RBP6 - MOW! Ottoman deity SG

Originally posted by Skyfish
I believe the Defiant Nationalist variant should be given another try as Revenge is calling !

Uh oh! ;)

If we get another one under way sometime in the future, we should try to devise some way to make it last at least further into the Industrial Age.

If that isn't a *DEFIANT* throwing-down-the-gauntlet comment, CB, I don't know what to call it! :hammer:

Another sign of a game that went very well, folks are signing up for the follow-on game when we haven't even picked it yet -- that's a great vote of confidence :p

I would love to hear from CB and others in this game, what thoughts do you have for a Defiant Nationalist game with respect to:

- What Civ? rematch Japan? Celts? Rome? Germans?
- Compared to RBP5, what would you do different? (Mainly 'taking the threat to be real and deadly at all times, more military build-up and less infra, less hopeful plans for expansive offensive wars, I'm thinking)
- are any rules tweaks needed (I'm thinking no, not in essence, lest we avoid the true challenge of it)

If such a game didn't make it out of the Industrial Era I would be utterly flabbergasted and impressed.

Charis

As for a civ, I think Japan is the right choice. Militaristic obviously. Religious to help with quick gov changes to help with war weariness. Good UU that would set off our GA at a good time.

The Celts would be similar, but their UU is expensive and would likely force a pre-mature GA.

Rome has commercial over religion. Less corruption would be good, but anarchy periods may well tie our hands for treating war weariness. The side benefit of religion is cheap temples......

Germans, why would we need science? :) This is not AW, is it? Well, maybe it would be close. Perhaps a worthwhile consideration. Their UU is late though.

The Vikings might be a thought as well, depending on the map type. We got such a big benefit from popping a settler this game, that may well be a major key to our success in the next one.

Shrug. Those are my thoughts.

Well, the Chinese could also be a good choice. Militaristic + Industrious is turning into my favourite combo. Plus, the UU is great and well-timed.
Also, it would make sense as a sequel to last game... The Defiant Nationalists of Japan may be dead, but their spirit lives on and has infected their victors!

I'd be interested in playing the defiant game if you give it another shot. How about if you change one rule, though -- you don't have to be defiant about rival units that are in jungle squares. :lol:

I just read the rules for RBP5, this looks like a logical step up in difficulty. (Stops us from the alliance dogpiles anyway).

Like Ridgelake says, I think the Celts are out cause their unit is too expensive (a nice unit otherwise).

I'd say skip Japan, only to add variety to the series, otherwise a real nice choice (one of my favorite civs).

I'd vote for Rome next, but Sirian has his infantry variant running.

That leaves the Germans, which would mean that we don't get our UU till the late Industrial Age, which might be very appropriate unless we finish it up before we get our UU. :lol:

Other ideas: Aztec, China, Egypt, Mongols and Zulu.

Aztecs (probably a better choice for Deity can be made), Egypt (my pet), China (could be awesome), I've never played the Mongols and Zulu (early advantages).

I'd say we should use a civ that you have not used in the RBP series and one that you don't have reserved for a later scenario.

Originally posted by Charis
RBP5 - Defiant Nationalists of Japan (Succession game)
The proposed "Defiant Nationalist" rules are:
* No giving in to tribute, ever. That includes never paying for peace.
I don't think we did this at least that I can remeber? Did we do it early?
* May never sign mutual protection pacts, military alliance, right of passage, or embargo
We did do the RoP but only to get at the others.
* Any troops in your land must be told to leave immediately
I don't remember this being a problem except maybe the Romans ealry on.
* No capturing of foreign cities or demanding cities in tribute (flips/propaganda are ok)
This one we did, but a lot of the later were raze and rebuild. I guess we would have had to raze Sun's.
* No qualms about dastardly actions in the best interest of our nation
(e.g., steal tech, military blockades, wars of aggression, neutral pillaging...)
Did we need to be dastardly.....oh yeah, the French....
* If an AI razes one of your cities, it must be eliminated (timeframe up to you)
We would have blown this one as we didn't eliminate the French before the end.
* Foreign workers may never be added to your cities.
I don't think anyone did this one either, did we?
* Nationalism should be learned ASAP upon entering Industrial era
Can we trade for it?
* Every city size 7+ at this time, and subsequent cities reaching size 7 for first time,
MUST draft a unit for defense of that city. (So eventually, a conscript in every 'city')
This would have been pretty late in the game, but OK we could do that. Would it be the same if we pop-rushed one before we left despotism?

