R.E.D. World War II development thread

Now that I've solved my pathfinding problem (until we'll find the new bugs it must have generated...), I was able to advance faster on the coding this WE.

First I've converted the functions from RED DLL for BNW to the WWII mod, basically that means that the support fire and counter-fire mechanisms are now coded in C++ instead of Lua, and I've started to code the plot capture mechanism.

Then I've coded two major features, that will require a lot of testing:
- The Max Hit Points value can now be different for each unit, there is a new column <MaxHP> in the Units table to set that.
- I've also changed the limited stacking based on a limit using two different types of unit to a limited stacking based on a total weight per domain, ie the addition of each unit weight (<StackValue> in the units table) on a plot (cities could use different limit)

For testing I've set the plot limit to 100 (reusing "PLOT_UNIT_LIMIT" in the Defines table) and I've set:
"infantry divisions": weight 60, Max HP 400
"divisions": weight 60, Max HP 200 (medium tank, light tank, "elite" infantry & paratroopers)
"regiments": weight 30, Max HP 75 (artilleries, tank destroyer, assault gun, ...)
"heavy regiments": weight 39, Max HP 45 (heavy tank, heavy tank destroyer, ...)
"special forces": weight 20, Max HP 10

The damage are still limited to 20% of max HP, which means you can deal a max of 2 HP of damage per combat to special forces, or 80 HP/combat to an infantry division.

With those values, you can stack 1 "division" and 1 of any "regiment" or 2 "heavy regiments", or 3 "regiments" (that could include 1 "heavy")

See 999- FinalizeRules.sql in R.E.D. WWII Reloaded for an example of configuration that could be modified by any scenario.

There is nothing really playable yet, but tests are already possible on two maps, here are the projects in GitHub, that can be compiled with modbuddy for testing (except the DLL that require MS VS C++):

https://github.com/Gedemon/RED-WWII-Data <- v.6 beta 1 (if you use a gitHub client, you won't have to download everything with each update)
https://github.com/Gedemon/RED-WWII-Reloaded <- this will replace RED WWII Edition when released, it include the compiled DLL
https://github.com/Gedemon/RED-WWII-Test-Map <- small test map to play on with IGE or Firetuner
https://github.com/Gedemon/RED-WWII-World-Map <- It's not ready for edition with the WB yet (we need to add improvements/resources/cities names in the DB first)
https://github.com/Gedemon/Civ5-DLL/tree/RED_WWII <- the DLL (just in case you want to compile your own, rename it to CvGameCore_RED.dll)

Some bugs/crashes fixing, gitHub updated

DLL:
Fix Damage limit (can't receive more than 20% of our MaxHP and can't inflict more than 100% of our MaxHP in a combat)
Fix territory capture (original owner value was not saved)
Fix Best Defender selection (now based on health percentage remaining)
Crash fix (don't try to call pUnit->GetMaxHitPoints() before initializing pUnit...)

Visual:

Fix Field Gun size

Is there any chance the America/Europe map could be reintegrated into the next upcoming version? Would like to continue my 'mini mod' in the next version!

In next version the scenarios will be independent mods. I won't be able to fully convert the America/Europe scenario to the new format, but I'll try to make at least a base mod with the map you can work on.

Posting here my draft on population, for reference...

rename "personnel" to "enlisted" ?

CvPlayer
Code:
InitialNationPopulation // Player initial population (set in the Civilization table at <InitialNationPopulation>)

InitialRuralPopulation = InitialNationPopulation - pPlayer->getRealPopulation() // must be calculated on first turn, after setting Cities population
CurrentRuralPopulation // Player population outside of cities
CurrentNationPopulation =pPlayer->getOwnCitiesCurrentPopulation() +pPlayer->getCurrentRuralPopulation() //must not include captured cities !
CurrentOccupedPopulation =pPlayer->getCapturedCitiesCurrentPopulation()

KilledCivilians // total civilian killed
KilledPersonnel // total enlisted killed  
killedOfficers // total officers killed

killedDestroyedLandVehicles // total land vehicles (tanks, assault guns, artilleries, ...) destroyed (can't be repaired)
DestroyedAirVehicles // total air vehicles (fighters, bombers, ...) destroyed
DestroyedSeaVehicles // total ship sunk

CvCity
Code:
InitialPopulation // city initial population
CurrentPopulation// that number includeCivilianWounded (don't draft from rural population or reduce city size when there are wounded, todo : reduce productions in city with wounded ratio ?)

