Realism Invictus

In all of these cases, you are easiest off just copying an existing entry and modifying it. Most of the tags in CIV4BuildingInfos.xml should be self-explanatory or easy to understand when you look at what they do in-game.
I have to admit that at first glance it looks like something I should be able to figure out. We'll see - otherwise I'll probably write and ask for help.....

But first I have to finish the game I'm playing - it's probably going to take another 4-5-6 weeks or so. If it doesn't start crashing much too much before that.

It's a good question, and one I don't have a good answer to either. If ICBMs simply counted as lots of military strength, we'd get AIs getting overly cocky with their ability to wage conventional wars when just sitting on a pile of nukes (and not necessarily even wanting to use them).
How about introducing this little mechanic?
- for every player we track how many times someone used a nuclear weapon
- while AI evaluates if it wants to declare war against someone:
a) if both players never used NW, everything works as usual​
b) if both players used NW at least once (or one of them did, and the other one has ICBMs built), everything works as usual​
c) if player A never used NW (and does not have ICBMs), but player B did, we prevent player A from declaring war (or at least we give some major penalty, I didn't check how it is exactly evaluated there)​
This way we can prevent the situation that happened in my game, where a neighbor who wasn't a nuclear power declared hopeless war on me, despite the fact I used at least 20 ICBMs at this point at someone else.

Now the second thing. While I understand why we disabled global warming (not in the timeline of this mod and I pretty much agree), nuclear winter is completely possible after using enough ICBMs. As a mechanic, it would be a pretty good deterrent for people like me who like to play as long as possible because I would care much more about effects of using nuclear weapon if I know it would have major global consequences. I'm not sure how it would look like yet, but I can imagine something like decreasing farm productivity (temporary or permanent), expanding ice, or something like that.

Last edited:
- for every player we track how many times someone used a nuclear weapon
- while AI evaluates if it wants to declare war against someone:
a) if both players never used NW, everything works as usual​
b) if both players used NW at least once, everything works as usual​
c) if player A never used NW, but player B did, we prevent player A from declaring war (or at least we give some major penalty, I didn't check how it is exactly evaluated there)​
This way we can prevent the situation that happened in my game, where a neighbor who wasn't a nuclear power declared hopeless war on me, despite the fact I used at least 20 ICBMs at this point at someone else.

There's a similar mechanic in Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn, I coded it myself in its dll. Before starting a nuclear war, AI checks how many nukes, how many cities and how many Bomb Shelters the opponent has compared to itself. I know it's kind of cheating because really AI shouldn't know for sure how many Bomb Shelters I have, unless it uses spies, but at least it prevents dumb nuclear wars.

God I didn't expect anything from civ7 but that atrocity. Egyptian becoming Songhai, Rome becoming French, who the hell invents these cockamamie ideas? Some Californian game-development courses graduate of 2020? That pixar-style graphics and caricature leaders. Ugh.
I don't like Realism Invictus take on that one either, Egypt becoming Arabian without actual Arab culture in game (sometimes) or Rome morphing inevitably into modern Italy. But that stuff is at least justified by territorial principle and actual history. Plus its a free mod, not a multi-million payed AAA game.
Instead of concentrating on believable and intersting alt history and branching cultures and mechanics they jerk around abstract numbers and mathematics. Huge disrespect. Even map-painting simulators from prdx studos at least try for last 20 years to convey believable historical process. These wackos never try.

Aside from the qualifier "little" raising my internal pressure quite a bit, that or something similar looks like a reasonable take. I never touched nukes and their related stuff at all, TBH. The way I see it, nukes require more depth actually, as currently they fail to play the role they did IRL, that is, of a deterrent. It might even make sense to look at something like this, provided AI handles it well: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/bts-m-a-d-nukes-mod.15229/
God I didn't expect anything from civ7 but that atrocity. Egyptian becoming Songhai, Rome becoming French, who the hell invents these cockamamie ideas? Some Californian game-development courses graduate of 2020? That pixar-style graphics and caricature leaders. Ugh.
I don't like Realism Invictus take on that one either, Egypt becoming Arabian without actual Arab culture in game (sometimes) or Rome morphing inevitably into modern Italy. But that stuff is at least justified by territorial principle and actual history. Plus its a free mod, not a multi-million payed AAA game.
Instead of concentrating on believable and intersting alt history and branching cultures and mechanics they jerk around abstract numbers and mathematics. Huge disrespect. Even map-painting simulators from prdx studos at least try for last 20 years to convey believable historical process. These wackos never try.
The concept itself is fine; it just needs to be handled with more attention to detail. If I were building a new Civ title from the ground up, I would very much go with the evolving civ concept - but what makes the current attempts so ridiculous is that they lost sight of what a "Civilization" actually is, radically narrowing it down. I'd let people pick a civilization in its original broad sense, say "Germanic" or "Slavic", and then, as the ages pass, pick up traits from various cultures within that civilization. Say, your "Nilotic" or even "North African" civilization in the ancient eras would likely go with lots of Kemetic (ancient Egyptian) elements but could, for instance, snag some Medjay archers from nearby Nubia or dip into Garamantes for light cavalry and/or foggaras. Do you want your Slavic civ in early modern era go with Polish "Golden Liberty" (say, boosting happiness and/or buffing your nobility somehow) and "Winged Hussars" (excellent direct-hitting charge cavalry), or with Russian "Siberian Frontier" (focusing on expansion) and "Streltsy" (being able to field mass gunpowder units) or maybe with Ukrainian "Sich" (with a focus on self-government and military preparedness) and "Zaporizhian Cossacks" (mobile light cavalry) or a mix-and-match of those influences to tailor to the particular situation in that game? Instead of ditching their whole identity Humankind- or CivVII-style, the identity of a broad civ could evolve and accumulate over time, with various influences.
I don't like Realism Invictus take on that one either, Egypt becoming Arabian without actual Arab culture in game (sometimes) or Rome morphing inevitably into modern Italy.
I would love your take on what Roman civ would look like if you stripped away all the foreign influences. No Celtic or Hispanic equipment for legions, that's for sure, such as those big scutum shields, or the gladius swords, or the Celtic-style helmets. Let's get rid of all the Greek stuff too, while we're at it, all those foreign Gods and architectural styles... Oh, and of course, Etruscans should also go, with their aqueducts and their alphabet and their togas and their gladiatorial combat. I very sincerely fail to picture what a "pure" Rome would look like without all those nasty foreign influences... Perhaps you can help me out?