Seems like it shoud be pretty doable.

I would go more for the Chinese as we could then get revenge for both RPB2 and RPB5. Keep them cultural linked so to speak.

I like the Chinese for the DefNat game. They have a great combo of abilities and a really nice UU.

Definitely Chinese....

But just to offer a different alternative it seems to me the DefNat is a very defensive game in the beginning, because the main problem stems from Deity ROP (TM), you will have to wage an early war and that could really cripple your expansion in the beginning. Reading RPB5 it seemed the team was a bit enthusiastic about going and waging war in ennemy's territory. I would play it DEFENSE big time in the beginning, stay nicely locked up in walled cities and play a war of attrition.
Of course everyone must be real sick of Carthage atm but they have a great UU for this Defence perspective so of course....it's gotta be the Greeks !
:)

I would have to disagree on the Greeks, it would result in too early of a GA. Even the Chinese GA might be a little too early but it is better than the Greeks (if we us the UU). I think the key to this one is exactly what we did the this time, early military and don't take any sh.....stuff from anyone else. If they don't pick on us, we pick on them.....

I'd like to see another rule added:
We can't buy workers for gold and/or GPT. You can receive workers as part of a total trade deal but no straight worker for gold or GPT deals. [Part of a distain for foreigners rule.]

Sounds like the Chinese are getting the thumbs up and I think it's a good choice also.

On the Golden Age, I think early Golden Ages are waaaay under rated. That early boost of productivity should provide a crest that you can ride through the rest of the game. In my book, GA, the sooner the better.

Geez, I go to bed and the crew picks a theme allready :lol: I'ts probably too late for this now, but I had an idea for a rather diffrent sort of game for either 7 or 8 (since it looks like 7 is a landslide in favor of defiant).

Difficulty: Dieity or Emperor Plus
Map: Small/Temperate/Flat/Pangea/optimal # of cities for corruption changed to 12 from 14
Opponents 5 - No scientific Civs, otherwise random.

Varient Rules:
We may only build One city ever.

We may obtain up to 5 more cities maximum (enough for fp), but must propaganda/flip/capture them, they must be capable of joining boarders with one of our current cities on first boarder expansion which must be done asap by rushbuy or whip, even if it isnt ordinarily a prudent thing to do, and the city may work no citizens until it has a trade route and joined boarders with the capital.

Once we take ownersip of a city, it is our city and may never be abandoned or replaced. If it is razed, then we just have to plug along with no more than 5 total cities the rest of the game. If it is captured, we must make every reasonable effort to recapture it.

I know this doesn't sound too tough, but the kicker is that we are going for space ship victory, with all but culture enabled. (Might be impossible on Dieity with these restrictions, which is why I suggested Emperor plus as an alternative)

Many people expressed either public or private interest to me in a builder style for the next game (or maybe the one after it since defiant seems fairly settled on now), so this was my idea to do that and to promote a game we KNOW would reach the modern age (unless we lost). I have won this varient (barely) on Monarch, so I know it is doable on that level.

For defiant, I'd prefer Egypt because to me, Religious and Industrious are the 2 best civ traits at this level.

Remember, as far as UU's go, you can allways build them until you get a GA, so we just wouldn't use those chariots till we were ready to pick off a weakened eneny for our GA, after which we get some cheap upgrades :).

I do think we should DEFINATELY use an industrious civ. With all the restrictions we have imposed, we will need all the advantages we can get.

Originally posted by ToddMarshall

Difficulty: Dieity or Emperor Plus
Map: Small/Temperate/Flat/Pangea/optimal # of cities for corruption changed to 12 from 14
Opponents 5 - No scientific Civs, otherwise random.

Varient Rules:
We may only build One city ever.

So you start off OCC and you have to wait for a city to be built about 4 tiles or closer from your cultural border (and then it has get to size 2 or have culture) to get a chance to expand? Brutal. Then you have to build a space ship? Sounds like alot of espionage and intrigue.

It is brutal, and requires a decent, though not overwhelming start. The key is you DO start out OCC style, making sure you get the GL (annother reason emperor may be the right level for this). Then when the AI settle next to you, usually poaching some tiles from your 3X expanded boarders, you are going to get at least one flip (got 3 of them on the Monarch game hehe) because its right next to your capital and under huge pressure. Colonies are also a huge necessity in some games.

