Rat 17 - AW for C3C scenarios

I don't play RaR so I can't help.

I forgot about the Yamabushi's no terrain limits. It is really important to occupy the high ground. At attack 2, they won't try an attack.

Also position them so that we can see invisible units. I think there is a chance ninjas might arrive in the next 50 turns or so.

Preturn: Yambushi Armies will be incredibly powerful pillagers. With their high defense, they will not ever be attacked and they can pillage 9 squares a turn. I am suddenly feeling a lot better about our winning chances. Of course it also means defense will be much harder with (essentially) a move 6 unit.

IBT: We win a fight. The red AI already has the Samari Archer with a 6 attack strength back in its homelands.

Jan 1523: We get the tech. Start researching Kyujutsu - This will also give us the Samuri Archer. Research at 100% gets them in 5 turns.

IBT: A Horse attacks and retreats. Two minor landings behind our lines (spots indicated by ThERat)

Apr 1523: Kill the landed units. I lose a GM Bushi attacking a 1 HP Spear.

BTW Heihojutsu is an absolutely TERRIBLE tech for us. Instead of a bombard strength of 4 at 20 shields we get a bombard strength of 5 (no other benefit) at 50!!! shields. I've got to say that is the worst upgrade I have ever seen. Unfortunately the tech is required for Samari Warriors and a Defense 7 Spear type unit.

The solution to my mind is to spam out Catapults and try to avoid the tech for now at least. As such I switch some builds to Catapults and will build more when the Yambushi finish. Note that the defense 7 spear is cheaper than the Yambushi so worth pursuing - but not if we can't bombard incoming units. For the rest of my turn I will go after other techs and then we can see our Cat count and decide if it is time to pursue it (my guess is that at that point we will want to in the next players turn).

IBT: Lose a Bushi vs Bushi fight on a hill. Some more landings.

Jul 1523: Yambushi army is now out and pillaging. It encounters and kills a Samari Archer. Kill other units but movement is constrained. We do need more units on the front. More Cats would be nice too. We have too few.

I did not kill the landings. Instead I brought our Cats up. A spear on a hill is too costly and only guards a single Bushi which we can handle an attack from.

IBT: Bushi from landing attacks our Bushi in a town on a Hill. Unforunately, the enemy wins. Still better odds than attacking the spear.
Another Bushi lands on the same stack.

Oct 1523: Bombard and kill the Spear. Lose a horse attacking the Bushi. Another Bushi attacks the 2 HP Bushi on top and loses. Argh! We now have 2 very injured attackers but have lost 3 units due to bad RNG. We may need more Cats here.

Our troops really are thin. I will be glad when we get the attack 6 units in 2 turns.

I settle a town on the North side of our front advancing our lines a little bit.

Jan 1524: Yama's are coming on line. They will be a big boon.
Capture Otsu. I will probably replace. Light blue has culture only slightly greater than ours, so we could keep if we could get it starved down. It controls a new lux which leads to riots so I usually replace such cities even if were ahead in culture.

IBT: Very bad IBT. Our town is attacked by Horsemen and we lose our Spearman, an Elite Bushi, and We lose our Horse Army.
Just as a general comment, I would have not made the Horseman army. Defense 1 armies are too easily killed. 1 more point of defense is much better than the extra movement point vs a Bushi Army. I just find it too difficult to keep them alive.

Apr 1524: Got the tech for the attack 6 archers. Now going for the tech for Harbors. It will take 4 turns so I will end there and we can discuss tech.

IBT: We survive some attacks by Horsemen (moved in 2 Spears).

Jul 1524: RNG just hasn't been with me today. An Elite full health Bushi loses to a 1 HP Stone XBow. Thats Attack 3 vs Def 1 - odds about 1/1000 of a loss.
Yama army finds some Iron and pillages it. Replaced Otsa with a town of our own.

IBT: A Yama becomes GM on Defense. Will lose some Cats for a round (can take them back). Build first Samari Archer.

Oct 1524: Samari Archer attacks a boat

IBT: Yama's move behind the lines.

Jan 1525: Needed to concentrate on the Yama's. Did kill a few other exposed units.
Found and Pillaged another Iron with the Yama Army.
Upgraded our king unit to a 5 attack 5 defense.

