Rat37 - Very Random AWE

Unfortunately, we will have to wait for Astronomy, unless we capture or build the GLighthouse(I think). The entry for Astronomy has the ability to trade across sea tiles as oe ability it unlocks.

I thought that was the case, allowing cultural borders to carry trade routes was an interesting change in CivIV. As Rat said, we don't want an easy game, do we? :D

Remember that the Hittites have the Great Library - I forget where. If we grab that city we may get astronomy.

I didn't forget :p The first thing I did was check this and IIRC they built it in their capital. Typically we don't know where that is yet :rolleyes:. I am fairly certain the AI's don't have astronomy, I don't recall any wonder messages showing they gave got that far. Our biggest problem is knights are going to show up soon, chivalry is definitely known.

Rat, would you like a swap so you can play before your trip? I can't get to it tonight. I know it's already the 10th there, so I wouldn't finish in time for you to take it if I play.

I will see whether I can slot in my turns tonight. If I can, I will play some turns before you.

Play what you can, if you can't play any, no problem. I'll be more free tomorrow night, since I'm caught up with work and I've finished my SG responsibilities elsewhere.

didn't get to play any turns, so you go ahead

Finished up, little progress, but we do have Feudalism. Currently building several Maces, would be more but we need replacement Galleys. Here is the turnlog:

Spoiler :

Pre-Flight: CivAssist 2, Word running. Open the save, look things over.
Spot a Hittite Mace, so much for no Iron. Run an elite horse to Iron Island.
Switch Bapedi to a Sword.

Civilian units:
Settlers 0
Workers 20
Slaves 4

Military units:
Warrior 1
Archers 7
Swordsmen 7
Horsemen 4
Impis 17
Catapults 9
Galleys 5

Unit Support:
Total units: 70
Allowed: 50
Support cost: 20 gpt

Press enter=>

IBT: Hittites want to talk. Go away…
The Mace then Slaughters our eSword.
Greek Mace moves.
Sparta finishes Sun Tzus.
Hattusas then gets Knights Templar in the Cascade.
Seoul then get Leonardos.

Turn 1, 760 AD: Kill the red-lined Mace with eArcher on Hittite Isle, with eHorse on Iron Island, no leader.

IBT: Hittite Galley easily kills one of ours.

Turn 2, 770 AD: Hittites now have Pikes.

IBT: Hittite Mace dies on our Sword.
Construction researched, next is Feudalism.
Isandhlwana Swordsman=>Swordsman.
Mpondo Redux Swordsman=>Swordsman.
Isipezi Swordsman=>Swordsman.

Turn 3, 780 AD: 3 Swords and 3 catapults seem like a weak stack vs a pike.

IBT: Hittites land a Mace at Hattusha, Greeks land an LB at Ngome and an AC and an Archer at Umfolozi.
Bapedi Swordsman=>Swordsman.
Umfolozi starves, then Temple=>Catapult.

Turn 4, 790 AD: At Umfolozi, ping the AC twice, Horse wins, Warrior loses vs Archer.
At Ngome, Archer kills LB. At Hattusha, Sword kills Mace.
No luck at Ugarit, no attack.

IBT: Hittite MDI attacks a Sword, takes 1 hp and promotes the Sword.
Zimbabwe Swordsman=>Swordsman.
Intombe Galley=>Swordsman.

Turn 5, 800 AD: Catapults are useless again, Ugarit attack cancelled.
Kill the wounded Greek Archer. Kill a Hittite Mace. Got promotions.

IBT: Mostly boats milling around.

Turn 6, 810 AD: Redline the pike, but lose 1 sword and kill 2 Spears.

IBT: No attacks or landings, but it’s about to get hot at Hubishna. A Crusader and 2 Maces show up.
Hlobane Forbidden Palace=>Swordsman.

Turn 7, 820 AD: Nothing much.

IBT: The stack at Hubishna take an interest in our catapult stack.
Ulundi Marketplace=>Swordsman.

Turn 8, 830 AD: Take a risk, use other catapults to ping the Crusader, kill him and a Mace. Leaves 2 Swords vs 2 MDI.

IBT: 2 of 3 Maces win, we almost lose those catapults.
Hittites also sink another Galley and land a LB.
Zimbabwe Swordsman=>Swordsman.
Ibabanago Temple=>Catapult.

Turn 9, 840 AD: Pull wounded troops back. Ping and kill LB clean.
MM, hire scientists, etc. to get Feudalism next turn.

IBT: Hittites sink another Galley, this is getting ridiculous!
Feudalism researched, next is Engineering. (can be changed)

Turn 10, 850 AD: Change west coast builds to galleys.
Only progress here was getting Feudalism.

Civilian units:
Settler 0
Workers 20
Slaves 4

Military units:
Archers 6
Swordsmen 10
Horsemen 4
Impis 17
Catapults 9
Galleys 3

Unit Support:
Total units: 69
Allowed: 50
Support cost: 19 gpt

Sliders
40% tech/60%taxes/00%luxury

Research:
Engineering, 8 turns, +1 gpt. (14 in the bank)

One picture, not much has changed:
Spoiler :

The save:

Preturn- Fire scientist in starving Zimbabwe. Does nothing to change status, engineering due in 8. Interesting that we have not met Egypt yet. Ping Hittite galley. Our hold there is pretty tenuous and only 1 galley in the area for troop transport. The money is invested in engineering so I will finish it, but my thought is then to shut science off. I don’t see an important tech that we would learn soon. So given the fact we are going to need the cash for the bigger military it would seem the better strategy is to kill science, build up the cash reserve and capture the Glib.

