Quick Questions , Quick Answers

But you did make the Patriotism promotion for the ST line. If the AI has a promotion available does it need special coding to use it?
It does and it may have coding to get it to, at times, select that promotion. I almost always set something up to make it possible whenever designing a new promotion tag though I'm not sure what I did with this tag in particular.

The strength of weight it's given for selection can be somewhat apparent when you watch what they do with their units.

The current local need for that tag's effect might actually be a factor in whether they would select such a promotion - though units are rarely trained where they are needed. Still, in the case of say a LE unit, for example, that happens to be promoting while in a city that's in danger of cultural revolt, they might be compelled to select a promotion that helps them prevent such revolt. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of ways entertainer units can promote just because they were passively doing their job somewhere and that passive low grade xp income for more unit types is also a project in the works.

However, it would need special coding in the AI to think to use the units for that purpose - aka, make some for this purpose and send them to where they need to be so that they can actively take part in keeping a revolt from happening.

The unit AI plans I have coming together do include them actively having a unitAI type that is meant to address civil unrest issues. Such units would be created for that purpose, specialize their promotions for that purpose, and go where they are most needed to fulfill that purpose.

Another thing the AI Entertainers might be doing is going around to try to fill out the buildings they can create in various towns. If they aren't seriously needed anymore for education control, they may start looking for fulfilling this aspect of what they can do - though it could be a fix that would've caused that because I don't recall it ever seeming to work previously but it's possible someone corrected something about that routine and this is what we see as a result.

Is SVN still the best(only) way to get the latest versio of the mod?
Technically you can get the git version, though it's more involved to set up and will likely have bugs flash in and out of existence (an alpha version, if SVN is the beta). If you're familiar with git at all, the dev setup guide should be sufficient to get you set up, but if not, is probably easiest to stick with SVN unless you want to learn how to use git.

Also: Join the discord if you want to have the really cutting edge content ^.^

Why is it taking my Great Farmer 242 turns to place this Corn bonus on the tile north of Lautoka? :eek: I'm on Snail speed, Monarch difficulty and importing the corn from abroad. Additionally, where in the mod files can I see information about the Great Farmer (what he can plant where etc.)?

def canBuild(self, argsList):
iX, iY, iBuild, iPlayer = argsList​

# Bonus placing builds
CyPlot = GC.getMap().plot(iX, iY)
if CyPlot and CyPlot.getBonusType(-1) < 0 and not CyPlot.isWater():
szType = GC.getBuildInfo(iBuild).getType()
if szType[:12] == "BUILD_BONUS_":
iBonus = GC.getInfoTypeForString(szType[6:])​

if iBonus > -1 and GC.getPlayer(iPlayer).getNumAvailableBonuses(iBonus):
return 1​
return 0​

return -1 # Returning 0 means "No", 1 or greater means "Yes", and negative numbers means "continue this evaluation on the dll side".​

Great farmers are slow when they get introduced but there's a lot of build speedups to come afterward that soon makes them more relevant.

Reactions: W|M
def canBuild(self, argsList):
iX, iY, iBuild, iPlayer = argsList​

# Bonus placing builds
CyPlot = GC.getMap().plot(iX, iY)
if CyPlot and CyPlot.getBonusType(-1) < 0 and not CyPlot.isWater():
szType = GC.getBuildInfo(iBuild).getType()
if szType[:12] == "BUILD_BONUS_":
iBonus = GC.getInfoTypeForString(szType[6:])​

if iBonus > -1 and GC.getPlayer(iPlayer).getNumAvailableBonuses(iBonus):
return 1​
return 0​

return -1 # Returning 0 means "No", 1 or greater means "Yes", and negative numbers means "continue this evaluation on the dll side".​

What folder is that in?

Just asking, but you do know that Snail Game speed is 12,000 turns right?

Well, yes, but I'm researching techs in 10-20 turns and building great wonders not much slower than that, so seeing something take over 200 turns is a bit startling :run:

"Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\NotSoGood\AnimalPlacing\AnimalPlacing_CIV4UnitInfos.xml" contains the data for Great Famers I think; by upping the work rate you should be able to increase the work speed, but yeah snail + intention of great farmers being slow is, oof. At 15 turns a tech though, that's close to 15 techs before placing bonus which seems about right before later boosts, tbh.

