Realism Invictus

The current SVN version will be the final major version of RI as 3.5, whenever it is released.

Great job as usual Walter!
In my latest 3.5 game I've found out that AI is dealing pretty much ok with revolutions (game now is even more fun and challenging :thumbsup:). Also discovered somwhere some beautiful new units around and other nice and interesting changes compared to 3.4. Hope 3.5 is ready to be lunched to avoid the loading time... :) just kidding

thanks again for your effort and FANTASTIC mod!!!!

Hello guys,

I'm trying this mod and I want to say, even only played a few turns, I'm liking it a lot

However I'm having some issues with the terrain textures sometimes it appears to be black lines along the terrain..

https://i.ibb.co/s2H49p6/Terrain-Issue.png

Has anyone experienced this before? is there any way to fix it?

Hello guys,

I'm trying this mod and I want to say, even only played a few turns, I'm liking it a lot

However I'm having some issues with the terrain textures sometimes it appears to be black lines along the terrain..

Has anyone experienced this before? is there any way to fix it?

I have such case on very big maps

The stadium gives +1 Health according to the civilopedia, and the Christian temple gives -1 health, I'm sure the dozen or so people competing in the stadium may gain some benefit, but the thousands watching?
As far as the temple, i'm sure an atheist would think it unhealthy going to a temple, but we are talking about history and the christian temples had a long history of healing.
The flavor reason for the Christian Temple unhealthiness is the Mass gathering, where you have an entire town or neighborhood meeting up in the same building every week (which isn't a thing with most other religions). Gameplay-wise, it fits in with the production bonus, since most industrial buildings cause unhealthiness in-game. Historically... I hate to break it to you, but Medieval Europe wasn't the best place to go to avoid disease. I don't know if the Black Death and the Plague of Justinian were just better-recorded than similar ones in medieval India and China, but either way, "Christian Healing" didn't do much to stop some of the worst pandemics in human history. Is it a stereotype? Maybe. But so is Islam's "auto-spread" feature and Judaism's unique unit. I have no problem if the RI team wants to leave all three right where they are.

The flavor reason for the Christian Temple unhealthiness is the Mass gathering, where you have an entire town or neighborhood meeting up in the same building every week (which isn't a thing with most other religions). Gameplay-wise, it fits in with the production bonus, since most industrial buildings cause unhealthiness in-game. Historically... I hate to break it to you, but Medieval Europe wasn't the best place to go to avoid disease. I don't know if the Black Death and the Plague of Justinian were just better-recorded than similar ones in medieval India and China, but either way, "Christian Healing" didn't do much to stop some of the worst pandemics in human history. Is it a stereotype? Maybe. But so is Islam's "auto-spread" feature and Judaism's unique unit. I have no problem if the RI team wants to leave all three right where they are.

I have no problem if they wish to leave it as is either, as I can easily change it myself, I just wanted to know their reasoning behind it, and your example of temple mass gathering reducing health does not support a mass gathering at a stadium creating health.

I have no problem if they wish to leave it as is either, as I can easily change it myself, I just wanted to know their reasoning behind it, and your example of temple mass gathering reducing health does not support a mass gathering at a stadium creating health.
Haven't loaded the SVN version yet, but if by "stadium" you mean the modern-era replacement for the "arena," then the health bonus probably relates to disaster relief (think the New Orleans Superdome during Katrina).This reflects medieval-vs-modern capacities to handle large gatherings, but aside from that, religion in the mod is simply set up so that there are maluses to balance out any strong bonuses. This is gameplay-based. If you don't like that Christianity has negative gameplay effects to balance significant positives, like every other religion except Zoroastrianism and Solar Cult, then you'll want to get a more DEUS VULT game. Alternately, see if you can handle a health malus in exchange for Crusaders, solid religion wonders, and a production bonus - or just zero everything out, NT-style, and play that way.

Last edited:
Hey Walter
My son and I started a multiplayer game on Civ 6 yesterday, and after things got a bit busy, we started getting desyncs, My son was hosting (Win7) and I was Client (Win10), it was my system that was desyncing.
So today I created a partition on my system and setup a dual boot Win10/Win7, Installed Civ 6 onto the Win 7 install and played for a marathon 9 hours, a continuation of the multiplayer game we started yesterday, which was desyncing every 20 minutes, and it did not desync once when running Windows 7.
As soon as we are done with this campaign we are going to give Invictus another go, as it seems our problem may have been windows 10, will let you know the results.

