Rat37 - Very Random AWE

Preturn: Good to go

IBT: Korean chariot lands near Bapedi.

130 BC: Kill Chariot with Archer.

Isandawa is prebuilding a Galley now.

IBT: Carthage builds a Worker.

110 BC:

IBT: Badepi builds a settler, Ngome a Worker, The museum of mooses..er... mausoleum of Mausollos is built by the Hittites.

90 BC: Settler heading toward eventual iron.

IBT: Build an Impi.

70 BC: We may be able to MM a turn off map making.

IBT: Another landing near Badepi by Greek. Build an Impi

50 BC: Kill landed Archer.

IBT: Both Korea and Hittites land 2 units, 3 of which are mere Warriors. Get a Settler

30 BC: Bombard one pair of Warriors. Archer Warrior are not next to anything and can wait a turn.

IBT: Injure Warriors retreat. Acher Warrior advance toward Ulundi. er... I think we built something.
Get Map Making and decide to go for Horseback Riding in 5. Higher mobility offensive units will help. Then we can go for Monarchy after that.

10 BC: Kill all landed units.

IBT: Losing track of builds...

10 AD:

IBT: Galley Built.

30 AD: Send off Impi and Settler.

IBT: Build Settler, Worker, and Impi. Two Horsemen are landed near Mpondo.

50 AD: Build Tugela on our side of the 'boat across'. Land a Settler and Impi on the other side.

Notes:
We got 3 Workers near Tugela. The idea is to ship them across to start a road toward the iron.

We should also send over another Impi and the Cat in Tugela. We could place the next town in the spot above the cows and go around the forest and start of the Jungle. Terrain is awful so we may want even more workers to complete the road faster.

We may want to move units currently near Ulundi closer to Mpondo. Ulundi needs 2 units in order to not have unrest, so I think the AI is now retargeting. Somewhere between would be a good spot for our Archers.

I forgot to mention one of our Archers went Elite - and this is our only one. This is kind of suprising given we are a Mil Civ. It is possible we took too many risks with our Elites or we got unlucky. It is true we fought fewer battles than normal, but we shouldn't have had none.

The Roster
ThERat
Greebley
AndrewN - up
TheOverseer
M60A3TTS

Good to see that we have a foothold on the second Island now. Let's try and get the iron as swift as possible. I also agree with the research path. After HBR, we should aim for monarchy.

Looks like I am up anyway :) Got it

What if Greeks land Hoplites? Do you have iron?

We ping it with our 3-4 cats until we get it to 1 hp and then kill it. Iron is why the foothold on the other landmass is such a priority - it is our only source and we are a long way from connected.

We could use some more cats for this very reason - that Hoplites stacked with other units could be expensive to deal with. Our current Cat total is not big enough to reliably redline a hoplite to expose defense 1 units beneath.

We can build on the Iron, I believe, and probably should, that way they can't pillage it, only the roads that lead there. I'd rather fight potential pillagers on flat land.

Inherited turn...

We have 43 units with a limit of 48; 2 settlers, 9 workers, 2 warriors, 9 archers, 4 cats, 13 Impi's, 3 curragh and a galley as well as a pair of slaves.

We are strong against the Hittites and Korea and weak against Greece. All 3 AI's are still despots so we aren't too far behind, although the science advisor is complaining (as always :lol:) HBR is due in 3 with a positive gpt.

Carthage will be unhappy nest turn so I move an archer in there.
We are building a warrior in Tugela, not sure why and Greebly left me no hits. I think a worker would be more useful so I change it.

Off we go.

IBT:
Greece lands an Ancient Cavalry and an archer between Bapedi and Ulundi.
They also attack our Curragh with a galley, we win losing only 1hp [1-0]

1) 70AD
Cats go 2 for 3 on landing force. First archer loses clean to the AC promoting it :(, second archer goes red without hitting the AC before winning the fight and promoting, third archer kills archer clean [3-1]
Found Umtata, start on harbour. Move forces Greebley recommended across the sea and send the spare Impi exploring, lets see if we get lucky and get a 2nd luxary :)

IBT:
Carthage worker -> worker

2) 90AD
General movement, nothing interesting to report.