Reactions: W|M
Why is it taking my Great Farmer 242 turns to place this Corn bonus on the tile north of Lautoka? :eek: I'm on Snail speed, Monarch difficulty and importing the corn from abroad. Additionally, where in the mod files can I see information about the Great Farmer (what he can plant where etc.)?

Great Farmer placements never took longer for me than 85ish turns, on Eons, even without promos, so someone must have 'recently' made them take longer.

Apparently in the pedia under the resource it tells you (the terrains/features) where you can place it. If not, please report it in the bugs thread.

Great Farmer placements never took longer for me than 85ish turns, on Eons, even without promos, so someone must have 'recently' made them take longer.

Apparently in the pedia under the resource it tells you (the terrains/features) where you can place it. If not, please report it in the bugs thread.
Great Farmer can place all known plants and animals anywhere.
Resource you want to place must be already existing within your borders or be imported.

They always took a long long time when first introduced but there are some 5 or 6 +50% build speed boosts that come up fairly quickly thereafter iirc.

What folder is that in?
That code doesn't handle how long a great farmer build will take, that is handled by the xml where the great farmer is defined.
Great farmer is defined in "...\Assets\Modules\NotSoGood\AnimalPlacing\AnimalPlacing_CIV4UnitInfos.xml"
<iWorkRate>500</iWorkRate> - Higher value means less turns for GF to build stuff..

That code doesn't handle how long a great farmer build will take, that is handled by the xml where the great farmer is defined.
Great farmer is defined in "...\Assets\Modules\NotSoGood\AnimalPlacing\AnimalPlacing_CIV4UnitInfos.xml"
<iWorkRate>500</iWorkRate> - Higher value means less turns for GF to build stuff..
Is it based on 1000?

I want to set victory conditions that the AI won't bug out trying (or not trying) to achieve. Which ones can the AI achieve?
It looks like a Scientific victory is completely out of reach, since it requires space tiles, which I read that the AI is completely unprepared to handle?
Does Mastery lead to less-than-optimal decisions by the AI? (a thread a while back mentioned that it would)
Is the AI able to path correctly towards winning the Space Race (a thread a while back mentioned it would refuse to build the chemical plant necessary to make rocket fuel, for instance).
Does the AI approach the other victory conditions (Time, Conquest, Domination, Cultural, Religious, and Diplomatic) in a decent way? I kind of want to avoid Conquest, Domination, and Religious just for the play style. Does Cultural still depend on just having 3 highly cultured cities? Does the AI optimize score+survivability for the "default" option of Time (and does it react appropriately to surviving until the end of Time)?

Is it based on 1000?
Not sure what you mean.
It's just a relative value, it is relative to the iTime value defined for each build.
Gatherer has an iWorkRate value of 100, while its builds have a typical iTime value of 200-300.
Great farmer has an iWorkRate of 500, while all its builds have an iTime value of 2 000.
iWorkRate is modified by techs, while iTime is modified by terrain and features.

Not sure what you mean.
It's just a relative value, it is relative to the iTime value defined for each build.
Gatherer has an iWorkRate value of 100, while its builds have a typical iTime value of 200-300.
Great farmer has an iWorkRate of 500, while all its builds have an iTime value of 2 000.
iWorkRate is modified by techs, while iTime is modified by terrain and features.
Thanks for the info.

My question about the base value comes from long ago when koshling 1st started to Mod for StrategyOnly and C2C. Many Modifiers back then had base values of 100. But some where changed to base 1000 for more granularity. This is why I asked what I asked.

What are these jumps in the AI's (Arabia) culture graph? Settled a GA I thought but I don't remember seeing GA born flags.
Spoiler :

When selecting cities from the map, many tiles are circled - I've seen blue, green, red, yellow. I can't find in the forums, or clearly figure out do they mean worked/unworked, not fully improved, or some other BUG/interface guidance.
Spoiler :

Thanks!

When selecting cities from the map, many tiles are circled - I've seen blue, green, red, yellow. I can't find in the forums, or clearly figure out do they mean worked/unworked, not fully improved, or some other BUG/interface guidance.
This is a bug option that tells you what tiles are being worked and can be improved, are improved, with bonus, etc.

Spoiler pic :
upload_2020-10-21_14-6-26.png
No clue about the culture graph; could be traits if you're playing with developing leaders, completion of a wonder, few other things.

Last edited:
What are these jumps in the AI's (Arabia) culture graph? Settled a GA I thought but I don't remember seeing GA born flags.
This might also be that a city or several in that Empire have/has achieved a Higher Cultural Level.

Top Bottom