I forgot to say it would be 20% land, so you are going to have close neighbors who will settle near you when your culture is dominant giving you flip opportunities.

I admit I had an extremely favorable start in that game to be honest. Costal but not very costal. On a river with a cow, 3 hills, 3 BG and 4 silks (3 forest 1 jungle) in range for a huge commerce boost. Later turned out to have saltpeter, coal and uranium in range as well, though no iron or horses or rubber or :eek: Aluminum.

Built colossus, oracle, GL, hanging gardens, cop, newtons and Hoover in the capital, and ToE elsewhere. Might have built annother wonder somewhere along the line as well. The keys would be to get GL, colossus, newtons, cop, and ToE so we could keep up in tech, and do some self research later if we have a late GA for techs like medicine and sanitation. This will keep you up or close till the modern age. After that, its hell lol and you better have good spies.

Edit: We could allways include Rome in the civs. This would about guarantee them next to us with 6 civs and with their build culture never attitude, would almost guarantee one flip. Ideal civs for this would be persia and the ottos I'm thinking (I used the greeks in my game). You definately want scientific for the free tech and cheap libraries/unis, then its a toss up between Religious (cheap happyness instant revolutions), Industrious (fast workers are REALLY useful in this setup), And commerical (need all the commerce we can get).

Cool, the thirst for fresh blood is quite evident here and in other recent threads. RBP7 Defiant Chinese Nationalists is a definite. I mentioned this one in the DSG idea thread to see if any RBP5'ers who played as Japan want a piece of the action.

In that thread I also mention the One Built City (OBC) idea, a nice one Todd - do you realize that if me and/or CB are in that one you can count on capture being a key way of getting new cities?
:hammer:

That thread also highlights the LK series for 1.14 people (come on Firaxis, get our Euro-buddies up to speed, puleeze?!) and some ideas tossed out by Arathorn for LOTR5.

Charis

Heh, yeah, I KNOW how this bunch would get their 5 suburbs :). I did get 2 burbs that way myself, initiating a pile on the aztecs who had chosen unwisely by setteling so that they disbanded a lux and an iron colony, and paoched my saltpeter. :p. I needed that iron since i didn't have any at the capital or any of my flips.

It is sometimes a good idea to wait till you can see a good # of resources before you chose the last city, though something can be said for geting them right away and building the fp.

The actual idea for this came from an OCC game where i turned down this one city trying to flip to me SEVEN times including an every 2nd or 3rd turn run of 4. I got thinking wth cant I take a city that wants to flip to me that bad, and the idea was born.

This was the biggest smack-down on diety I've ever seen, so I thought
it would be instructive to have an 'executive summary' of the game
and why it went so well. (I usually withhold this type of epilogue
for games that went South, to figure out what went wrong)