IBT:
HBR in, start mysticism, due in 4 @50%, +1gpt
Bapedi Impi -> worker
Ngome worker -> worker

3) 110AD
Not much, although a Hittite galley has appeared.

IBT:
Zimbabwe archer -> settler

4) 130AD
Zzzz...

IBT:
Hittites land 2 warriors near Mpondo
Ulundi Impi -> settler
Koreans start The Temple or Artemis

5) 150AD
eArcher kills warrior [4-1]
vArcher loese to warrior [4-2]
vArcher kills warrior and promotes [5-2]
We have full sight of the Iron island, there are no other resources there, all the hidden land is either jungle or swamp.

IBT:
Mpondo settler -> worker
Hittites start ToA

6) 170AD
Zzzz

IBT:
Korea drops a horse and spear near Utica
We learn Mysticism, start poly due in 7 @-4gpt
Bapedi worker -> archer
Isandhlwana galley -> settler

7) 190AD
vArcher loses to spear [5-3]

IBT:
Korean horse barely loses to fortified Impi [6-3]
wft, Korea lands 2 archers next to Carthage. Oh the joys of a 2 move defensive UU, which allows me to cover.
Korean galley that landed the forces last turn attacks out galley and loses [7-3]

8) 210AD
eArcher kills spear [8-3]
cover Carthage and move forces to kill landing.
Korea is in anarchy :(

IBT:
Korean archers attack, 1 win, 1 loss [9-4]
Zimbabwe settler -> horseman

9) 230AD
eArcher kills archer [10-4]
Found Umfolozi, start walls

IBT:
Greece lands an AC near Bapedi
Utica settler -> cat

10) 250AD
cats go 2 for 3 on AC
eArcher (just) kills AC [11-4]
Korea is now a Republic

That's all folks.

Thoughts
There is a settler on the iron island. My idea was to build where the Impi is fortified and then another city on the hills south of the iron. This will allow 2 or 3 cities on the other coast.

There is a Korean galley near Carthage. I moved the Impi from Carthage to Swazi this turn. If there is a landing in the forest next to Carthage then you can move the Impi back, but if the landing was near Swazi the city couldn't be defended.

Attachments

• Rat37_250 AD.SAV
    128.4 KB · Views: 75
Looks like we are getting fully established on the other island - I see several settlers on the way One comment I had was not to waste time with the Cows - the current workers should go straight for the Iron. We can also have the cities on the new island build workers first to get the improvements we need.

Note that the new island has no water source. Fortunately it is mostly Grassland.

I also see a town of the final Civ - Egypt on some coast we have already passed on the Greek continent

Looks like we are getting fully established on the other island - I see several settlers on the way One comment I had was not to waste time with the Cows - the current workers should go straight for the Iron. We can also have the cities on the new island build workers first to get the improvements we need.

Yep, you are probably right, my bad. The island will probably be OK once we have cleared all the jungle and swamp.

It might be the small map , but corruption is terrible; Carthage only seems to want to produce 1 uncorrupted shield. We are also hurting for happiness.

When I was playing I was thinking about who we are going to attack when we have swords. The Hittites seem to be the best bet, they are closest, accessible with galleys and have (at least) 2 luxuries. We also have a culture problem, unlike the last game our culture is much lower that the AI's so keeping the captured cities will be problematical.

The Roster
ThERat
Greebley
AndrewN
TheOverseer - up
M60A3TTS

Nice to see us occupying the 2nd Island, even though there are no luxes on it.

Got it, will play tomorrow.

Finished playing, we are on our way to Iron, just need it hooked in. There were no landings at all, was very boring. I started the Forbidden Palace, built a few more cities and moved one. A note, our capital needs MM'ed to avoid a riot.

Spoiler :

Pre-Flight: CivAssist 2, Word running. Open the save, look things over.

Civilian units:
Settlers 2
Workers 12
Slaves 2

Military units:
Warrior 2
Archers 7
Impis 14
Catapults 4
Galleys 2
Curraghs 3

Unit Support:
Total units: 47
Allowed: 56
Support cost: 0 gpt

Press enter=>

IBT: Koreans land an Archer and Spear at Carthage.
Greece wants to talk. Go away…

Turn 1, 260 AD: Move an Impi to cover Carthage.
Pick up a Settler for Iron Island.