Personnel
Officers

WoundedCivilians
WoundedPersonnel
WoundedOfficers
Prisonners

CvUnit
Code:
Personnel
Officers
Vehicles
MaxVehicle // for sea units or other case when 1 vehicle != 1 HP

RequiredOfficersPercent
PersonnelPerHP
OfficersPerHP
MaterielPerHP
FuelConsumption

PersonnelReserve
OfficersReserve
VehiclesReserve
Materiel

WoundedPersonnel
WoundedOfficers
DamagedVehicles
Prisonners

Mechanism : Recruiting

Personnel is taken from city CurrentPopulation

Each turn cities draft population from player CurrentRuralPopulation.
Captured cities does not draft.
Size 1 cities can't recruit personnel

Define:
Code:
MAX_DRAFTED_RURAL_POPULATION_PERCENT
Pseudo code:
Code:
PersonnelRecruted =pCity->getNumRecruit();
pCity->changeCurrentPopulation( - PersonnelRecruted );
pCity->changePersonnel( PersonnelRecruted );

OfficersTrained =pCity->getNumTrainedOfficers();
pCity->changePersonnel( -OfficersTrained);
pCity->changeOfficers(OfficersTrained);

if (pCity->getOwner() ==pCity->getOriginalOwner()) // Do not draft our rural population to captured city
{
 RequiredPopulation = pCity->getInitialPopulation() - pCity->getCurrentPopulation();
 PopulationDrafted = min (pPlayer->getCurrentRuralPopulation() *MAX_DRAFTED_RURAL_POPULATION_PERCENT / 100,RequiredPopulation * (pPlayer->getCurrentRuralPopulation()* 100 /pPlayer->getInitialRuralPopulation()) / 100); // less and less population drafted from rural area
 pPlayer->changeCurrentRuralPopulation (- PopulationDrafted);
 pCity->changeCurrentPopulation ( PopulationDrafted );
}

if (((long)(pow((double)(pCity->getPopulation() - 1), 2.8))) * 1000) > pCity->GetCurrentPopulation())
 pCity->changePopulation(-1, true);

if (((long)(pow((double)(pCity->getPopulation() + 1), 2.8))) * 1000) < pCity->GetCurrentPopulation())
 pCity->changePopulation(1, true);

Mechanism : City Combat

Each attack on a city will wound or kill population (use Anti-Personnel value)

Define:
Code:
CITY_COMBAT_BASE_CASUALTY_PERCENT // (or per mil ?)
CITY_COMBAT_POSSIBLE_EXTRA_CASUALTY_PERCENT

Pseudo code:
Code:
PercentDamage = (CityMaxHealth - Damage) * 100 / CityMaxHealth;

InvolvedPopulation =(pCity->getCurrentPopulation() -pCity->getWounded())*PercentDamage / 100;

// (and calculate InvolvedWoundedCivilians,InvolvedWoundedPersonnel,InvolvedWoundedOfficers, InvolvedPersonnel, InvolvedOfficers)

Casualties =InvolvedPopulation *CITY_COMBAT_BASE_CASUALTY_PERCENT/ 100;
ExtraCasualties =( InvolvedPopulation -Casualties ) * GC.getGame().getJonRandNum(GC.getCITY_COMBAT_POSSIBLE_EXTRA_CASUALTY_PERCENT(), "population Damage") / 100;
Casualties +=ExtraCasualties;

Killed =Casualties* GC.getGame().getJonRandNum(pAttacker->getAntiPersonnelValue(), "population Damage") / 100;
Wounded =Casualties - killed;

pCity->changeCurrentPopulation( -Killed);
pPlayer->changeKilledCivilians(Killed);
pCity->changeWoundedCivilians( Wounded);

Mechanism : Unit Combat

Each attack on a unit will wound or kill personnel / officers (use Anti-Personnel value)
Each attack on a unit will damage or destroy vehicles (use Anti-Tank value)

Define:
Code:
UNIT_COMBAT_BASE_KILLED_PERCENT
UNIT_COMBAT_POSSIBLE_EXTRA_KILLED_PERCENT
UNIT_COMBAT_MAX_KILLED_PERCENT
UNIT_COMBAT_BASE_PRISONNERS_PERCENT
UNIT_COMBAT_POSSIBLE_EXTRA_PRISONNERS_PERCENT
UNIT_COMBAT_POSSIBLE_ATTACK_PRISONNERS_PERCENT
UNIT_COMBAT_POSSIBLE_RETREAT_PRISONNERS_PERCENT
UNIT_COMBAT_BASE_DESTROYED_PERCENT
UNIT_COMBAT_POSSIBLE_EXTRA_DESTROYED_PERCENT
UNIT_COMBAT_MAX_DESTROYED_PERCENT

Pseudo code:
Code:
personnelCasualties = Damage * pUnit->getPersonnelPerHP();
officersCasualties =Damage * pUnit->getOfficersPerHP();

if (pUnit->getRequiredOfficersPercent() > 0)
{
 OfficerPercent = (pUnit->getOfficers()-officersCasualties)* 100 /pUnit->getPersonnel();
 officersCasualties +=personnelCasualties *OfficerPercent/ 100;
}

vehicleCasualties = Damage; // 1 HP = 1 vehicle

// Personnel killed

killpercent = GC.getUNIT_COMBAT_BASE_KILLED_PERCENT();
killpercent += GC.getGame().getJonRandNum(GC.getUNIT_COMBAT_POSSIBLE_EXTRA_KILLED_PERCENT(), "personnel Killed");
killpercent += GC.getGame().getJonRandNum(pOtherUnit->getAntiPersonnelValue(), "personnel Killed by AP");
killpercent = min(killpercent,GC.getUNIT_COMBAT_MAX_KILLED_PERCENT());

personnelKilled = min(personnelCasualties ,personnelCasualties*killpercent/ 100);
personnelCasualties -= personnelKilled;

