Real History Vs. Percieved History

Ah. Dunno. Might've just cut him open again.

And then there was the Roman emperor who, after capture, was used a footstool and after death got stuffed for display...

Mate, as much as I'm loathe to disagree with someone who's proven themselves so switched on (both in-game and in general discussion), I don't think I'd go so far as to call trenches ineffective.

German trench systems, which were far more established in the 1914-18 war than the Entente powers' I think were considerably effective against bombardment. The only thing preventing the Entente from building similarly effective trench systems was that they had to eject the Germans, whereas the Germans merely had to hold ground, thus developing fully effective trench systems was seen as a bad thing...

That may be quite true. (I came across the reference to artillery kills in a documentary about the Allied side of WW I; there was no mention of the German trench system, so I apologize for generalizing in such a way.)

I don't dispute that it came as a surprise (technically speaking, as they weren't expecting an attack at that particular point in time) but that it was unprovoked.

To my understanding, they had intercepted transmissions and broken the Japanese civil code that indicated that an attack would come soon, but they had not broken the military code, so the US did not know where the attack would be. Military minds at the time thought Manila or the Phillipines in general were a more likely target, not Pearl Harbor--it was perceived as just too far away.

Roosevelt was one of those leaders who just didn't trust fascists or communists, but also wouldn't be the instigator of the war--I guess that made him more "justified".

Top Bottom