RB8 - Multiplayer Madness

You'll need to have no mods cached when loading it, I imagine - rename the custom assets folder then clear the cache.

BeefontheBone said:
There's not a lot of point, actually - they don't carry over on save/load, unless they fixed that in the last patch. IIRC you need to go out to the strategic view to place them.
It would still be useful to know what the command is -- it's useful for screenshots, for note-taking & dotmaps, and so forth. Ability to save them would be nice, but even without that I am sure I could find a use for signs... if I knew how to put them up! :)

Again, is this a MP-only feature, or is it available in SP?

Zed-F said:
It would still be useful to know what the command is -- it's useful for screenshots, for note-taking & dotmaps, and so forth.

IIRC you need to get to the globe view and the strategcy layer. There is a button there that allows this to be done.

Edit - ignore double post

Zed - the command is Alt-S (or maybe ctrl-S) to place a sign. No need to go to the strategy layer. Sorry to make you wait so long for the answer :)

To all, I just tried playing the game with Atlas. I can get into the game fine both hosting and joining, but for some reason atlas gets disconnected whenever he tried to enter the game.

So, in the interest of keeping the game going, we are going to reorder the roster to give Atlas time to fix his game. I'm going to go ahead and change to the time-zone friendly roster, so here is where we stand:

ROSTER:
1 - Snaproll / Drasca
2 - Chriseay / Thunderbunny
3 - Morred / Thormdor - UP!
4 - Uniqueuponhim / Atlas - ON DECK

Morred, Thormdor, grab the game and play. And, with any luck, by the time it gets back to Atlas he'll be all set. I entreat everyone to try and remain patience - this is an experiment and things like this are cound to happen.

Remember - the GAME password is RB8 - there should be no civ passwords.

Good luck Morred and Thormdor!

@ lurkers: We really could use some volunteers to be alternates for this game! If you were an alternate, you'd be playing right now! This game will utilize alternates much more than a traditional SG - in fact I expect the alternates to play about as often as the regulars.

Ok, Morred. I am free tonight if you can play. I will check the Civ multiplayer area and see if I can get ahold of you. If not, I am free after 8:10 PM Seoul Time on Tuesday evening. Let me know. :)

Morred, I can play anytime after 8 PM tomorrow night. I work until 7:30 and I will be home by 8 PM. I can check my E-mail at work tomorrow. Please let me know.

I was on MSN but didn't see you. I will be able to play after 10 PM tomorrow night. I have to go watch a hockey game with some friends after work.
Sorry guys for holding up the train. Looking forward to playing. ;)

Timezoneconverter.com says:

07:26:44 Friday January 6, 2006 in Asia/Seoul converts to
09:26:44 Friday January 6, 2006 in Australia/Melbourne

So 10 PM for you guys is Noon for me, I'll be out seeing a movie. Will you be around closer to midnight your time?

10 PM my time (Seoul) is midnight for you. (Melbourne) I hope that is not too late. I will get on MSN as soon as I get home. I will look for you. If that is not realistic, please E-mail me. :)

Doh! The earlies I could play is 9 PM. That would be 11 PM your time. If we can't agree, we will have to skip. I can be free Saturday afternoon if that is good for you. Please let me know and I will make arrangements.

Thormodr, what is your MSN? Mine is drasca@hotmail.com. I am could be free at that oddball hour to play if Morred isn't.

The "no cheating" option prevents Atlas from being able to play. I have heard of using a hex editor to remove the no cheating option out of the saved game, but I am unsure if or this process will work.

I suggest we either remake the map, or Atlas will have to sit out of this one until some solution comes. I'm fine with remaking because there haven't been that many turns played. What do you feel? Remake the map or no? Until that decision has been made, the teams are again disarrayed.

Additional: Checking the no cheating option could prevent other people, not just atlas, from playing. This is why I am concerned. If the no-cheating option was a flawed that could be cured, I would not object to keeping it, but it is far from flawless and definitely incurable right now.

My MSN and Yahoo Messengers are: artcormode@hotmail.com and artcormode@yahoo.com
I am free most of Saturday so hopefully we can arrange a time.

Art

I accept on faith that others will not cheat. I don't see the point in it. Mind you, I was sorely tempted in GOTM2 when the RNG kicked my butt. :p
However, if it denies other people a chance to play fairly, I will take the chance that no one will cheat. Maybe I am naive but that is my opinion. :p

Lurker comment:
I had a problem with no cheating option in the GOTM2. There is a utility in the GOTM forum which will check your assets folder and return a text stream. From this Ainwood was able to tell me what the problem files were. My issue was, even though my game was not modded, I had modded my assets folder in the past and had saved backups of the original files there. So even though my game wasn't currently modded, I still had to delete the backups from the assets folder before it would work. No cheating option is very strict...

For future games, I think you really need to get the times available to play sorted out at the beginning. This might be best done in GMT, as some early riser (I'm told they exist) in one timezone might be able to play with a night-owl in a completely different timezone. A list of of available playing times in GMT for each player would enable quick selecting of appropriate teams.

I do apologize for all this...If it makes it easier, I could withdraw. I am in another SG (OCC Monarch Straight Up) so it's cool. I still wanna play this Multiplayer as I love that sort of game though. I hope this whole thing works out anyway. :)

Top Bottom