// those that are not killed are either prisonners or wounded

capturedPercent = GC.getUNIT_COMBAT_BASE_PRISONNERS_PERCENT();
capturedPercent += GC.getGame().getJonRandNum(GC.getUNIT_COMBAT_POSSIBLE_EXTRA_PRISONNERS_PERCENT(), "personnel Captured");

if (bDefend)
 capturedPercent += GC.getGame().getJonRandNum(GC.getUNIT_COMBAT_POSSIBLE_ATTACK_PRISONNERS_PERCENT(), "personnel Captured");

if (bRetreat)
 capturedPercent += GC.getGame().getJonRandNum(GC.getUNIT_COMBAT_POSSIBLE_ATTACK_PRISONNERS_PERCENT(), "personnel Captured");

personnelCaptured= min(personnelCasualties*capturedPercent/ 100,personnelCasualties);
personnelCasualties- = personnelCaptured;

// only wounded left

personnelWounded = personnelCasualties;

Well there were Waffen-SS units from other countries, so maybe recruiting for the SS?

you'll still be able to recruit in captured cities.

Speaking of Foreign units, is it possible to create a function where AI units will be placed under your control after a condition has been met? Example would be Germany taking control of all Italian units in Africa if Tripoli falls.

yes, see the code that give french units to it's colony on Fall of France.

Updated the DLL on gitHub with the converted code for plot capture and switching owner when surrounding portions of ennemy territory that are not linked to (controlled by) one of it's cities or units.

I've also updated the R.E.D. WWII Reloaded files, the mouse over plot now show if an unit or a city is in range to control that plot.

there is also a visual text (like the healing/damage values) over plots changing ownership when the map is updated.

and I've also cleaned the OP.

A guide on creating scenarios? Seems intressting cause I want to make a 1st January 1945 scenario.

Yes, but that can't be done before all the mechanisms to load a scenario in the main mod are defined.

BTW we'll need a complete city listing.

edit: the convoy mechanism will use the TXT_KEY_CITY_[name] to create routes, so that's something that must be done for at least exporting/importing cities on a map.

RED WWII Reloaded <- updated
RED WWII DLL <- updated

DLL:
Add <FirePoints> to Units table, used to limit support and counter-fire
Add various settings to support/counter-fire rules
Stacking weight is now related to units health

UI:
Show "stacking weight" on unit flag and "filling percentage" in mouse over plot
Display correct value on combat preview (compute damage from first level defensive/offensive fire support and counter-fire)

Hey are the above files for RED WW2 and if so how do i go about installing them? Or are the above files just for testing out the new product you are building?

Those are the files for the new version, if you have correctly installed modbuddy you just need to build the project and the mod(s) will be available in Civ5 (except the DLL link that is just for those that want to see/edit/build the C++ code, the DLL itself is included in "Reloaded")

You also need the updated data files and the test map (see OP) and either firetuner of IGE to put stuff on the map.

The more people that are able to use this, the better, I welcome feedback/suggestions at any stage of the development (I'd say it's "pre-alpha" for the new version/framework)

I'm converting the supply lines code from Lua, I've got something working, but I need feedback... In v.44 (and before) the supply line can have an infinite length, but:

- should we have a limited range to get supply ?
- should we scale the available supplies for an unit with the distance to the city providing those supplies ?
- should we link to the closest city or the one with the most supply ? Or weight both ?

Other suggestions on the supply line mechanism ?

I'm converting the supply lines code from Lua, I've got something working, but I need feedback... In v.44 (and before) the supply line can have an infinite length, but:

- should we link to the closest city or the one with the most supply ? Or weight both ?

Other suggestions on the supply line mechanism ?

I dont think so, supply ships where going from US to Arkhangelsk and from US to Philippine. That is quite a distance.

- should we scale the available supplies for an unit with the distance to the city providing those supplies ?

Not sure I understand that, you mean for a nation to have the required supply to build units? If they start with a reserve of supply, that can be the answer.

For supply ships, it should be the closest inland city with an habor. Harbor can be seen as some sort of dépot? For ground supply like Romanian oil for Germany it should be the closest city with accomodation like raffinery for oil?

By the way, did the coal processing plant where producing ready to use oil or it have to be refined after? But since its a game, anything is possible.

I dont think so, supply ships where going from US to Arkhangelsk and from US to Philippine. That is quite a distance.

Not sure I understand that, you mean for a nation to have the required supply to build units? If they start with a reserve of supply, that can be the answer.

For supply ships, it should be the closest inland city with an habor. Harbor can be seen as some sort of dépot? For ground supply like Romanian oil for Germany it should be the closest city with accomodation like raffinery for oil?
I'm not talking of convoy/resource, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I mean the supply line between a land unit and a city to check each turn if the unit can get reinforcement and "heal".

Top Bottom