Yama's are really nasty. If one gets behind the lines far enough to be out of Catapult range, then it can be very hard to dislodge. We could have had a speed 6 unit amongst unguarded cities.

IBT: Another Yama ugh! One killed and one within striking range.

Apr 1525: Anti-Yama wall built.

To discuss:

What do you want to do about tech? There are two techs that lead to Samari Warriors that we can research first. We can research them first - that would mean we lose the abilty to build Catapults at 16+ turns rather than the 50 shield monstrosity. This puts off having a defense 7 unit about 6+ more than that - so 22+ turns. Samari warriors come in at the same time. The defense 5 Yama's seem reasonable to me for defense

Enemy Yama's could be a real problem. Imagine one dropped off on a hill behind our lines. It is Defense 5 and no way will our back units be able to stop it in one turn unless we move a large number off the front line. It can move 6 so any town without a guard is easy pickings for it. I propose we start building spears for every single city that we own and that we keep that unit in them at all times. I didn't set up for this, but it makes sense to build the cheaper defense 3 spears that can probably hold off a Yama from our towns. The next player would have to build a goodly number of Spears. I realized this too late to do anything about this on my turn.

We have 3 armies pillaging. After the loss of the Horse Army we have only 2 behind. We really need another leader or we could choose to bring the Bushi armies back. I had no leader luck with a lot of elite attacks. My thought is to bring the Bushi Armies back(this will take a while) since the Yama army by itself pillages over twice what both the Bushi armies can do together. Our next leader goes for a Samari Archer army, but after that we try to slip in another Yama Army for more pillaging. Japan is very large so we probably need 2 Yama's to stop Ninja's and Samari Warriors (jade and iron) from the civs. There is a lot of land to cover.

Notes:

There are attack 6 units out there. From past experience a yellow lined defense 2 army can be killed by attack 6 units in flat terrain. We really need to keep armies healthy (green) or keep them in Hills or mountainous terrain.

The mass of units in the middle of our civ is where the landings were occuring. So far nothing worse than spears and bushi.

Added a comment about a city in possible danger. I think it is ok only because the Yama will be blocked by other civs.

I didn't like my play tonight. Made some little mistakes that cost us. Too much going on with units I am unfamiliar with I think.

Really not sure we can win this or not. Will the AI overrun us? So far we are ok, but the number of units that could come at us is scary. Once we get the bad tech increasing our bombard power will be prohibitively expensive too. The Yamas are both pillaging gods and a real thorn in our sides.

It appears zip files cannot be over 300kb, but sav files can (for attachments). This means I may have to stop zipping save files if I want to use attachments.

I will end with a picture.

It's hard to say which techs first, but maybe you are right, go for the 2 techs we need anyway and avoid the more expensive cats for now

The game is surely tough, I hope pillaging wil get the AI back to stone age

Roster
ThERat
Greebley
pindicator - up
Empiremaker
Sir Bugsy

The Yamabushi are scary. I like Greebs yama-wall idea.

The good news is that I don't think there is any one left to meet.

There are two civs I could have bought contact with if we were playing a normal game. So two more to meet. [Edit: Er... one more to meet of course]

We need another Yama army pillaging to have a real effect. Maybe we should use our next leader for that - though an attack 6 army is also high on our list of wanted items. We just need to get 2 leaders :)

BTW, if we get two leaders, the need for an Attack 6 on our front line + need for a Yama army is high enough that disbanding a Bushi army out pillaging would be worth it if we don't have the cities (building more cities, even stuffing cities into the cracks would be better though - we do have places we can settle - there was a peninsula that should have a city.

Stopped after 5 turns. Things are looking better. The stacks are coming, but our troops quality is about to increase immensely. We could use more catapults, more settlers, more everything, but I was starting to look towards expansion in the end of the turnset rather than plugging the holes.

One thing I realized towards the end of my turnset: Spears (1.3.1) cost 40 shields. Samurai Archers (6(3).3.1) cost 40 shields. Soon after I realized that, all spear builds were canceled for other more favorable builds.

One more thing that is going to start hurting in the future: War Weariness is at 41%. Geisha houses (200 shields) reduce WW. At some point we will have no choice but to build them.

Inherited Turn --

Move a spear out of Kibitsu per the picture; now the Yamabushi has no possible route to our undefended core. I just hope this doesn't hurt Kibitsu.

