Quo's Combined Tweaks

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

these updates feel like xmas.
thank you for your hard work

I could train military engineers on v7.09 on Trajan (roman).
checking on 7.0.11 really soon..... on my slow paced game

edit. yup, fully functional military engineer in 7.0..11 as well (Harald- norway). make sure you build them from a city with armory. if that's not the case, might it be any other mid interfering?

You are right - armory was the key - so it just user error lol. I never used military engineer and I did not think there is a unit with an encampment building pre-req.
I am sorry for misleading the thread.

You are right - armory was the key - so it just user error lol. I never used military engineer and I did not think there is a unit with an encampment building pre-req.
I am sorry for misleading the thread.

go, spread these railroads like the wind!

offtopic now (sorry). why military engineer consume a charge on roads but not on railroad?

After experiencing the game with Spheres for a bit i was thinking, maybe you could play around with unique units too to really sell their theme you are going for.

For example,

Creating a new Sphere for Nubia, Phoenicia and Egypt and giving a unique unit named African elephant for it.

Giving the Barbarian Horse Archer for Asian Expanse.

Moving Viking longship to Scandinavia sphere and giving Norway something else.

Giving a unique raider galley for sub-sahara. Which would enforce the point for the barbary corsairs theme but trip on design space for the vikings.

On the topic of military engineers, one of the side effects of the Eastern European sphere is that without being able to build support units, you also can not build railroads.

How vital are railroads? I could make this unit an exception for this sphere. I didn't realize Military Engineers were categorized as Support units. I'm not sure why they are, to be honest.

After experiencing the game with Spheres for a bit i was thinking, maybe you could play around with unique units too to really sell their theme you are going for.

For example,

Creating a new Sphere for Nubia, Phoenicia and Egypt and giving a unique unit named African elephant for it.

Giving the Barbarian Horse Archer for Asian Expanse.

Moving Viking longship to Scandinavia sphere and giving Norway something else.

Giving a unique raider galley for sub-sahara. Which would enforce the point for the barbary corsairs theme but trip on design space for the vikings.

Something I seriously tried but didn't pan out was the ability for Egypt to build Spaceports in the Ancient era and then lose the ability at the start of the Classical era.Unforunately when an era ends there's no way to re-lock a district you previously unlocked.

It was based on a sort of inside joke about ancient aliens.

Settle down, Giorgio.

Railroads are a significant speed boost, even compared to modern roads. Plus, you get a decent era score for connecting two cities w/railroad for the first time.

Speaking of Eastern Europe, and the reason I brought this up: Hungary is way, way, WAY overpowered. And not in QCT; in the vanilla game. Their ability to purchase maintenance-free superpowered levied units that are free to upgrade makes conquest absolutely trivial. You may want to consider a nerf, similar to how you nerfed Magnus back in the day. Eliminating the free upgrade would be enough, I think.

Something I seriously tried but didn't pan out was the ability for Egypt to build Spaceports in the Ancient era and then lose the ability at the start of the Classical era.Unforunately when an era ends there's no way to re-lock a district you previously unlocked.

Haha, that would be something for sure.

Fun fact, one of my uni teacher actually believe those theory's and would tell it to anyone who would listen, but good luck making him stop after.

That would have been amusing.:crazyeye:

Settle down, Giorgio.

Railroads are a significant speed boost, even compared to modern roads. Plus, you get a decent era score for connecting two cities w/railroad for the first time.

Speaking of Eastern Europe, and the reason I brought this up: Hungary is way, way, WAY overpowered. And not in QCT; in the vanilla game. Their ability to purchase maintenance-free superpowered levied units that are free to upgrade makes conquest absolutely trivial. You may want to consider a nerf, similar to how you nerfed Magnus back in the day. Eliminating the free upgrade would be enough, I think.

I've been hearing they are overpowered but never really understood the specifics. I have nerfed a few civs in this mod (Korean science focus, Sumerian War Carts, Aztec district rushes.) Let me see what moves Firaxis makes and then I'll see if any changes are needed. I haven't made changes to any of the new civs yet in anticipation that Firaxis might change them.

isau updated Quo's Combined Tweaks with a new update entry:

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.13 ALPHA

This is a balance and bug fix patch.

Changes to Biomes
  • New World: All units now disregard rivers and zone of control in their movement costs
  • Eastern Europe: Support units that have charges (e.g. Military Engineers) are no longer forbidden to this sphere
  • Arabesque:
    • Disaster-immune status is now conveyed by having a Holy Site within 8 tiles, rather than the city having a Temple
    • Lowered free housing from Water bonus from +3 to +2....