IBT- Speaking of Egypt, here comes their galley.

860AD- Greet Cleo, 13 cities, up Republic, Lit and Mono. Declare war.
We have zero defensive units on Hittite lands, that needs fixing some day. Mpondo Redux needs a clown.

IBT- We get a regular impi out of Hattusha, Greece lands Acav and archer at Umtata.

870AD- So ok. On the Hittite front, IMHO this isn’t going to work. We can’t hold on to their homeland with one galley that needs at least two turns to get troops across. They are now showing 5 MI and a crusader. We have 6 swords, 6 cats and a reg impi. Meanwhile both cities of theirs that we have are a 10% flip risk.

IBT- Greeks lose archer attacking Umtata. AC kills impi at Ibabango. Hittites position themselves to assault Hattusha next turn. Egypt has a settler pair on our homeland. We need to take care of some business in our backyard.

880AD- Dang it, Zimbabwe rioted. Fix that. Bombard AC and elite sword finishes it off.
Put all defenders into Hattusha.

IBT- Win 2 and lose 3 at Hattusha. Korea lands a horse by Hubishna. Egypt founds Pythom on our homeland.

890AD- Given the results, I would say our bridgehead will fold in about 3, so I am going to pull a Dunkirk. Position two galleys to try and evacuate the cats next turn. Hubishna is abandoned, it can’t be protected. Cats go a miserable 1/6 against the Hittites.

IBT- The Korean archer kills one of our swords at Hattusha and the Koreans win nothing. A bit unexpected.

900AD- Elite sword kills Korean horse. Nothing.

IBT- Our elite sword is redlined but survives attack from Hittite MI.

910AD- With Hubishna abandoned, I have a change of heart and think now maybe Hattusha can hold out for a bit longer, if we can keep pinging away with cats. But defenders are down to 4 so we must get some pikes in there. Lose a vet MI, but kill reg MI and spear and Pythom is destroyed. Get one promotion to elite for MI.

IBT- Greeks start Copernicus.

920AD- Ping the Hittites

IBT- Hittites shuffle their troops around Hattusha. Still sporting a 9% flip risk, we’re living on the edge here.

930AD- New Bapedi founded SE of Zimbabwe.

IBT- Things take a turn for the worse, Greece gets serious about taking out our iron. They land a knight and A-Cav outside Iron Jungle.

940AD- No good choices, the iron is either likely lost, or Isles End must be given up. Sell off the walls in Isles End and empty the city. We’ll have to try and get it back later.

IBT- Hittites sink a galley. They use galleys to drop 2 more MI at Hattusas. Isles End is taken by Greece. Engineering>invention

950AD- Go single scientist for invention and hire taxmen. Sink Hittite galley. Ping the Hittite MI. Reinforce Iron Jungle and done.

Post turn. We need to beef up the military, my suggestion would be to do that before moving on to further Hittite conquests. I’ve held them off so far, but we are almost certainly going to lose our toehold. Debate is welcome over the science move, but since the Hittites aren’t going anywhere, then neither is the Glib. Suggested priorities: Finish securing the homeland to include finishing tundra towns, reinforce island with Iron Jungle as there are too many Greek galleys about. They are going to continue trying to land there. Get settlers and a good landing force back on Hittite lands to finish what was started. Isles End has a Greek A-Cav, knight, and now certainly a spear defender. They can jump after iron jungle any time, so the sooner we strengthen our hold there, the better.

Preturn: I don't understand the two Galleys asleep in Intombe. I wake them up and put two Pike on them

IBT: Our Sword wins agains the Hittite MDI. The Greek city has a Knight and ACav which kills a Sword.

960 AD: The two Pike jump onto another ship and are dropped off on in our other city. This should help us keep it especially with the walls going up next turn. Kill two MDI. Move on Greek city.

IBT: Landing near Ibabango - Knight, ACav, Longbow, MDI.

970 AD: Take back Isles End but lose an MDI. Kill knight near Ibabango.

IBT: Attack on Ibabango kills a Pike and Impi

980 AD: Bombard and kill 2 Crusader from Hitttites. Rush Barracks in Hittite city.

IBT: Lose a Pike to an MDI. Win the rest. Landing near Umtatta - Knight and MDI

990 AD: Kill some more units.

IBT: Lose 2 units in Umtatta. Our dyes are Pillaged by a Musket.

1000 AD: Kill Umtatta landing. Kill units near Hittite city.

Notes:
Only played 5 because I didn't want to hold up the game.

A number of Elite victories (I was even leader fishing) and no Leader. Our luck has been very bad. We need an army - this is why I tried to hold the Hittite city. Units moved out of the city but should move back in again. Need more Pike and MDI too - upgrade vet sword.

Defense is difficult with multiple islands and not enough Cats and Trebs.

There are still injured Greeks on our second Island.

this is surely slow progress...but we simply need to hang on to astronomy

The Roster
ThERat - Away to June 27
Greebley
AndrewN - up
TheOverseer
M60A3TTS - Just Played

Ya, this is probably worth doing as soon as we feel we have enough units to cover everything. I felt we had almost enough - the second island and hittite stronghold needed reinforcements.

If we get kicked off the Hittite island (very possible), then I would build aquaducts before attacking again. What I am really hoping for is a leader - we desperately need an army.

In several of my games, I've had a terrible leader drought going. Just bad RnG luck.

TheOverseer, since AndrewN hasn't posted for a while,why don't you pick the game up so we get this going again.

Top Bottom