MM a bit, but I don't have a good enough grasp of the game to spend an hour figuring out the best MM.

I take a look at the recommended builds, and spears and catapults seem to be the order of the day, with catapults getting a nod due to their imminent extinction. So after a round of cats we'll work on getting at least 1 spear in every city... and pumping out front line military... and expanding via settlers.

I'm build us some armies, too, just for kicks, k? ;)

IBT-

A ridiculous number of units move forward, some ships move towards our core (one obviuosly is transporting units) and the Yama moves onto the Gem tile just outside of Takahashi. Oh yeah, this is cake.

1) July 1525AD
Six full cities will riot... I think WW is starting to hurt. Yeah, it's at 37%, up from 28% last turn. Many of these cities are core cities, so I'm raising luxuries to 10%.

It takes 9 cats, but I redline the Yamabushi... but what do I try to kill it with? Well, I'll try our elite* horse.

Nope.

Decide I better do it with the army; it's the only sure way from losing another unit and promoting him (and making me use up more cats on him). This, though, leaves Sakaiminato undefended; thankfully we have 2 spears in range. One should do.

Kill 2 stone-archers that landed by Hagi, a Bushi by Kibitsu, and a spear outside of Fucho. Oh, and our Yama army killed an xbow that was in its way. [7-1]

IBT-
As if we need more units coming at us, we meet the Otomo

We didn't have a landing, but we got worse:

And yes, I had just moved that Samurai archer in last turn.
And why are the Oda troops running away from us?
[7-2]

2) Oct, 1525AD
2 of our Yamas we had for landings are needed to recapture Nimi. One promoted to GM, too.
Bomb and kill a Yama.

Get a leader out of Kibitsu. Decide that a Samurai Archer army is better than another pillaging Yama army. Why? Sam army will help us push the line forward, gain more cities, thus enabling us to build more armies.

[14-2]

IBT-
For some reason a Horseman attacks our elite Yama in Kibitsu

So I will have to make a Yama army now!
Well, we need 3 more cities before we can build it.
Disease strikes Ube [15-2]

3) Jan, 1526AD
Bombard a Yama and kill him with the army
Settled Mihara to help defend the front.
Kill in the open: Bushi, Spear, Xbow, Horse [20-2]

IBT-
Why are Saito units retreating? To get on ships and come at me; thankfully an army is in range of the city they leave from, so I will know to move some cats north to bomb those boats.

2 Horseman land near Hagi.

4) Apr, 1526AD
I just noticed that Spears (1.3.1) cost the same as Sam Archers (6.3.1). I swap all builds from one to the other... that's right, lots of spears a-comin'!
Tally this turn: 2 horsemen, 1 yama, 1 xbow, 1 ashi [25-2]

IBT-
Learn Kenjutsu

5) Jul, 1526

Tally this turn: yama, 4 xbow, and 2 spears.
Lose a GM* to a stupid attack. :(

Here is the battlefront:

Here is the plan:

The 2 Bushi armies we had pillaging I was bringing back to join in an offensive so we can push out to the narrow front. It narrows again to the south of there, so we can hold a very narrow line while we take care of everything else south of there.

No beakers have been put into the Hiehojutsu research. Feel free to change that one if we want to keep building cheap catapults.

There is a leader sitting in Mine, just salavating for us to build him two more cities. Or we can disband one of the Bushi armies and make a second Yama army right now.

Final Tally: [32-3]

Attachments

• rat17_1526AD.SAV
    386.5 KB · Views: 75
Push the research. There are some great units we can build.

Disband a horse army or a bushi army to build a yama army. A yama army on pillaging duty will change the course of the wars.

I like the plan. Focus on light blue. Be ready with some settlers.

I like your plan too. And yes, push research while we can. WW is a nuisance and I hope by eliminating Civs it might go down.

Roster
ThERat
Greebley - holidays until 30th Nov
pindicator
Empiremaker - up
Sir Bugsy

If I remember from the save we already have Geisha Houses, an if Geisha houses give 50% AND decrease war weariness then they certainly shoot up in importance for core cities.

Just an FYI for the team, I probably won't be able to play again until the 24th, but I doubt it will swing around to me again by then.

0- Switch Okayama to Harbor

IBT- Lose a Galley

1- Kill a yama, promote horse to GM.