Read the rest of this update entry...

does this mod mess with the 50% settler production card? i cant seem to find it anywhere. i might just be blind tho :)

I noticed while playing that the pantheon Religious Settlements has in its description increasing border expansion rate by 150%. Is it supposed to be this high? I just wanted to double-check.

Also, I am playing with the mod Real Natural Disasters and it destroyed my bedrock in my capital city with an earthquake. Do these two mods conflict? I wanted to check if this was a cause of concern for my save and if I'll be able to repair the bedrock later on in the game.

does this mod mess with the 50% settler production card? i cant seem to find it anywhere. i might just be blind tho :)

Yes, that card is changed to this by this mod:
  • +2 Culture in cities without Monuments. +100% production towards Monuments.

I removed the Settler production card because the rush to build a bunch of Settlers with a card didn't sit right with me. I personally find the revised card more useful and less binary. You can use it to expand borders in cities that don't have Monuments and/or to rapidly build Monuments. Basically it's a card that provides the function of the building it encourages you to construct while you are still building it.

Have a general question. Sometimes 2 AI ally in a war against me. One of them has units that seem invincible, e.g. I field the same unit vs them but stats always defeat me. Is this due to the game or this mod.

Thanks.

I've been hearing they are overpowered but never really understood the specifics. I have nerfed a few civs in this mod (Korean science focus, Sumerian War Carts, Aztec district rushes.) Let me see what moves Firaxis makes and then I'll see if any changes are needed. I haven't made changes to any of the new civs yet in anticipation that Firaxis might change them.

Waiting on Firaxis seems fair enough.

The specific issue is that Hungary's levied units get bonus combat strength, bonus movement, and--most importantly--are FREE to upgrade. No gold or resource cost at all. Harald declares on you? Levy that city-state on his flank that is full of warriors and the next turn you have a maintenance free army of swordsmen ready to unleash hell.

I wasn't sure how powerful this actually was until the above scenario played out for me, with Trajan joining Harald. I levied a couple of city states, and within about 20 turns I had completely conquered 8 Roman cities, liberated a couple more to the Inca just for grins, and took the Norwegian city that was stealing some of my precious national wonder tiles.

Given that Rome was the only civ in the game that had any sort of bonus culture production, this led me to a cultural victory in turn 212.

EDIT: almost forgot, every time you levy a CS, you gain two envoys with that CS. Nice little bonus to protect your investment.

Last edited:
Have a general question. Sometimes 2 AI ally in a war against me. One of them has units that seem invincible, e.g. I field the same unit vs them but stats always defeat me. Is this due to the game or this mod.

Thanks.

i think the card on its own was kinda ok imho, combined with a Government Plaza upgrate(cant remember the name of building) that give another 50% was too much tho.
anyways thanks for the info :)

edit. somehow i quoted the wrong post. *facepalm*

Last edited:
possible bug here. Apadana is not giving me the 2 initial envoys when i build it. it gives me envoys though when i complete other wonders after Apadana. anyone else to confirm?

On the subject of GS civs that could use a balance pass, pending any decisions by Firaxis--Canada could use a mild buff. While being safe from surprise war is quite good, as that seems to be the preferred way for AI to declare, everything else about them is lackluster. Farms on tundra are still pretty bad. Maybe a +1 food from all tundra and tundra hills?

Thanks.

Can you post some screenshots showing combat calculations?

I noticed while playing that the pantheon Religious Settlements has in its description increasing border expansion rate by 150%. Is it supposed to be this high? I just wanted to double-check.

Also, I am playing with the mod Real Natural Disasters and it destroyed my bedrock in my capital city with an earthquake. Do these two mods conflict? I wanted to check if this was a cause of concern for my save and if I'll be able to repair the bedrock later on in the game.

150% is the correct number in a sense, although it's possible its set too high in light of other changes that happened later. Way back when this mod first launched 2 years ago there was a much complained about issue of the game map never filling up. Border expansion rates in this mod are higher than without the mod for this reason. The old 150% number for this pantheon may no longer be appropriate in light of that.

I'm not familiar with Real Natural Disasters. If it is capable of destroying buildings inside a City Center then yes it definitely could destroy bedrock. You could disable the Bedrock system entirely in MyOptions if you prefer that. I do have some Lua code that attempts to fix bedrock that is broken, but it is not working right now due to changes in Gathering Storm I haven't been able to pinpoint yet.

Top Bottom