I look at civ buildings as symbols. Factory represent whole industrial district, Market is commercial district, Stadium represents whole sport infrastructure. Not one object but many objects many sports, from small gym, to local team stadium. In that case it make sens that +1 health comes from physical exercises of population.

So, to let everyone know, I'm probably going to do 3.5 release in roughly a couple of months from now, if it comes down to doing it alone (and it feels like it does). The basic reason for that is that Imperator is coming out in less than a month, and since it shares the engine and overall detail level with EU4, I foresee there'll be a lot of flavor art stuff I can borrow for RI, which I really want to do before I release.

Kinda weird how native city names get renamed to actual European names if conquered though, while seeing kostantinyye in central Asia

Well, that's a different system at work, the dynamic city naming and leader-specific city names. Has nothing to do with any particular map.

There may be an issue with the collateral damage, I'm being limited in my bombardment on enemy cities and stacks, I can shell them till some of their units are a few points below max with a 30% max collateral damage, while other units remain untouched, then the bombard square goes grey and my remaining artillery or Aircraft sit on their hands, all the while there are untouched units in the enemy stack, and the damage that I have done is way below the 30%.
However the AI on the other hand are decimating my units, affecting all the units in my stacks, and reducing 20 strength units down to 6 strength, while having a max 40% collateral damage, and no promotions, playing on noble if that makes any difference.

I thought that particular issue was already addressed in SVN. If it isn't, I can unfortunately say that it stays - I have no real way of fixing it myself.

Anyway, I have two minor bugs from the latest stable/packaged release. Apologies if they've already been addressed elsewhere.

1 - In a recent game, Turkic workers were unable to build windmills. I thought perhaps there was a missing tech but this lasted up through Future Tech.
2 - In the last five or so random map generations, sheep have never spawned anywhere on the huge map. All other resources, including the RI specific ones, seem fine but I cant get any sheep. Very odd.

1 - Timar is supposed to be a flavor windmill replacement. Might reconsider that though.
2 - I never found the code that controls the actual placement of resources, so its inner working are a mystery to me.

Just in case it's easy to fit, I encountered a very small bug in svn5218 : At the first encounter with Stalin on a large random RI_planet_generator map his diplomatic text didn't show up but the variable. All worked fine with him in later messages.

Will check that one out.

In my latest 3.5 game I've found out that AI is dealing pretty much ok with revolutions (game now is even more fun and challenging :thumbsup:).

It isn't dealing with revolutions because it basically is completely unaware they exist. I just did the next best thing, and tied the stuff that avoids revolutions to stuff that one just does naturally when playing well. I can't modify AI, so AI will not really be aware of the revolutions and hence will not actually be "dealing" with them at any point in time.

Hello guys,

No idea what could be causing that. You're not the first one to report it, but I've never been able to reproduce this issue at my side, so its causes are unknown.

Hey Walter
My son and I started a multiplayer game on Civ 6 yesterday, and after things got a bit busy, we started getting desyncs, My son was hosting (Win7) and I was Client (Win10), it was my system that was desyncing.
So today I created a partition on my system and setup a dual boot Win10/Win7, Installed Civ 6 onto the Win 7 install and played for a marathon 9 hours, a continuation of the multiplayer game we started yesterday, which was desyncing every 20 minutes, and it did not desync once when running Windows 7.
As soon as we are done with this campaign we are going to give Invictus another go, as it seems our problem may have been windows 10, will let you know the results.

Great to hear you had some progress! I am really interested to hear if it solves your RI issues.

I look at civ buildings as symbols. Factory represent whole industrial district, Market is commercial district, Stadium represents whole sport infrastructure. Not one object but many objects many sports, from small gym, to local team stadium. In that case it make sens that +1 health comes from physical exercises of population.

Yeah, that's the general outlook I have towards buildings. Building a "stadium" is a general investment in sports and healthy lifestyle infrastructure. It's still nowhere near a hospital of course when it comes to health.

As for Christian temples, the basic concept is indeed tied to mass gatherings - and mass gatherings in earlier eras were actually much more dangerous than nowadays, since the crowd would be actively "trading" a myriad of parasitic insects, very effectively spreading certain diseases. One could also look at this unhealth not in a medical sense, but rather as an indirect indication of the church appropriating certain amounts of agricultural produce as tithes - as "unhealth" in Civ 4 terms translates to "less food". But yeah, generally speaking Christianity just needed to have some drawback from a gameplay point of view, and none other came to mind.

