Realism Invictus

Hi, great to finally see, experience and enjoy this new overhaul! Thanks a lot!

Instantly started to play the Crusaders scenario as the Byzantines. What are the reasons to break them up into a master and several vasalls? Weakening them? Because there are so many civs my laptop is getting reeeeaaally slow.

We break the Byzantines to:
- represent the fact that the local lords were very strong. The Basileus should take care of them.
- weakened the Empire. We first test the Empire with no vassals: it was close to be impossible to defeat it.

Playing Byzance is a real challenge: close to map center, surrounded by aggressive neighbors, defender of faith followed only by backward civs, etc...

Good luck ! ;)

Excellent Christmas present!! :goodjob:

Thanks a lot, downloading and trying :)

Merry Christmas to all of you :xmascheers:

From France, to all the civ community and RI fans,

JOYEUX NOËL ! (no need to translate)

:)

It's aliiiiiiiiiiveeeee!!!!!!!!!!! It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana::banana::banana::thanx::thanx::thanx:

Minor, minor issue, I mean real minor. There's a spelling error on Admiral Tegetthoff Great Person screen. His name is spelled right on top, but in the little bio instead of Tegetthoff it says Tegeeehoff.

If you need ideas for scenarios here are a couple:

-Mesoamerica: I liked Civ3's Mesoamerica scenario, even though it was very basic. I have heard the one included with Beyond the Sword is lackluster as well. I'd be curious to see what the Total Realism team could do with such a scenario. What I imagine would be you would play as several different civilizations/kingdoms in ancient mexico, such as the Zapotecs, Huastecs, Totanacs and Mayans. In addition this scenerio could feature the rise and fall of the great Mexican empires. At the beginning of the game the greatest power would be Teohuacan, which would have influence extending to the Mayan territories. Eventually this empire would be hit by an event which greatly increases unrest, and unless great steps are taken(if the player is controlling the empire), the empire will fall. In short time a new power will rise in the form of the Toltecs, who will aggressively expand and conquer shortly after they emerge. Later on another event will be triggered, and a massive wave of immigrants from the north will settle in and nearby Toltec territory. As before unless this situation is handled with great care the Toltec Empire will collapse, and there would be another period where no empire controls the heart of Mexico until one of the tribes which settled from the North builds a capital nearby the old fallen Toltec capital, forming the beginnings of the Aztec Empire.

Finally, at the very end of this scenario, an event would be triggered, and small pox would break out threw out Mesoamerica. Afew years after this horrible event the Spanish would arrive(lead by Cortez) and quickly ally themselves with most of the tribes which oppose the Aztecs.

-American expansion: Basically the United States in the early 17th century. This scenario would allow you to play as America and conquer the natives with either treachery or military power, or for an interesting twist you could play as one of a number of major Native American powers, such as the Iroquois, the Lakota or the Cherokee, and build your own empire to survive the onslaught of the white man.

-Russian Revolution: Play as Czarist Russia as you attempt to hold onto power amid the growing power of the Communist Revolutionaries, or play as the Bolsheviks and successfully take over Russia, creating the Soviet Union. Another possible faction would be the democratic revolutionaries, who aim to defeat the Bolsheviks and establish a Democratic Russia.

-The Ancient Near East: Play as the Ancient Egyptians, Babylonians, Israel, Assyria, the Hittites or Nubians as you battle rivals, build monuments and increase your territory. Just as with history, new powers would rise later in the game, such as the Sea People or the Persians. In some cases these new powers would supplant or destroy empires(Sea People destroyed the Hittites, while the coming of the Persians effectively ended the Assyrian Empire). Since alternate history is possible, perhaps if the Assyrians for example, could have fended the Persian immigrants long enough, they could absorb the newcomers into their empire. There would be exclusive religions in this scenerio, such as Kemetism or "Mesopatamism"(religion of ancient Babylon as well as Assyria).

I hope these ideas help.

On another note its great the new version is out and ready for Christmas! I look forward to trying it out. Thankyou for continuing to create this great mod.

First of all - many thanks for a GREAT mod/expansion. Today I plan to ran a LAN multiplayer session (3 players) - any suggestions on the settings I should define for a LAN game so that no OOS would appear ? Are the OOSes problem at all in Realism Invictus (like in RoM, for instance) ?

