Quo's Combined Tweaks

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

Hi players, I'm seeking feedback on whether the Natural Disaster avoidance aspect of the Arabesque sphere is actually working. It's very hard to test without any way at this time to force a natural disaster to occur. Are cities within range of Holy Sites being spared from disaster?

Note the disaster will still harm units and (I think) even lower city population, but it shouldnt pillage tiles.

Haven't had a disaster with Persia yet, but I settled next to Vesuvius, so fingers crossed.

I can confirm that the Apadana doesn't seem to be granting envoys on being built.

Thanks, LK.

Unfortunately, Isau, the disaster mitigation for Arabesque is NOT working. I had several tiles damaged in a flood that were within 8 tiles of a Holy Site.

Hi players, I'm seeking feedback on whether the Natural Disaster avoidance aspect of the Arabesque sphere is actually working.

having a run with Cleopatra here. So far i have mitigate several floods , but i did not have in mind that was 8 tiles form holy site, so i swallow it along the lines of a passive ability in general (insert "did not read" meme here).
taking into account that i focus faith spamming many holy sites along the empire ,it seems ok to me so far. will update with any news

Arabesque is overall just broken right now. The free Water bonus doesn't work the way I envisioned either. The idea was that a city is best placed on a river or lake, but that there was no difference between placing it at an ocean versus any random water-less tile. Working on a fix.

I'll have to take a hard look at how the disaster mitigation thing actually works. This could take some time to resolve.

Ok I think I unraveled the puzzle of why the Arabesque sphere doesn't work quite like expected. To get the protection while within 8 tiles of a Holy Site, the city must have a Governor. I won't be able to change the Governor requirement--it's baked into the Modifier that applies this method. There may be other ways to do the same thing, but this time around I will just be changing the text to better describe what happens.

Sorry, Isau, but my city that suffered flood damage had both a holy site and a governor. I think there might be something else going on.

Sorry, Isau, but my city that suffered flood damage had both a holy site and a governor. I think there might be something else going on.

Hmm you're right.

On the plus side I at least figured out how to launch disaster events from the debug tools, so I can test this better.

on a streak of restarts for a good start with random leader, i run into mr. Saladin and Arabian empire. on 1st turn i was prompted to chose a governor before even settling my city. I made somewhat of a search to see if its normal , but found nothing. so here i am asking. It might have something to do with the natural disaster immunity, and the need of a governor in a city to make it work? well, sorry if i am out of context.

update. Happened with Teddy Roosevelt as well once, but not the 2nd and 3rd restart (Roosevelt all of them). maybe something is broken on my end.

Last edited:
on a streak of restarts for a good start with random leader, i run into mr. Saladin and Arabian empire. on 1st turn i was prompted to chose a governor before even settling my city. I made somewhat of a search to see if its normal , but found nothing. so here i am asking. It might have something to do with the natural disaster immunity, and the need of a governor in a city to make it work? well, sorry if i am out of context.

update. Happened with Teddy Roosevelt as well once, but not the 2nd and 3rd restart (Roosevelt all of them). maybe something is broken on my end.

It should happen with Seondeok of Korea. Korea was rebalanced for this mod because her Science focus was so intense she was leaving other civs in the dust.

If it was happening with another civ it could be a bug unless you are doing something to unlock a civic that grants Governor points.

upload_2019-3-9_11-7-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-9_11-7-18.png
    upload_2019-3-9_11-7-18.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 194
No civics were unlocked at all, 1st turn and all.. i keep restarting but nothing yet. The 2 times it occurred, i had no floodplains or volcano near by, so the announce msg (these floodplains blah blah etc) did not appear on screen, instead the (now we have the opportunity to select a governor) was there. that's all i can think of it yet. kinda busy at the moment, but i will try again later to see is i can figure this out

I've found a few big bugs with the move to R&S I just wanted to provide a heads up about:

