1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RBCiv Conquests SG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Charis, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Cuivienen

Cuivienen Deity

Sign me up for the French cultural victory, and any one of the historical-based games.

2. akots

akots Poet

Bloodthirsty nature sometimes demands something brutal. If possible, please sign me up for a game where it is allowed to sacrifice (Maya Deity, signle city cultural or similar?).

3. Ridgelake

Ridgelake Prince

Sign me up for anything that needs another person. I am going to be out of town on business until May 10. So if we start up before then, I won't be able to confirm.

Ridge

4. hotrod0823

hotrod0823 Deity

Im in for European game!

5. Grimjack

Grimjack Bounty Hunter

Sign me in for one of the games, whereever there might be one person missing.

Grimjack

6. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Please put me in any American game.

7. Pokiste

Pokiste Chieftain

Sign me up for England game please. Emperor is prefered.
    best regards
    Pokiste

8. 6thGenTexan

6thGenTexan King

I'd like to be a part of the pirate game and the Iroquois mod. To be a little more historical, the Iroquois should attack all European colonies except for the British.

6gntxn

9. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Bump bump bump.

Any news on this? I'll PM Charis directly, too.

10. Charis

Charis Realms Beyond

OK! We're almost set! I've spent several days getting no work done fighting
    RL problems that should have have come up in the first place, so pardon the
    delay here. I went through all the sign-up requests and preferences, and have
    come up with a tenative game and assignment list.

If I missed anyone, made a poor assignment, listed someone as captain who
    would prefer not to, or in any other way mishandled things, let me know :crazyeye:

Tentative Age of Discovery Game List
    (Roughly speaking, most difficult first within each continent. The difficulties
    are subject to change, up to each team captain in accord with team preference)

European
    - Portugal Sid (T-Hawk)
    - Netherlands Dty (Aggie)
    - France Emperor but cultural win (Justus II)
    - Spanish DG historical conquistadors of the New World (Gobi Bear)
    - England Demigod historical piracy game (Bede)

American
    - Mayan Deity (Akots)
    - Incans Emperor (single city culture - would this be possible as 'No sacrificing'?)
    - Iroquois modded game (Caesar Augustus, domination/conquest, Emperor)
    - Aztecs Open DG (Charis)

Proposed Assignments:
    RBC14A. Portugal Sid - (T-Hawk), Speaker, Arathorn, Jabah, Charis [Full, 13A squad]
    RBC14B. Netherlands Dty - (Aggie), Yom, Ridgelake [, slot]
    RBC14C. France Emp - (Justus II), Cuivienen, romethemonk [, slot]
    RBC14D. Spanish DG+ - (Gobi Bear), Cuivienen, Hotrod [, slot]
    RBC14E. England DG - (Bede), Sir Bugsy, Deceased Horse, Pokiste, 6thGenTexan [Full]
    RBC14F. Mayan Dty - (Akots), Aggie, Kylearan, Rubberjello
    RBC14G. Incans (Emp) - (Sir Bugsy), Bede, Grimjack [, slot]
    RBC14H. Iroquois - (Caesar Augustus), Deceased Horse, 6thGenTexan [, slot]
    RBC14I. Aztecs Open DG - (Charis) - Open succession game format, no sign-ups.

It's likely we'll get a few others now that the list is set and we're almost ready
    to begin. (LKendter for example was a 'pending final list') In games with slots open, the
    order of difficulty might go: Aztecs, Spanish, France, Netherlands, Iro.
    For the 'historical' games, players in previous posts made excellent suggestions on how to
    add some additional flavor to the scenario. I'll let the captains listed here spell that out in
    more detail, and seek feedback/tweaks from other players on the team.

We have a few more slots, so continue to sign-up if interested. Feedback and questions are
    also welcome! We'll start this weekend (Fri or Sat) if no problems arise here.

Ah, one last important detail - Version 1.15 of C3C

Thanks,
    Charis

11. Aggie

Aggie Deity

Looking forward to it! I must point out that I will be on a holiday from May 27th to June 5th. But I should be able to start up 14B. Great to be the Dutch in this scenario :D

EDIT: So we could use an extra player!

12. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I'm overcommitted in SGs so I'd have to pass this one, but maybe I'll grab a piece in the open SG.