I agree about revolutions after advanced to later eras, But I found it challenging to hold your empire toghether when play on higher difficulties (monarch or above ) U can see how empires grows big and brakes apart as in real life, Not all of them though, so that makes the game unpredictable and fun IMO

So, to let everyone know, I'm probably going to do 3.5 release in roughly a couple of months from now, if it comes down to doing it alone (and it feels like it does). The basic reason for that is that Imperator is coming out in less than a month, and since it shares the engine and overall detail level with EU4, I foresee there'll be a lot of flavor art stuff I can borrow for RI, which I really want to do before I release.

:hug:

Huge thanks to the team and Walter for spending countless hours on making this mod:worship:
Great mod all around! Most civ-like experience I had in years ( only PAE mod can compete in quality )

Feels like playing the civ4 how it should be.
===
There is only one item that bothers me: I feel like unit upgrade costs on 0.5x speed are ridiculously high. 170g to upgrade ONE archer from 3:strength: to 4:strength: (I've seen somewhere on the forum that the price is tied to unit cost:hammers: so can understand how it probably is only balanced for realistic game speed)

Q: Is it possible to adjust this myself? If so, I would much appreciate a bit guidance here:egypt:

Last edited:
Hi! I've recently downloaded RI and decided to give it a test run with no wars option enabled just to see what it's all about.
And just about now I've run into this: the AI just keeps constantly sending tons of spies into my cities and I can't do anything about it. I'm playing Islands map, so he has to use boats to send in the spies and the boats just freely enter my borders like it's their own backyard (no, there are no open border treatis signed between me and any of the AI players). I've tried building privateers, but even heavy ones get useless pretty quickly as time progresses, and the privateers themselves are limited in numbers. I've also put a spy in the most problematic city, but that really did not help a lot.
Any advice on how I could cope with that? Really pains me to see those ships strolling along my coasts with hordes of spies aboard.

Last edited:
@Rosie McCattail

Send your own spies to AI cities and chose mission "Counterespionage mission", it will help. AI can send spies because some ships can enter rival territory without open border/war. Caravel is one of them as i recall. So use ship of that class to transport your own spies to enemy cities.

There is only one item that bothers me: I feel like unit upgrade costs on 0.5x speed are ridiculously high. 170g to upgrade ONE archer from 3:strength: to 4:strength: (I've seen somewhere on the forum that the price is tied to unit cost:hammers: so can understand how it probably is only balanced for realistic game speed)

o always play on 0,5 speed (emperor) and that cost is not a big problem. Disband outdated units and build new ones if you must. I only upgrade units with lots of xp.

I've played nearly a full game now on the huge world map. im nearly into the modern era and wanted to provide some more feedback on the revolutions mod. i found it worked really well up until the renaissance, however during later eras when many civs begin to rapidly expand the game became quite chaotic. ive seen 3 of the top civs implode (one completely, the entire civ turned to barbs). Now a top civ collapsing isnt necessarily a bad thing, however i think the revolutions could be toned down a bit during later eras. i also think the larger the map you use the more chaotic the revolutions will be. i dont think it would be nearly as dramatic on small to medium maps in later area.

also, when a very large civ spanning across the entire map collapses it only produces 1 new civ, which doesnt really make sense. if you have several remote areas rebelling at once they should theoretically form separate civs in each area. ive also seen strange things happen, such as a dead civ will come back in areas where it never existed previously. id suggest not having all cities that are rioting form a new civ when a rebellion occurs, perhaps make this more random? so sometimes only a fraction of the rioting cities will actually participate in the rebellion and if rioting continues they can join the new civ later on, or form another new civ? i also think when a new civ is formed that it should only be made up of adjacent cities only and not be able to span across the whole map to unconnected territories.

hh

Which dont help with discerning features on the map all the easily. There once was an option to not install the blue marble graphics set which remedied the issue a bit iirc.

Hi Walter
Just an update on my Sons and I Multiplayer campaign, it seems now that I have degraded to Windows 7 the random desyncs have vanished, I'm almost certain that windows 10 was the culprit, as it was in Civ 6.
We are still getting desyncs, but they are not random, my son is hosting the game, and anytime he captures a city, the game will desync, however if I capture a city, we suffer no desync.

We did not suffer the "Host capturing a city desync" before when I was running Windows 10, but then the games never lasted long enough for us to capture a city, so it was probably a problem then as well.

Top Bottom