RBP5 - Defiant Nationalists of Japan

It was an extremely brave effort, gentlemen. Congrats on fighting hard, and sticking to your guns despite extreme hardship. I think everyone got a chance to face extreme odds, and right until the end we held them off. (Sancho, tnx for de-lurking!)

If China thought they had an easy pushover, they were wrong. They got this instead: :wallbash:

That was a great screenshot of PSH, Arathorn :lol:
By any chance do you have the save file from the turn before the end, I want to get this in my game list. If not, it should be pretty easy to duplicate the loss :p

The game was interesting, certainly. If any thought it wouldn't be so bad, fooled ya! For those wanting this challenge but less pain, I would recommend doing it on Emperor, where it's 'fun'. For those thinking it TOO hard, remember this was a 'baby step' toward 'Always War'. And seeing how it went, I'm less certain the latter is doable outside of extreme conditions. That expansion graph Arathorn post is... sick.

Jaxom, you and I now share a mark of infamy. The only guys around who have lost *two* succesion games!! ;)
cpp1, sheesh, what an intro to the Realms Beyond SG's. You did a super job! I look forward to another game together!

I'll be starting a new SG this weekend btw, an offshoot of OW.
Charis

Well, we fought the good fight and stuck to our principles. As far as I know this is the first SG that has been defeated militarily. The combination of Deity, refusing all tribute demands, not paying for peace, and no MPPs, Alliances, ROPs, or Embargoes appears to be very difficult to pull off. It's feels like always war on Deity except we had occasional periods of peace.

During my 4 stints as meiji (35 game turns) I had 3 game turns of peace and 32 game turns of war. It was a rough game but I think we're finding the boundaries of what is possible.

Thanks Charis, Arathorn, Architect, and Jaxom for playing in a wonderful game :goodjob: and to all the lurkers (Todd - rest up and get well) for cheering us on :band: .

Edit: Charis: Thanks, I really enjoyed this game and look forward to playing again with you soon.

Great game guys! Sad to see you lost, but a valiant effort nonetheless. Another attempt on archipelago could work, perhaps with the Vikings. If you start on your own land mass, that'd be *much* easier, in fact, I'd be inclined to suggest more Deity restrictions. Maybe something about how if you settle on a virgin land mass, you consider the entire land mass 'yours' and will attack any civilization that attempts to settle on it as well.

-Sirp.

Well this was quite a challenge but I think we could beat this game and other games like it by playing a military style from the start.

I would suggest:

1. Build 4+ warriors in each city.
2. Build cities in an ICS like fashion no more than 2 apart.
3. Build troops to secure the homeland preventing the AI from entering our lands
4. Use Monarchy for better troops support with little or no infrastructure until the homeland is secure.

We would probably get way behind in tech but we could still catch up just much later in the game.

I'm interested in playing this style again or trying something similar but as challenging.

I think Architect is right, the stance needs to be more warlike. Consider it as like Always war but we can make deals, buy tech and extort tech when we win a war, but expect war is coming. (Rather than try to build with just a little extra military)

While your own land mass would be easier, it nearly ruins the Defiant nature of the game, imo. Putting an end to Deity-ROP(TM) is a key point here :p Both this game and always war have a wholly different flavor with your own island (that's not to say they wouldn't be fun or challenging)

Charis

Jaxom, you and I now share a mark of infamy. The only guys around who have lost *two* succesion games!!

Don't worry, you will be in good company soon enough (CG4).:blush:

What's that? Who're you calling orange, apple-breath?!

Top Bottom