RBCiv Conquests SG Discussion Thread

During this current round of Conquesting I am left to ask a simple quesiton. Where did the Aztec Open Game go?? I was looking forward to throwing in a turn set or two on that. I have not seen a link to the Iroquois modded game or even seen it start up. Just wondering.
On a different topic, is the Mesopotamia scenario going to be revisited? I have seen rumblings that T-Hawk would like to make a Sid run at it, and I only saw a Phonecian DG game in the forums. I would be willing to go for at least deity, possibly Sid. (Sumerians or Medes). Medes for scouts, Sumerians for very nasty enkidu flood.
Over the weekend I scouted the Napoleonic Conquest. I won handily as France on Deity. I used the Governor, crack smoked a few alliances and still won. Either I got really lucky, my strategy was good, or a blind squirrel gets an acorn every now and again. I lean towards novel strategy as Demi-god and emporer were real bears. Well that and Denmark didn't declare war on Russia at the wrong time, or declare peace 2 turns from destroying an enemy. Spain lost on Monarch, Russia was winnable on Emporer by me soloing, as were Austrians and Ottomans.
Spain doesn't get a golden age, making a tough sell even worse. I haven't tried the Prussians, but I think they will also be very challenging.
Just some thoughts.
P.S. Willing to try a Sid run on MesoAmerica with Aztecs to revenge earlier loss.

I have tried the prussians on DemiGod a couple of times, and it is a fun place to be, full of strategy. Unfortunately I cannot win, due to some AI always getting their VPs faster than me.
It is probably winnable by a good team, but I would be surprised if they managed to win easily. It is a very random scenario though, with wars breaking out at the drop of a hat, and peace is rare and far between.
I agree on the game being very easy as the french. Their forces are just too strong in the hands of a player that is not incompetent.

I thought Charis wanted to wait on Sengoku until the patches stopped coming out. In my personal opinion Segoku is my least favorite/worst conquest. In this the Sid run would probably be done with the Mori, as they have 5 luxes, iron and Jade that can be grabbed by only 5 cities.
Sengoku devolves into just use ninja on the Shogun way to easily.

I know Charis has a lot of RL issues going on right now...that's probably why the Aztec game never got started. I doubt he'd mind if somebody else started it, but I really can't say for certain.

Sengoku's going to be a PITA -- not sure I'll even want to participate in that one. For the Napaleon, I was thinking about trying to do France as always war, just for a bit of extra challenge -- probably emperor? Would add spice to the Conquest anyway.

Arathorn

Arathorn said:
Sengoku's going to be a PITA
There is no way I'm playing this Conquest again unless the Yamabushi is modded and toned down. It is the most "broken" (unbalanced) unit ever officially produced in any Civ game, in my opinion.

Arathorn said:
For the Napaleon, I was thinking about trying to do France as always war, just for a bit of extra challenge -- probably emperor? Would add spice to the Conquest anyway.

Arathorn

I haven't played this one, but as I understand, France is in a locked alliance with Denmark, and somewhat at the mercy of them making peace deals at inappropriate times? I guess you could re-declare anyway, trashing your rep, which wouldn't matter in Always War, but just something to look into.

I haven't played the Conquest, but what's wrong with the Yamabushi? 2-5-2 / 60, ATAR, detect invisible. Sounds like a decent defensive unit but that's about it.

The Ninja, on the other hand, is ridiculous. 6-2-1 / 80, and pretty much every ability you could ever want: ATAR, amphibious, invisible, detect invisible, stealth attack, hidden nationality. Basically Berserks with ATAR and the stealth/hidden stuff. A quick fix if the patch doesn't address it could be to remove hidden nationality and remove the Shoguns from the list of stealth attack targets.

Regarding the Aztec game for Age of Discovery, whoever wants to start it up please do so. Demigod difficulty, no other restrictions.

Caesar Augustus was supposed to be the captain of the Iroquois game - are you still around? If not, DeceasedHorse and 6thGenTexan are the other listed players - either of you want to start it up?