First of all - many thanks for a GREAT mod/expansion. Today I plan to ran a LAN multiplayer session (3 players) - any suggestions on the settings I should define for a LAN game so that no OOS would appear ? Are the OOSes problem at all in Realism Invictus (like in RoM, for instance) ?

I can't say we have tested it much in multiplayer, but in my 2-player direct IP MP games, OOS would be a very rare issue, perhaps once in 200-300 turns. We have taken a lot of steps to prevent OOS during the development. And no, there aren't any specific settings that would increase/decrease OOS occurence.

Sword_Of_Geddon - thanks for suggestions. We have quite a few ideas of our own too. :)

Hi Sword_Of_Geddon,

Thanks for the ideas.

As Walter said, we also have some ideas. :p

Usually, I build the carcass the scenario and with all the Team and some testers, we all make fine adjustments (particulary Walter). It may change but right now I'm more prone to build a "Renaissance" scenario, such as "The ages of Sails" or "New World". In one world, Walter and I thought to create a real beyond the sword scenario.

It would only start after some weeks of feedbacks of RI 3.1.

thanks for suggestions. We have quite a few ideas of our own too. :)

My guesses: Roman Expansion, Age of Discovery, Napoleonic Era, World War 2. These are the classic scenario themes. I'm curious if you will also try out new motives.
Well, the crusade scenario is superb. As in your mod, your concern for details are admirable so I believe any new scenario will receive the necessary attention.

One question, though, concerning the crusader scenario: Is it only in my game that there's so few war and fighting? Even though the AI is building up large armies they seldom go out and fight the civs they are already at war with. Or even start wars. Maybe there are some more warlike civs like the Russian principalities which conquered the Cumans early on but apart from a German-French and a Iberian Peninsula war there was not much change. Are you planning to script some events like 4th crusade or do you intend to keep it as open as possible?

P.S. One minor issue though: Could you somehow rename Christianity in the mod to "Catholicism"? It seems odd that there is "Christianity" on the one hand and "Orthodoxy" on the other. Wouldn't please any Metropolitan bishop.

We played 3.01 with my friend many times with very rare OOS. In this new version i noticed many "red blobs" either for buildings in cities or on improvements, but they tend to disappear later so i am not sure what is causing them.

My guesses: Roman Expansion, Age of Discovery, Napoleonic Era, World War 2. These are the classic scenario themes. I'm curious if you will also try out new motives.
Well, the crusade scenario is superb. As in your mod, your concern for details are admirable so I believe any new scenario will receive the necessary attention.

Actually we're trying to steer clear of traditional and overdone scenario setups. Some of our ideas revolve around the Wars of Diadochi and Europe post Charlemagne's death.

One question, though, concerning the crusader scenario: Is it only in my game that there's so few war and fighting? Even though the AI is building up large armies they seldom go out and fight the civs they are already at war with. Or even start wars. Maybe there are some more warlike civs like the Russian principalities which conquered the Cumans early on but apart from a German-French and a Iberian Peninsula war there was not much change. Are you planning to script some events like 4th crusade or do you intend to keep it as open as possible?

We tried to mold the relations and balance of power in such a way that historical outcomes (more or less) would come naturally without outside encouragement. For instance, the Fourth Crusade tended to happen in about 70% of hands-off games, without any events and stuff. AIs were relatively agreessive too - but a powerful human player might be causing them reservations...

P.S. One minor issue though: Could you somehow rename Christianity in the mod to "Catholicism"? It seems odd that there is "Christianity" on the one hand and "Orthodoxy" on the other. Wouldn't please any Metropolitan bishop.

As soon as we implement ways to found Orthodoxy in normal game. For now, renaming Christianity to Catholicism would exclude all other forms of Christianity from everywhere outside the Crusades scenario.

maybe in normal game Catholicism, Protestantism, and Orthodoxy?

Actually, an idea I had was to have a random event that makes a splinter religion
kinda like:
"Large groups of people are following a certain derivative of [State Religion] called [Splinter name]
Options:
Suppress them!!!!! (costs pop, +unhappy x turns, no splinter religion forms)
Accept them but do not agree (splinter religion forms, x% of your cities with state religion have splinter spread to them)
Embrace the new ideology wholeheartedly! (Splinter religion forms, all cities in your empire with previous state religion also have splinter spread to them, convert to the new religion)"

I actually had that idea ages ago..
I'm sure you guys can find a splinter for all the religions...

please any comments on the random event for religion-splitting? :please:

Top Bottom