See Takeda have Samurai Spears (4/7/1)

Capture and disband 2 enemy workers

IBT- 4 Takeda Caravels come into viewing range

Ichijo unloads troops near Hagi

2- Kill Enemies

3- Found New Hiroshima

IBT- Chokosae unload troops

Lose a Bushi to a Ichijo Samurai Archer Ambhibious attack.

WW goes up a notch, Hiroshima riots

4- Found New Okayama on spices, netting the last (7th) luxury.

Build Army- Will fill with Yamabushi

Get a leader, will rush Geisha House in Masuda

5- Start working on a stack of Sam Archers.

IBT- Road to spices Pillaged

Start on Naginatajutsu (9 turns at -45 gpt)

6- Start filling another Yama army

Start moving about 20 cats towards New Hiroshima

Capture 2 Usegui Workers and see... Samurai Warriors (7/7/1, +1HP) OUCH. I expect to see them on the front in about 5 turns as the closer civs get the tech.

Lux to 20%

IBT Chokosabe Unload troops near Hagi

7- Okayama completes Harbor, and is growing at an extreme rate.

8- Reconnect spices. There is just one road connecting them, so protect that road.

Prepare to move workers to connect New Hiroshima. The workers should be in a protectet zone that Yamabushi can't get through.

9- Pillage Saito Iron

Kill multiple Yamabushi. I HATE Yamabushi

NOTES:

I played 9 turns because at some point we went a turn over, so I'm ending on turn 205.

Enemies have Samurai Warriors.

Workers are in Hikari to improve terrian around New Hiroshima.

Protect the road to the spices.

Watch for Yamabushi.

Continue to watch for landings

The Save

I tried to load the save to have a look at the situation, but get an error. Empire, can you check whether the save is corrupted.

OK, I have it. I'll play later this afternoon. I need to take a nap first. We had a gig this morning and I'm bushed.

I had a look at the save yesterday. I would say we should send out that 2nd yamabushi army for pillaging as well and get those bushi armies back or simply disband them once we can form samurai archer armies. Those armies should be able to take out the light blue Civ first.

Simply take some cats along and raze the capital. samurai archers are also good to take out yamabushi i think.

Pre-flight – Oct 1528 – We have a bit of a salient, but that is workable. We have two settlers. I think we need to work towards Kyoto and perhaps eliminate light blue. Dark Green looks like an easy target… if we can get to them. We’re at 50% WW. Eliminating light blue would help that as well. Although we’re only at 10% lux.

The cities look good. I gain a grand total of 1 gpt for my MM efforts.

IBT – We have two landings and one yamabushi running loose.

Jan 129 – We repel one landing. That Yama is going to be tough. Also the new city has a serious threat. We are able to dislodge one yama from the mountain, but that’s all. Since no one has a clue what I’m talking about, why don’ I give everyone a tactical update.

When I got it, the yamabushi wall was down at the purple line. This didn’t prevent an end around (red arc). I have moved the yama wall up to the green line and hopefully next turn I can consolidate it and close the gap. As you can see the red arc is still open for yamabushi invasion.

I hope to move the wall up to the blue line along with two new ciies to help close the gap.

The red circle is a serious threat to our new city. There are two sam archers in that stack.

Science comes down a notch.

IBT – We lose a Sam archer to the landing party. A second landing is right behind them. On the yama line we lose a sam archer after taking out two crossbows. A second yama runs around the end. We lose a yamabushi at the new city, but it holds.

Apr 1529 – We complete the new yamabushi line running NE from Kibitsu. We also bombard and kill the two invading yamas.

The Date are headed north in great numbers. I hope they have a feud going on elsewhere.

Jul 1529 – The landing is removed. The yama army on a pillaging mission is amazing. Great tracts of land are wiped clean in a single turn.

Oct 1929 - At Katsuga, we use our Sam archer army to kill the two yamas defending and…

That army is red lined. You can also see our yama wall in place.

We’ll cover the wounded army with a yama and get a settler headed in that direction.

The Salient city (New Okayama) is being threatened by two forces (red and orange) Our catapults suck against yamas. We have about a 7% hit rate. We are a long way away from fire cannon and rocket carts. This is going to be rough.

To be continued...

Top Bottom