- Opening location and build were nice. Scout-W-W-Granary-Settler
- Fate: Early settler from a goody hut was huge, but we did take nice
advantage of it, making a scout, worker, spear, then chariots
- This together with CB's emphasis on a settler factory from out
capital led to an *extremely* good and rapid expansion in peace
- We kept our focus, sticking with settlers and chariots, and holding
off on infrastructure. This was the ONLY way to win an early chariot
war on diety, something I thought might prove impossible
- We had the best communication/discussion in any SG I've been in,
with regards to not only strategic but tactical planning. Despite
frequent different views too, it was all very civil.
- We 'played our civ'. Not being military, we went with a fair number
of chariots produced before barracks. I would have thought this to
work poorly, but the retreat ability reduced losses.
- A *bold* quick strike on Carthage! Despite being surrounded by
defense 3 civs and having attack 1 units, we "went for it" by
being 'opportunistic'. Our first strike whacked a settler-warrior
pair, and we had other soft initial targets to hit.
- Good pillaging, making the AI yearn for peace, and knocking them
back in their growth curve.
- Setting off our foes Golden Age on the LAST turn of our war, to
see it languish building workers and with unproductive tiles. Brilliant!
- Excellent trading, making the most of brokering opportunities throughout
We had not only early parity near end of Ancient Era, but up on several
- Immediately after completion of our first war we had a great focused
infrastructure push to not get far behind, and to fuel upgrading
- Fate: Rome attacks Carthage, weakening both in a bloody stalemate!
- That infra push by Charis was brief, as CB went 'Carpe Diem' and
declared war again on Carthage. This grew our territory, gained more
cities in peace as well as conquest, and got our horse style point
- Fate: England was shaping up as superpower, but got dogpiled by AI!
- We got in an early Republic, the ideal govt for our situation (yay Todd)
- *Immediately* after Carthage peace, while our troops are strong, while
Rome is distracted in a war to the west, and *before* they hook up iron,
we start our third war, and it was exceeding effective
- Fate: Vikings declared war on Spain
- Good oscillation on the Roman war, taking peace when he had the key
cities we wanted and getting Invention too.
- And again, hammering Carthage into oblivion, expanding yet more
- Once again, as we turn right around and wipe Rome off the map
- In these two wars we actually managed to push infrastructure without
skipping a beat, relying mostly on upgraded Knights for our offense
and making huge progress on courthouses and economy even during war
This also netted us free tech and the Heroic Epic
- Our players display versatility. Warmongering Cartouche has a great
infra reign with harbors, libs, univs, temple, and trading
- This sets us up for war with Spain. True oscillation here...
Spain was gassed from war with Vikings, so timming was great.
- Fate: Sweet timing on tech, Econ showing up 1 turn from prebuild ending
- Thanks to the Epic and the Spanish war, another leader, and a wonder
- Todd set up a nice worker factory, which would keep our production primo
- We get Smiths, Bachs, aim for more and wonder if this is in fact diety?
4 Middle Age wonders (3 from scratch!), tech parity and +gpt from trade!
- Not only do we have parity, but the constant world wars have slowed the
pace so much that we envision domination even before tanks!
- If that's not enough, we get Mil Tradition, win with Sipahi, and upgrade
our huge Knight army with our strong economy, and go into overdrive with GA
- Reagan, fresh to the warmongery scene, recognizes a superb opportunity
for war vs the Vikings and we maul them. He sees us reach the Industrial
age and get Steam Power for free, further increasing production and income
- So enticing is the taste of blood, Reagan lashes out at Abe, kicking him
off our continent with what appears to be a mere flick of the wrist
- We're so bloodthirsty the only holding back the next war is waiting 7 turns
for a deal to expire, then England is the next victim. Ridgelake prosecutes
the war very well, and gains us Sun Tzu.
- Charis rolls over England with amazing speed, and thinking we'll need more
Saps then we have, gets Industrialization and doubles our shield output
- CB has a more accurate take on France's strength, or lack-thereof, and
his willingness to trade a few cities, losing some weak ones to gain
others, ends up draining France quickly and scores a domination win
many turns before anyone thought possible!

NOTE!!! Every single 'Fate' item listed was not 'pure' luck, but
in fact was in no small part due to our wise actions!?
- Settler from hut came from making the most of our MOW variant,
where we could use scouts
- Rome declaring on Carthage came about because we weakened Carthage,
AND because we were too strong to go after. Rome had nowhere to
expand and had to pick on someone
- The Englang dogpile happened because we sought an alliance, otherwise
it could have been England swallowing France.
- The Viking war on Spain seems to have been precipitated by a lack
of cash, when we withheld a requested deal from them. Plus Spain was
weak because they got sucked into the war vs England.
- We capitalized on Econ showing up because we had double prebuilds
going on, and did very well with wonders

Look at the final histogram - there was just NO LET DOWN in the
exponential growth curve in either score or power. This game was
partly intended as a 'gentle' introduction to the power of limited
by frequent wars, in combination with good buidling, and I think
it met that objective in spades! And to think we used only mounted
units, no defenders and no artillery, in all our campaigns!?
Thanks again to all the players, it was one of my most enjoyable games
(much needed, btw, after RBP2 and RBP5 :p )

:hammer:
Charis

PS Ridgelake, Reagan, I'm not sure if you've seen the RBP7 start,
hop in if interested or let me know if you're passing. Tnx.

Actually, we got FIVE Middle age wonders, and 4 from scratch. Handbuilt Cop, Bachs, Magellans, and Newtons, and rushed Smith's with a leader.

This was a great game that showed how when things go good, it's great!

We were able to exchange ideas and have everyone play terrific while pursuing their passion.

I was happy that a few even got their best score to date on this game. That says alot about how well it played out, for this group of deity players. :hammer:

Top Bottom