The Yambushi shows up very early and can pillage an AI into the stone crossbow age. Since Iron or Jade is needed for all decent units, and the land is so packed, Yambushi can emasculate an opponent 1-2 turns after a war starts. Very unbalancing for the discerning player. If Gobi or another Breakaway guy is watching a very good patch would be to remove the pillage ability of the Yambushi. If you get an early MGL a Yambushi Army is death for all your opponents. The Army will also never become outdated, meaning that you get a nasty Defensive, pillaging, ninja killing army for 300+ turns.
On a slightly off topic subject, is there a thread that tells you how to create games. I would like to learn how to start threads, and thus start up some interesting variants of my own creation. I am intersted in playing the Aztec and or Iro games but I think a slightly more experienced player should take opening of an Open Sucession Game and the creator should start the mod.

T-hawk said:
I haven't played the Conquest, but what's wrong with the Yamabushi? 2-5-2 / 60, ATAR, detect invisible. Sounds like a decent defensive unit but that's about it.

Let me show you a picture: (LK57 Succession Game)

The above wasteland used to be the heartland of Japan. 15 turns ago, when Yamabushis were first discovered and the tech was traded amongst the neighbors, almost every single square was roaded and developed. There were plenty of workers around. Within that timespan, all squares were pillaged, all workers were killed (not just escaped into the nearest city - killed.) The AI routines for worker safety and anti-pillaging defense :crazyeye: simply cannot handle such a powerful pillaging unit.
(note: The human player(s) did not participate in the pillage-fest.)

FYI. Ninjas can't target a Shogun/King unit. (At least they couldn't on the patch we played on.)

I played the scenario many moons ago and was able to target shoguns with Ninja. I would walk up a giant stack of 20+ ninja, covered in every direction by sam spears or yamabushi, and just devestate their shogun. Rinse, repeat, and settle the open lands for any easy and quick domination run.

Ah. Bad me then. We must have implemented a "Don't do that" soft rule in the game and I mis-remembered it as something the game wouldn't let us do.

Rubberjello said:
The above wasteland used to be the heartland of Japan. 15 turns ago, when Yamabushis were first discovered and the tech was traded amongst the neighbors, almost every single square was roaded and developed. There were plenty of workers around. Within that timespan, all squares were pillaged, all workers were killed (not just escaped into the nearest city - killed.) The AI routines for worker safety and anti-pillaging defense :crazyeye: simply cannot handle such a powerful pillaging unit.
(note: The human player(s) did not participate in the pillage-fest.)

:lol: I am SOOO glad that didn't happen in my game! :lol:

We could always mod the game. Its QUITE doubtful that the next patch will change anything in the conquests.

Rubberjello said:
Let me show you a picture: (LK57 Succession Game)

Note the very left edge of the screen and the human player wall. This was done to stop us from surrfering the pillage of death. We have to block every square to keep our tiles developed.

The Yami were a extreme pain...

The French have demonstrated the superiority of their culture, achieving the Civ-Wide culture victory in 1620AD. Our total was 20,172, compared to Spain's 6,789. Paris was the highest single city, at 2,971. :)

The turning point (which can be seen on the graph) was getting access to Ball Courts, combined with our Golden Age. After that, it was time for some fun Piracy to keep our 'friends' from returning too much treasure.
The Treacherous English decided to make the last few turns interesting by declaring war to get out of 300+gpt payments! Still, the big challenge was making sure we wouldn't accumulate VPs on defense faster than our culture. Great game, and great teammates. [dance]

Here's the Link

Another quick bump on the Aztec game. As I am not a registered member of RBCiv, I do not think it would be right for me to start the Aztec Game. If I am mistaken, let me know and we will get that cranking for everyone to jump in on.

I have also scored an iroquois mod from Doc T. I hope to get that game up and running in the next couple of days, unless Ceaser shows back up, or anyone else has a preferred mod that they would like to play. Also a roster for that game would be nice.

Top Bottom