Random Rants 0x52: [Obligatory rant about title]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on a broth, not soup, diet right now, so it's the broth part that concerns me. :lol: Finding an acceptable broth that is also low in sodium is challenging.

Hmmm. Truth be told I almost always use packaged broth, but I'm not just eating it plain. Once you cook some chicken and stuff in it the original flavor is sort of masked out and irrelevant. That's why I usually don't bother making my own stock. Making your own stock doesn't seem like a good option here since it involves a chicken carcass, and if you are on a broth diet where are you supposed to get that?

You either are buying the broth pre-made or haven't quite learned how to cook it. The solution, as with everything, is to level-grind.

How can I be buying the broth pre-made if I just said I'm cooking the broth myself?

I've never liked chicken noodle soup, bought, made by another, or cooked myself. Hence the rant that I wish I liked its broth.

But sure. I'm obviously just garbo in the kitchen.

Hmmm. Truth be told I almost always use packaged broth, but I'm not just eating it plain. Once you cook some chicken and stuff in it the original flavor is sort of masked out and irrelevant. That's why I usually don't bother making my own stock. Making your own stock doesn't seem like a good option here since it involves a chicken carcass, and if you are on a broth diet where are you supposed to get that?

A lot of food waste.

Well, actually, I froze the ingredients involved after cooking. The broth diet is only for a week or two and then I go back to bland-ish solids. There is some onion, the chicken of course, the noodles. I figure I can salvage it when the day comes with some beef and carrots.

How can I be buying the broth pre-made if I just said I'm cooking the broth myself?

I've never liked chicken noodle soup, bought, made by another, or cooked myself. Hence the rant that I wish I liked its broth.

But sure. I'm obviously just garbo in the kitchen.
Nah, I'm not generally disparaging your cooking skills. Broth is easy to make. Boil something, don't let it dry or burn. But actually making good broth requires some grinding. And I found that out the hard way. :cringe:

Well, actually, I froze the ingredients involved after cooking. The broth diet is only for a week or two and then I go back to bland-ish solids. There is some onion, the chicken of course, the noodles. I figure I can salvage it when the day comes with some beef and carrots.

That takes us back to what I said in the first place. NO NOODLES. The noodles you have frozen are most likely what ruined your broth.

Based on your circumstances as given I would recommend:

Get some pre-made broth. I use Swanson's low sodium. Since you mention beef and carrots I'd suggest beef broth rather than chicken.

You probably don't need to put any meat in it since it already has the meat flavor, just boil some veggies in it (slow simmer, not madhouse boil that will overheat the base). Onion, carrots, and celery would be my suggestion, but maybe some turnip or broccoli for some stronger tones. Then filter out the veggies to keep for later use.

That takes us back to what I said in the first place. NO NOODLES. The noodles you have frozen are most likely what ruined your broth.

Based on your circumstances as given I would recommend:

Get some pre-made broth. I use Swanson's low sodium. Since you mention beef and carrots I'd suggest beef broth rather than chicken.

You probably don't need to put any meat in it since it already has the meat flavor, just boil some veggies in it (slow simmer, not madhouse boil that will overheat the base). Onion, carrots, and celery would be my suggestion, but maybe some turnip or broccoli for some stronger tones. Then filter out the veggies to keep for later use.

:think:

To the grocery store I go.

Thanks!

Rant: I hate Parkinson's Disease!

:think:

To the grocery store I go.

Thanks!

Good luck my friend...and make a note of the core lesson...never boil your starches in the broth you intend to eat. Make the noodles/rice/barley/whatever in a separate broth (so the starch picks up the flavor) and then discard that broth (since the flavor contributed to it by the starch is bleeeeeech).

Rant: I hate Parkinson's Disease!

In its defense, it immobilized my dad which made him much easier to avoid, so it isn't all bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, Synsensa, now you're confusing me. Are you making the broth yourself or not?

He's making it out of himself.

My cat scratched me again.

I've also completely wasted my day.

Wait, Synsensa, now you're confusing me. Are you making the broth yourself or not?

It sounds like he did, but that batch was ruined by cooking noodles in it. Now he's taking advice from me (what? why would anyone...? oh well) and going after some basic packaged broth.

if you're making the broth yourself, then how could it contain any sodium though? chicken broth is literally just an old hen plus some water, cooked for 3+ hours or barely over 35 minutes if you have a pressure cooker.

however I DO share your feelings, and I resonate Taks call that a good broth is really difficult to make. I also fully agree with Tim that noodles go in last and should be cooked so they're on point. But yeah, just a homemade chicken stock will often be flat, boring, watery disappointment. However, Tim's idea of buying stock I think won't do you any good. The reason supermarket stock tastes so "good" is because that stuff is loaded with sodium, and if you're lucky they'll put some extra MSG, concentrates or other flavor enhancer in for you. If however you can find a 100% chicken broth without any additives you should buy that shiat in bulk and consider yourself lucky. It's a great convenience product and comes in handy for almost any sauce or soup you're making. If not, my solution would be a recipe like this, which is a favorite of mine: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html

Not only do you get really enhanced chicken flavor, but you also have the beautiful star anise, shallots and ginger. If you don't like/can't eat any of the ingredients just leave em out. Or go for a very simple pork & chicken ramen broth. Using this as the base and then adding pork neck / belly / bones / feet / whatever you're into: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2019/04/chicken-chintan-broth-recipe.html

Hope that was somewhat helpful and have fun in the kitchen. Or, better yet, find a good supermarket broth and buy yourself some fresh noodles. It's a treat :)

Maybe it was some very salty chicken.

Maybe it was?
The combination of chicken with a bit of pork is good.
Boiled cabbage+vinegar+a little salt+chicken+mustard+curry+powdered mild red pepper+minced onion= heaven. It also clears out your respiratory tract.

Or the chicken-and-ham sandwiches I made last night. :yumyum:

btw thanks for the thread, aimee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom