Random Rants 0x52: [Obligatory rant about title]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But yeah, just a homemade chicken stock will often be flat, boring, watery disappointment. However, Tim's idea of buying stock I think won't do you any good. The reason supermarket stock tastes so "good" is because that stuff is loaded with sodium, and if you're lucky they'll put some extra MSG, concentrates or other flavor enhancer in for you.

I find the Swanson's low sodium to be pretty good. "low sodium" is of course relative, since the regular should be marked "salt fluid," but I find the flavor to be good without being extremely salted.

if you're making the broth yourself, then how could it contain any sodium though? chicken broth is literally just an old hen plus some water, cooked for 3+ hours or barely over 35 minutes if you have a pressure cooker.

I'm allowed limited salt. No spices or herbs. For a limited time, another four to eight days. After that, bland solids (so I guess still no spices or herbs, although I'm not sure how closely I'll stick to that). The issue I ran into is that the broth recipes I looked at were all high in sodium, even if just using MSG instead of bouillon or salt. An acceptable amount when you're having soup, but with just broth intake it got too much too quickly.

You're right that just chicken broth is, well, chicken and water. I just find chicken-water to be a little stomach-turning. I tried to be creative with noodles and onions. Noodles were a mistake it sounds like. So I'm trying Tim's approach now.

I find the Swanson's low sodium to be pretty good. "low sodium" is of course relative, since the regular should be marked "salt fluid," but I find the flavor to be good without being extremely salted.

It's really a question of availability. In Korea I used to buy god damned lobster stock every day of the week in order to spice up my instant noodles. It was like 2 bucks a pack, the lobster that is. Barely had anything in it besides lobster, water and time.

Maybe it was?
The combination of chicken with a bit of pork is good.
Boiled cabbage+vinegar+a little salt+chicken+mustard+curry+powdered mild red pepper+minced onion= heaven. It also clears out your respiratory tract.

Or the chicken-and-ham sandwiches I made last night. :yumyum:

btw thanks for the thread, aimee.

I go absolutely nuts for a good cabbage soup. So far my favorite is this recipe:

Last night I had some pieces of deep fried corn-fed chicken on marshmallow-squishy supermarket brioche along with pickles and spicy mayo. It was so delicious it made me shout like a mad cowboy at 1:30 AM.

I'm allowed limited salt. No spices or herbs. For a limited time, another four to eight days. After that, bland solids (so I guess still no spices or herbs, although I'm not sure how closely I'll stick to that). The issue I ran into is that the broth recipes I looked at were all high in sodium, even if just using MSG instead of bouillon or salt. An acceptable amount when you're having soup, but with just broth intake it got too much too quickly.

You're right that just chicken broth is, well, chicken and water. I just find chicken-water to be a little stomach-turning. I tried to be creative with noodles and onions. Noodles were a mistake it sounds like. So I'm trying Tim's approach now.

Ah, been there. Last year I had nothing but broth and tea for an entire week. Honestly, the easiest broth would be to just throw some carrots, onions and celery into water and add a little salt when finishing. Nice and sweet and done with less than 5 minutes of work.

There are also amazing soups that can be done without any spices, herbs etc. Like a consommee. But that takes way too much work for most of us. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consommé

So, Takhisis needs to make the next thread.

The thief. Technically, posts 989 and 990 should be mod combined.

You're right, but Takhisis still got #1001, so it's his anyway. :)

Moderator Action: Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom