Quick Questions , Quick Answers

Quick question, why do AI focus on pillaging the same tile turn after turn. When I get notifications about improvements being pillaged I know which ones automatically because those are the ones they focus. For some reason this game the AI has something against me having incense, sulphur, marble and potatoes.
Because trying to deny you the resources they have identified as being able to deny you, particularly anything strategic that may mean the difference in unit access, (sulpher!), is something that can indeed weigh in on their targeting choices. This is primarily a huge thing with URANIUM above all, but also goes for horses, iron and other strategy resources and then as a secondary other resources where to take it out will remove access entirely for you.

I had Hippodrome in the construction queue of my capital. I removed it from the queue so that I could put it at the top (I got access to elephants so wanted to start making those units with as many XP as possible). Instead, the building vanished from the list. I can still build it in other cities but not in my capital. I do have access to horses and my capital also has access to horses. I really want to build it because I need it for Circus Maximum and I want that at my capital because I've built my capital up for maximum XP for all units so I don't want to have to build them elsewhere and thus dilute my XP potential. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I had Hippodrome in the construction queue of my capital. I removed it from the queue so that I could put it at the top (I got access to elephants so wanted to start making those units with as many XP as possible). Instead, the building vanished from the list. I can still build it in other cities but not in my capital. I do have access to horses and my capital also has access to horses. I really want to build it because I need it for Circus Maximum and I want that at my capital because I've built my capital up for maximum XP for all units so I don't want to have to build them elsewhere and thus dilute my XP potential. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Are you playing without Unlimited Wonders?

Because trying to deny you the resources they have identified as being able to deny you, particularly anything strategic that may mean the difference in unit access, (sulpher!), is something that can indeed weigh in on their targeting choices. This is primarily a huge thing with URANIUM above all, but also goes for horses, iron and other strategy resources and then as a secondary other resources where to take it out will remove access entirely for you.
But to continually focus on the same plots, I rebuild it and a turn later poof it is gone. I don't even bother to rebuild anymore because I know soon as I do criminals are coming.

Are you playing without Unlimited Wonders?
No, I have Unlimited Wonders on.

But to continually focus on the same plots, I rebuild it and a turn later poof it is gone. I don't even bother to rebuild anymore because I know soon as I do criminals are coming.
Put Wardogs on the tile. Or an Assassin of your own. Or Town Watch. Or even better, all three.

I tried but he just moved on to another tile, it is never ending. If I protect one tile, he just picks another. I would literally have to put dogs on every tile that I have an improvement on. I kill any where from 1 to 5 criminals a turn.
Edit: Another favorite move of AI is to build criminals, save them up and then they descend on my territory like locusts.

Last edited:
I tried but he just moved on to another tile, it is never ending. If I protect one tile, he just picks another. I would literally have to put dogs on every tile that I have an improvement on. I kill any where from 1 to 5 criminals a turn.
Edit: Another favorite move of AI is to build criminals, save them up and then they descend on my territory like locusts.
All sounds like its working properly. The 'best target' calculation often will end up selecting the same targets repeatedly as they continuously are calculated to BE the best targets by the same math that led to that last time. Eventually, we could introduce a little randomness to each considered target, but there really isn't that in the AI coding in this portion - and in part that's to speed it up, not that it wouldn't be hardly noticeable.

Of course, that would make it even more annoying because you'd be less capable of predicting where they'll hit next. For at least the feel of gameplay not being a matter of static conclusions for the AI it would be good to add though.

And yeah, it's nice to hear the strategy to save up a bit then come in a harder to manage wave is working.

Last edited:
All sounds like its working properly. The 'best target' calculation often will end up selecting the same targets repeatedly as they continuously are calculated to BE the best targets by the same math that led to that last time. Eventually, we could introduce a little randomness to each considered target, but there really isn't that in the AI coding in this portion - and in part that's to speed it up, not that it wouldn't be hardly noticeable.

Of course, that would make it even more annoying because you'd be less capable of predicting where they'll hit next. For at least the feel of gameplay not being a matter of static conclusions for the AI it would be good to add though.

