a huge bummer for my OCC game as Arabia with 20 odd GP improvements to work and most of then already on 4 food or more. Also as a side note on food - the percentage modifier for food doesn’t make sense to me. Some modifiers are in the format where +100% means double the food while for some + 200 % means double. And it is hard to calculate in which order food is created, eaten and modifiers take effect.

I’m not on the latest patch but around 2.7 I think - is this a bug specific to me or a known issue? Does anyony know if it is fixed in latest version?

Once again thanks for all the hard work with this great mod!!

Question:
Is there a way using the config files to upgrade Barbarians? So spearman->pikeman, archer->composite, etc? There's a lot of customization about quantity of units, but not their strength. In the meantime I turned up the healing rate to 75, but flanking pretty much allows one-shots anyway.

Why:
Right now I like that the barbarian threat is real. But since it is just masses of weak units, military civs get MASSIVE amounts of science and culture and other bonuses from raging barbarians (and if you get Bribe upgrade or Orders building etc you are unstoppable). For example, my culture in my current game is +21 per turn, but I average 140 bonus culture per turn from clearing camps. Barbarians should be a threat and a nuisance, not a "Oh good! A Barb camp! I needed a bunch of culture!" I think the dynamic should be more that military civs can expand and explore first, but other civs should be able to catch up with fewer cities and more defensive play.

And not to mention the tedium of dealing with all the barbarians each turn. So I would prefer FEWER units that are individually much STRONGER so the challenge remains without the culture/science balloons floating around everywhere.

What is the latest functioning multiplayer version? (Is there one, at all?)

If yes, please let me know where I can find it :hatsoff:

Thanks!

Question:
Is there a way using the config files to upgrade Barbarians? So spearman->pikeman, archer->composite, etc? There's a lot of customization about quantity of units, but not their strength. In the meantime I turned up the healing rate to 75, but flanking pretty much allows one-shots anyway.

Why:
Right now I like that the barbarian threat is real. But since it is just masses of weak units, military civs get MASSIVE amounts of science and culture and other bonuses from raging barbarians (and if you get Bribe upgrade or Orders building etc you are unstoppable). For example, my culture in my current game is +21 per turn, but I average 140 bonus culture per turn from clearing camps. Barbarians should be a threat and a nuisance, not a "Oh good! A Barb camp! I needed a bunch of culture!" I think the dynamic should be more that military civs can expand and explore first, but other civs should be able to catch up with fewer cities and more defensive play.

And not to mention the tedium of dealing with all the barbarians each turn. So I would prefer FEWER units that are individually much STRONGER so the challenge remains without the culture/science balloons floating around everywhere.

Perhaps it would be better to increase the camp bonus to +300% defense or higher, so that more units are required to clear. In particular, there are more ranged units, since it is doubtful that the AI will dare to melee attack against such a large bonus.

Tradition and Progress will simply be able to hold back the roaming bands of barbarians, exterminating them on their territory and not moving far from the cities..

The authorities will have to allocate larger detachments to travel to the camps.

Perhaps it would be better to increase the camp bonus to +300% defense or higher, so that more units are required to clear. In particular, there are more ranged units, since it is doubtful that the AI will dare to melee attack against such a large bonus.

Tradition and Progress will simply be able to hold back the roaming bands of barbarians, exterminating them on their territory and not moving far from the cities..

The authorities will have to allocate larger detachments to travel to the camps.
Really don't second this! Barb hunting is fun and it would favor militaristic leaders way too much - not to mention the AI on higher levels.

\Skodkim

Can Barbarians still take cities? In my current game I’ve seen both a City-State and major Civ city get overwhelmed by barbs down to 0 HP, but the Barbs never actually capture them.

Now my question/issue - Playing freedom I took the policy that’s supposed to give +4 food to GP Improvements (civil society maybe?). However it only makes them give up to 4 food which was a huge bummer for my OCC game as Arabia with 20 odd GP improvements to work and most of then already on 4 food or more. Also as a side note on food - the percentage modifier for food doesn’t make sense to me. Some modifiers are in the format where +100% means double the food while for some + 200 % means double. And it is hard to calculate in which order food is created, eaten and modifiers take effect.
Civil Society gives food to unique Improvements (e.g. Kuna, Brazilwood Camp, Eki), not GP improvements.

Freedom has New Deal to boost GPTIs, but none of them would gain food from this tenet.

Did you install the EUI in the correct folder? Check you Civ 5 installation folder
I accepted the default for both the re-install of Civ V and of VP. I'm repeating that now, reading what VP wants to do more carefully. It says it wants to install in the docs/.../MODS folder, but in the program files tree. I assume that's correct and will continue.

Destination location:
C:\Users\dvdav\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS

Civilization V path
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V

Selected components:
Full Version (EUI)

Those seem to be the right folders.

Civil Society gives food to unique Improvements (e.g. Kuna, Brazilwood Camp, Eki), not GP improvements.

Freedom has New Deal to boost GPTIs, but none of them would gain food from this tenet.
Thanks! I just figured Unique meant GP since Freedom is GP-focused. But I got an hour in yesterday and realised my mistake when I reread. Came here to edit but saw your reply. The question on how food is calculated (i.e when food eaten is removed and if percentage modifiers add up or compound/multiply) stands. I’ll try to upload a screenshot to clarify if the question was too unclear.

Update to upgrading barbarians, in Core Defines, there is a BARBARIAN_TECH_PERCENT. It is default at 60 I think, but I put it to 200 and barbarians just don't upgrade past brutes. 100 seems to be the max

Image of my previous question - if anyone can make the food-math make sense to me it would be much appreciated!

How does 202-106 end up being 700+ with around 350 % in modifiers? Shouldnt it be around half?
A4F63768-5010-47ED-90B4-E446B22F9164.jpeg

202 * (100% + ~350%) - 106 = 761
Seems about right.
If you “eat” the food after multipliers the numbers make more sense - but to me it then adds up like this:

Modifiers +346 is a 4,46 multiplier.

202,6 * 4,46 = 903,6

903,6 - 106 = 797,6

While it is kinda close it does seem too far away for a rounding error..

Food per turn = 202.6 * (1 + 15% + 20%) = 273.51
Base growth = 273.51 - 106 = 167.51
Real growth = 167.51 * (1 + 45% + 95% + 146% + 25%) = 688.4661

Which really is nowhere close to the actual number...

The first thing is separating the food bonuses from the growth ones. Multiply the food bonuses first, then subtract the food consumed, then multiply the growth bonuses. In equation terms it’s:

(Base food x food bonus - consumption) x growth bonus = total food.

Looking at the list, the only bonus that might be food is the 15% (not sure what that’s from), everything else there is growth.

Yeah I did quick math and the only way I got close was if all of those bonuses are food% and not growth% which is definately not true. Something is up. Is the city working the food process?

Top Bottom