- Russia's bonus on Tundra is currently broken and needs to be restored (this is as easy as commenting out an old line of code that removed it in R&S when this was part of the biome)
- Nubia isn't yet getting the correct districts as an African civ

FYI: the Future era technologies bug. This is apparently affecting all mods that change the default tech costs. Waiting to see if Firaxis makes a move to fix this.

isau updated Quo's Combined Tweaks with a new update entry:

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.14 ALPHA

This edition should be called the "tried it and failed" version based on the sheer number of abilities, tweaks, and changes I tried out that failed to make it into the final version due to some issue or other. In the end though I'm mostly happy with how this turned out.

Changes to Spheres
Again this time the changes are extreme enough that its easiest for me to just show screenshots. Three main spheres are affected. This took me roughly 12 hours of solid coding to test, fail,...

Read the rest of this update entry...

In case you guys are curious here are some relevant data tables as of the 7.0.14 release. Note that these tables are dynamic and will attempt shift to include new units or resources if you are using mods. This is showing what the tables look like with both expansion packs and all DLCs enabled.

Middle Eastern resource reveal eras:
upload_2019-3-9_23-40-33.png

Hellenic unlocks for districts. For districts with multiple Unlockers, triggering any Unlocker with unlock the district.

upload_2019-3-9_23-42-13.png

Western Europe units that receive a free promotion (note some may not be possible to build by these civs but are listed anyway just incase):
upload_2019-3-9_23-43-22.png

Also, in case you guys are curious here's a peak at all the abilities that I tried out that did not make the cut in 7.0.14.

Middle East
  • After nearly a year of trying to make it work, I was finally successful at figuring out how to place Antiquity Sites much earlier in the game. The idea was to be that Middle Eastern civs could see Antiquity Sites from very early, and (because Archaelogists are a long way off) could get some benefit from them. This was tested with Holy Sites having a +3 adjacency bonus. Not greenlighted because: This threw the formula for Antiquity Sites somehow and caused the sites not to provide treasures when excavated.
  • Tried a version where Middle Eastern civs could build Spaceports in the early era and then lose the ability. These districts were to serve as a way to gather espionage and holy points. Not greenlighted because: Once a civ is granted access to a District unlock, it appears to unlock forever and can't be undone. So, you can't have a rule that a player can build districts only during a certain portion of the game.
  • Tried to make it so that Dust Storms regularly appear on the borders of Middle Eastern civilizations. Not greenlighted because: There appears to be no way to protect a civilization from Dust Storms like you can with floods. Modifiers exist that suggest it's possible, but I couldn't get them to work. There's also the Modifier attached to Liang the governor, but this only works when actually attached to a Governor and can't be disbursed using other methods. Also, I could not find a way to trigger a random event in a particular location. The Firetuner tools only let you roll one up randomly in the world and you can't tell the system where to place the storm on the map.
  • Tried a version where settling on top of a Luxury resource spreads the culture, faith, science, or gold to adjacent tiles. Not greenlighted because: AI can't be rerouted to settle appropriately.
Scandinavia/Nordic
  • Tried adding Paradop to numerous units. Not greenlighted because: Although it works, the AI will not use the ability. Considered adding Paradropping Settlers for New World civs but this would give payers a huge advantage and AI won't take advantage. Maybe if we ever get DLL access (come on Firaxis!)
  • Tried limiting the ability for this sphere to build WMDs. Not greenlighted because: Nothing I tried to do, from blocking them entirely, to lowering production rates, to limiting Uranium stockpiles actually worked, usually due to the game not being willing to accept negative numbers for a lot of Modifiers.
  • Tried adding double Support bonuses for this civ, based on the Square promotion for Anti Cav units. Not greenlighted because: This promotion doesn't do what I thought it did. The Support bonus its speaking to means the bonus for standing side by side with another unit, not the bonus from Support units. Doh.

There are a few others you may spot in the code. But those are the highlights. :)

Top Bottom