And yeah, it's nice to hear the strategy to save up a bit then come in a harder to manage wave is working.
I would not mind randomness, it is more annoying to have the same improvement hit over and over. They literally wait until the improvement grows back and they hit it again.

Chariot Workshop is needed for Hippodrome, and this requirement obsoletes at Engineering - you already have this tech.
This means you waited way too long for this building.
Bur I can build them in my other cities! God damn, I literally just researched Engineering like five turns ago or something. Oh well, maybe I have an auto-save I can use. Thanks for looking into it.

I want to gift a city to one of my vassals, but when I go into the trade screen, no cities show up for trade. I can however "liberate" that city to another one of my vassals. Is there any way I can just gift it to vassal #1? Why aren't other cities showing up for trade too?
I have this question too.

I have this question too.
It seems to be specifically disallowed by code in CvPlayer::canTradeItem:
Code:
case TRADE_CITIES:
{
CvCity* pCityTraded = getCity(item.m_iData);

if (NULL != pCityTraded && pCityTraded->getLiberationPlayer(false) == eWhoTo)
{
  bResult = true;
}
else if (GC.getDefineINT("CAN_TRADE_CITIES") > 0
&& 0 == GC.getGame().getMaxCityElimination()
&& !GET_TEAM(getTeam()).isAVassal()
&& !GET_TEAM(GET_PLAYER(eWhoTo).getTeam()).isVassal(getTeam()))
{
  CvCity* pOurCapitalCity = getCapitalCity();
  if (pOurCapitalCity != NULL && pOurCapitalCity->getID() != item.m_iData)
  {
    bResult = true;
  }
}
break;
}
Is there a reason why trading cities to your vassals should be disallowed?

It seems to be specifically disallowed by code in CvPlayer::canTradeItem:
Code:
case TRADE_CITIES:
{
CvCity* pCityTraded = getCity(item.m_iData);

if (NULL != pCityTraded && pCityTraded->getLiberationPlayer(false) == eWhoTo)
{
  bResult = true;
}
else if (GC.getDefineINT("CAN_TRADE_CITIES") > 0
&& 0 == GC.getGame().getMaxCityElimination()
&& !GET_TEAM(getTeam()).isAVassal()
&& !GET_TEAM(GET_PLAYER(eWhoTo).getTeam()).isVassal(getTeam()))
{
  CvCity* pOurCapitalCity = getCapitalCity();
  if (pOurCapitalCity != NULL && pOurCapitalCity->getID() != item.m_iData)
  {
    bResult = true;
  }
}
break;
}
Is there a reason why trading cities to your vassals should be disallowed?
Hello AIAndy. :)

Not that I know of. Would seem logical that if you can trade cities with AI that the same would apply to vassals. But then this section of the Mod has not been dealt with for sometime.

Whoever wrote that probably only thought that no player would ever give cities to vassals as vassals are defeated enemies (seems like the design vanilla went for with the vassal mechanic), and giving them a city cannot possibly help you to win the game, so it should be disallowed by rule.

I've never liked the vassal system implementation in civ4 or C2C.
Should imo be a more unstable/unpredictable union, where power balance can shift, not a you are now my obedient slave forever kind of union.
The game should present good reasons to trade away cities to vassals, like doing so to increase empire stability and such, revolution mechanic has a place there imo; and city maintenance issues too.

Thanks for your replies re: gifting cities to vassals.
I was playing the Legends of Revolution mod and the situation turned out to be quite nuanced;
Playing as Alexander (Greece) I had one vassal, Wang Kon (Korea).
Earlier in the game I had captured the city of Vilcas from Huayna Capac (Inca).
For years Vilcas was in disorder and so long as this was the case I could offer it as a gift to non-vassal states or liberate it back to Huayana Capac but in the disorder state, it could not be offered to my vassal.
As soon as Vilcas was pacified, I had the option to liberate it to my vassal (Vilcas was only 2 tiles away from their capital) or gift it to interested third parties including the original owner, Huayna Capac.

Thanks for helpin AIAndy.

I'll go comment out
&& !GET_TEAM(GET_PLAYER(eWhoTo).getTeam()).isVassal(getTeam())

Top Bottom