1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Real Strategy (AI) 2.0

Making AI better. One bit at a time.

1. Sofi

Sofi Chieftain

Hmm Okay Would have been cool of firaxis to let some trusted modders have access to them but oh well looks like it can't be fixed then.
    I personally like that with your mod the AI focuses on a specific VC. And I mean I LOVE that improvement. It doesn't hover over victory types like it did before.
    And one more question sprung to mind, Does that mean that the AI can do Domination victories now? I mean like capture the capitals of every civ and since it is focused on VCs now if its focus is DOM it should practically capture the ones necessary for its victory condition, I.e. the capitals. I mean it can capture more but prioritize the capitals for its victory condition. That would be a great AI improvement and I really hope modders can do something about it.

2. Infixo

Infixo Deity

3. Sofi

Sofi Chieftain

2 capitals is great, even focusing on DOM victory is awesome. I just hope that the ai doesn't waste all of its time and try to brute force through all cities. Awesome mod I hope you've got more in store for us and thanks for answering my questions.

4. KyivanRusCivPlease

KyivanRusCivPlease Prince

Has anybody here tried playing Emperor difficulty with this mod? Does this difficulty level feel more challenging with the mod?

Another question: is this mod compatible with Jam's Difficulty Mod?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  5. KyivanRusCivPlease

Have you already implemented this?

6. Infixo

Infixo Deity

No, there is no specific late-game behavior in the mod.
    If you see in the source code or posts a reference to "anti-strategies", it means the changes to support switching-off victory conditions. I.e. if a specific victory has been disabled, then an "anti-strategy" is triggered to lower the chances of picking up that victory type.

KyivanRusCivPlease likes this.
  7. Borgheshia

Borgheshia Chieftain

Hi ! Thank your very much for your work and dedication. I'm looking forward to try it, but for me, the incompatibility with Better_Balanced_Game is a no go.

1)Can you be more precise about this modification? Let say i will change the lines of Real_Strategy, what file should i change ?
    2)I'm not sure to understand your last sentence :
    The problem is only concerning the modification on Japan Civ ?
    Is there any other line that i'll need to change ? (I'm using the last version of BBG : c3.10.6)

Thank you again for your time !

8. Sofi

Sofi Chieftain

Speaking of, you said you were working on some kind of threat system in which the AI tells if it's going to get a war by seeing of other people denounce it or put troops outside of its borders and it will react by building troops for defense. Did you implement this already?

9. Infixo

Infixo Deity

No. The mod is from September 2019 and since then there were no new releases.

10. Borgheshia

Borgheshia Chieftain

OK i finally understood your indications. But i also had to comment out the line 535-537 from RealStrategy_Leaders.sql

-- 2019-04-04 start bias
    --INSERT OR REPLACE INTO StartBiasTerrains (CivilizationType, TerrainType, Tier) VALUES
    --('CIVILIZATION_JAPAN', 'TERRAIN_COAST', 5);

Can you explain a bit what how this update was affecting the game and why did you change the terrain coast from 2 to 5 ?

11. KyivanRusCivPlease

Ok, I just wanted to share quickly my impressions about a game with this mod.
    In short: it was quite challenging!
    I played for Domination Victory as the Ottomans at Immortal with this mod and "No AI Start Advantage" (AI players get no extra starting units, and no free tech/civic-boosts) enabled. After that game, I feel they go well with each other. Settings: Quick Game Speed, Seven Seas small map, Disaster Intensity 4. I chose Korea, Alexander, China, Persia and Aztecs as opponents. Well, Korea was heading towards Science Victory, so I felt I only could stop it by eliminating it from the game militarily. At the end, when I needed a few turns to conquer the last capital - of Persia, my only former ally, I was ready to lose the game after the World Congress voting, because Persia was at 18/20 DVP. But I narrowly escaped the loss, as Persia only guessed one vote combo (+1 DVP) but lost the Diplomatic Victory Vote (-3 DVP). I also noticed that you have to be careful not to accidentally lose to Religious Victory by wiping out civs (at the end Aztecs only needed to convert one civ to win). At the end I won by conquest.

I guess I won because I was a bit lucky and the Ottomans are a powerful civ, plus Domination Victory might be easier compared to Science and Cultural Victories, as @Infixo pointed out.
    So - nice work @Infixo!

Infixo likes this.
  12. Casworon

Casworon Prince

It's now sadly looking like the DLL is never going to come. So your Lua approach is the most effective method we are going to have to modify AI behaviour.

I was wondering if you had any plans for this mod going forward, or if you feel that you have done all you can with the Lua method

13. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Infixo updated Real Strategy (AI) with a new update entry:

Version 1.6 Start biases on/off

Read the rest of this update entry...

SeelingCat likes this.
  14. Infixo

Infixo Deity

I don't have any specific plans because they will heavily depend on what changes Firaxis will introduce into the game. There will be balance changes, for sure - so I will have to adjust the mod accordingly. I don't expect any deep changes to the AI - they would have mentioned it already, and there was not a single word about AI anywehere. Maybe some fixes or minor tweaks. My biggest hopes are with the game modes - it is possible that while implementing them Firaxis may open up to modders some new functionalities that perhaps could be used to improve AI. But these are really big ifs.

15. the_big_iron

the_big_iron Chieftain

What best difficulty level for this mod? I heard that some other AI improve mods (sadly they are no longer available or updated) works best on prince difficulty.

16. Casworon

Casworon Prince

Thanks for the mod btw, anything that improves the AI's performance is a must. I've seen lots of people saying the AI is too peaceful. Though tbh with how appalling the base AI is at warfare perhaps this lack of aggression is one of the many reasons they are doing much better :lol:. But just too spitball some idea's.

The only idea I could think of to bring back some aggression with the way you have explained it is to have a strategy script that is only used by the 'warmonger civs' that has a chance to lock them into 'super war mode' upon an era change. Where during this era they do nothing but spam military units. This script having zero chance of activating for the next two eras so they can catch up afterwards. Ideally this activating when they are in a golden age. I feel this would somewhat match player behavior where maximizing your war gains during a golden age is the best strategy due to reduced loyalty issues.

I have zero idea if this is possible or not with current modding access though.

This would allow their military might to get higher than the defense script of the other civs allows i'm guessing, and cause them to declare war. Maybe capturing some cities because of the overwhelming military force.

Alternatively is it possible to lock certain leaders to focus only on certain victory conditions? It would be a bit of a band-aid. But what if the warmonger civs only focused on domination victory and ignored the others? It might weaken their performance but might provide more interesting games

17. FloodPlain

FloodPlain Chieftain

I recently acquired Civ6 from the Epic store along with this mod, (Civ has a regrettable reputation when it comes to ai). I've just about finished my first proper game and I have noticed something which may be a bug.

The ai for some reason has large groups of great artists and other great people just hanging around, I kill them by the dozens in some of my conquests. Is this normal? Why is this happening?

Apart from map 'scripts' which I haven't used yet, I am not using any other mods.

18. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

It happens, specially with Russia who gets a lot of great people but they have nowhere to place their great works (since they dont build enough of the relevant districts and their buildings).

And you can´t kill them, if you attack them they are teleported back to nearest city.

19. FloodPlain

FloodPlain Chieftain

Oh so this is an issue with the base game?

20. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Yes, there is an issue with one of the nodes in the behavior tree that governs them that results exactly in the situation you described.