13. barbslinger

barbslinger Gun blast'n shot drinker

I'll take a piece of it if available. Only played the french once at emporer but never finshed after knocking out the spanish.

14. romeothemonk

romeothemonk Order of the Engineer

Can individual teams decide to use the upgrade??

15. akots

akots Poet

It may be too masochistic on Deity, IMO. Still can go for a single-city cultural win but with other culture-producing buildings? Keeping general cultural win as an option?

Chichen Itza starts with 50 cp and generates 21cpt. Single city victory requires 4K cp and entire civilization victory requires 20K cp. IIRC, sacrifice of one slave gives 20 cp. The main problem would be to win before European powers get VP or cultural victories.

The Mesoamerican Wonders look very attractive: Temple of the Moon and of Kukulcan (8 cpt each) and Temple of the Sun (10cpt). There is also Library (2cpt) and Colosseum (also 2cpt) which is not that much. Then it goes to same tech tree as European civilizations which includes Cathedral (3cpt), University (3cpt), and some wonders which bring really low culture (1-3 cpt). So, it looks like sacrifice is the most important source of culture in this game. And main unit is therefore JT. Might be a very bloody game indeed.

16. Justus II

Justus II General Staff

Great, I'm really looking forward to this one. I will look over the start for France and start a discussion thread probably tomorrow night so we can get some input (and hopefully another signup). Timing should work out well to kick off the first set of turns on Saturday.

17. Bede

Bede Deity

WIll start the discussion thread for the English "gentlemen adventurers" tomorrow. Sir Walter Ralegh and the crew of the Golden Hind return to rule the seas!!!

18. Aggie

Aggie Deity

Great barbslinger! That makes RBC14B: Netherlands Dty - (Aggie), Yom, Ridgelake, barbslinger.

EDIT: Am I right that the Dutch must declare war on Spain in turn 1 (which should last for 80 turns) in this deity variant? But that there are no other rules?

19. grahamiam

grahamiam In debt to Mr. Geisel

i'd like to join RBC14C, if you'll have me, i do need some culture :) however, please note that i am not too familiar with this C3C scenario. actually, I haven't been able to play any of them except the 1st due to a recent build--up of "honey-do's". i will completely understand if you'd prefer someone familiar with the scenario.

20. Charis

Charis Realms Beyond

Very good, lots of folks ready to go, and some very good questions.

@romethemonk
    > Can individual teams decide to use the upgrade??

If there are a team's worth of people all using v1.22 they can use that, but...
    i) I don't want anyone who wasn't planning to upgrade to have to do that,
    ii) Players from other games and many lurkers won't be able to read 1.22 files
    iii) I would prefer to keep them all in the same version.
    That said, if there are more 1.22 users than I expect, then we may need to do some replanning :scan:

@akots
    > It may be too masochistic on Deity, IMO. Still can go for a single-city
    > cultural win but with other culture-producing buildings? Keeping general
    > cultural win as an option?

I don't have experience enough on the scenario to say, so that will be your call. I know we aimed a bit high on more than one RBC13 game. Definitely do have a 'back door' option due to the uncertainty.

@Aggie
    > Am I right that the Dutch must declare war on Spain in turn 1 (which
    > should last for 80 turns) in this deity variant? But that there are no other
    > rules?

Nope! :p The Netherlands game is a simple "high difficulty" game with no special rules. The two games aiming for a historical flair are England and Spain (to some extent Iroquois). In fact, I think that apart from the variant games, we don't really want much Europe war going on, as players with experience for the scenario pointed out that makes it far too easy. BTW, some have said that the Dutch are the toughest to play out of Europe. That added with Deity lvl and the Portuguese already in their Golden Age should make for a fun game :p

@grahamiam
    > please note that i am not too familiar with this C3C scenario.
    No problem!! We've got a mix here. Many players (including myself) have never played the scenario before and are joining in for the challenge of figuring things out as we go. Others have played the scenario, and for some it's one of their favorite ;) So lack of scenario experience is a non-issue. Just be sure you have enough general Civ/C3C experience to play at the difficulty of the game you sign up for (or one below, given the expertise of your teammates)

Any other comments for 'general' rules? Gobi - did I miss anything important in my most recent post?

Charis