IBT: Korean Archer dies attacking Impi leaving a Spear wanting to pillage.
Carthage Worker=>Worker.
Ulundi Settler=>Horseman.
Hlobane riots…oops!

Turn 2, 270 AD: Kill our Korean friend(barely).

IBT: No enemy movement.
Lobane Temple=>Forbidden Palace.
Ngome Worker=>Worker.

Turn 3, 280 AD: Prepare to settler-abandon Mpondo, I hate wasting a Settler, but this town is just about useless.

IBT: Polytheism researched, next is Monarchy in 18 turns.
Zimbabwe Horseman=>Impi.
Tugela Worker=>Worker.

Turn 4, 290 AD: Establish Isipezi and Ibabanago on Iron Island.

IBT: Isandhlwana Horseman=>Horseman.

Turn 5, 300 AD: Discover another Greek city, jeez they are big! So is their island/continent, it nearly wraps around the map.

IBT: Korea tries to get our attention, whatever.
Mpondo builds Worker and is abandoned.

Turn 6, 310 AD: Settler founds Mpondo Redux 1 tile south. My internal Civ3 Feng Shui is restored.

IBT: Greek Galley shows up.
Zimbabwe Impi=>Horseman.

Turn 7, 320 AD: Iron Jungle founded on top of the Iron, Harbor started.

IBT: Another Greek Galley shows up, First one heads north without landing troops, might they want to pillage our horses? Hittite Galley goes north along Iron Island.
Intombe Settler=>Catapult.
Monarchy drops to 11 turns, but we are at 9 gold, losing 1gpt.

Turn 8, 330 AD: Redline one Greek galley. Move an Impi onto the Horses.

IBT: Ha! Redlined Greek Galley retreats. Other one goes into the same spot.
Bapedi Horseman=>Horseman.
Umfolozi Walls=>Catapult.

Turn 9, 340 AD: Only ping the other Greek Galley one time with 2 misses.
Get the Hittite Galley once.

IBT: 2nd Greek Galley retreats. Hittite Galley at Iron Island retreats, but another shows up on our west coast. Greek galley sinks our Curragh in the Korean strait.

Turn 10, 350 AD: Nothing to do.

Civilian units:
Settler 1
Workers 16
Slaves 2

Military units:
Warriors 2
Archers 7
Impis 15
Horsemen 3
Catapults 4
Galleys 2
Curraghs 2

Unit Support:
Total units: 52
Allowed: 68
Support cost: 0 gpt

Sliders
60% tech/30%taxes/10%luxury

Research:
Monarchy, 8 turns, +1gpt. (7 in the bank)

2 pictures:

Iron Island:
Spoiler :

Core:

The save:

Nicely done. I was looking at Mpondo during my turns, but I couldn't decide what to do with it.

There were no landings at all, was very boring.

IBT: Koreans land an Archer and Spear at Carthage.

:lol:

You were a bit luckier than me, I got a number of landings and the AI couldn't decide where to invade so I was running all over the place.

I guess it was such a pathetic landing that I forgot about it. Either that, or boredom-induced Alzheimers. Oh well. Once we get some Iron, we can make things exciting again.

Pre-turn: Hire a scientist in Zimbabwe.

370AD- Hittites start Glib.

400AD- Mpondo founded

420AD- Monarchy> Philo. Revolt. We have about 3 towns that have to lose pop due to starvation. Greece finishes ToA. Hittites land reg warrior at Tugela

430AD- Ship cat back to mainland where it knocks an hp off reg warrior. Vet horse kills it clean and goes elite. We will be out of anarchy in 4. With scientists, we have philo in 7 for now. Egypt finishes Great Wall in Thebes.

440AD- Korea lands a horse at Utica

450AD- Use cat to knock an HP off the Korean horse. Kill it with one of our own horses.

And done.

Post-turn: There are a few workers building a road outside the border of Mpondo so we can connect up a new town once another settler is ready.

There is a Greek galley by Utica which may drop something next turn.

There are 2 turns of anarchy remaining.

Top Bottom