Aside from the qualifier "little" raising my internal pressure quite a bit, that or something similar looks like a reasonable take. I never touched nukes and their related stuff at all, TBH. The way I see it, nukes require more depth actually, as currently they fail to play the role they did IRL, that is, of a deterrent. It might even make sense to look at something like this, provided AI handles it well: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/bts-m-a-d-nukes-mod.15229/

This was included in Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn too, I adapted it myself, but it was a bit buggy. I've never been able to make it work 100% properly: the launch mechanic worked fine but the nuke manager map never displayed all the infos correctly. Maybe a merging problem on my side but I'm not sure. Anyway I removed some of the nukes included because they were overpowered (like, turning the target plot into ocean, carving a big hole in the ground: I woule leave that out from RI). I also made it civic-dependant instead of building-dependant, but maybe in RI leaving it building-dependant would be more appropriate since civics look good as they are to me.
And I'm not sure how this would work for multiplayer games as the mod is supposed to automatically launch your pre-targeted nukes when you're hit by a nuke. This definitely doesn't work in simultanous turns multiplayer.
But I agree it's a cool feature that I miss from RAND.

I should add "relatively little" as this is what I intended, sorry. I work as a programmer so I understand well how painful some little things can be. Something like M.A.D would probably be ideal, although when checking their thread I see there were some issues with AI handling it, so it's probably a bit risky to try integrate it here.

M.A.D mod comp:

Earlier today I had barbarian city spawn and convert to a civ within 5 turns, or however long there is between autosaves. When I loaded the save before last, the barbarian city wasn't there. I couldn't see it's border, which would have been visible to me. On the next autosave was the introduction dialogue of the new civ. Is this intentional behavior? For a fledgling, 1-population city to become a full civ in such a short span of time?

Interesting discussion above regarding nukes!

Now the second thing. While I understand why we disabled global warming (not in the timeline of this mod and I pretty much agree), nuclear winter is completely possible after using enough ICBMs. As a mechanic, it would be a pretty good deterrent for people like me who like to play as long as possible because I would care much more about effects of using nuclear weapon if I know it would have major global consequences. I'm not sure how it would look like yet, but I can imagine something like decreasing farm productivity (temporary or permanent), expanding ice, or something like that.

You could just trigger the default vanilla mechanic once they are used, maybe? Perhaps that would be too extreme.

--

A handful of questions from recent play:

- Are cottages supposed to be unable to be built on plains hills, only grassland ones? In a new game, I found that I could not build a cottage atop a hill which had a hot spring on it, so I thought that maybe there was something about this feature which prevents that, but did not see that documented in Pedia and also recalled building cottages on hot spring hills before. The local city in question had another hot spring hill within the BFC, so I sent the worker there and was able to build a cottage there, the only difference being that the latter was grassland and the former was plains. If something doesn't sound right here, I can drop the save.

- This is strictly a flavor/conceptual question, and applies to the base game as well, but it occasionally piques my curiosity: why is metal casting a distinct technology from bronze working when the latter already entails the smelting of an alloy? Even the icon for the technology (which I've chosen for my avatar here) depicts what is technically metal casting. Of course, the way that the bronze would be worked would still be hammered out and would be less brittle than casted metal as the finished product, but isn't the concept which the game represents as an individual technology essentially the same?

- Because the historical bronze age ended due to a tin shortage and the alloy itself is typically stronger than iron anyway, is it only for gameplay balance reasons that you can't use bronze for swordsmen as you can with cataphracts? That just seems a little inconsistent on paper.

- Why is guilds a prerequisite for paper when they are both tier one medieval techs?

Was it their capital? Perhaps it was indeed a new city that was "pulled in" when a bigger city settled.
Pretty sure it was. I ended up playing off of the autosave before they formed and moving a worker to give vision of what would be the city tile, so I can't confirm it, unfortunately.

Lost my Combat 6, 20:strength: Iron Pagoda Cavalry well before anyone else even had knights to a pot shot from a skirmisher having 1.2% odds... Can I put in a vote for the change where overwhelming combat odds get rounded into being actually certain? While that will create a new fence line at 95% or whatever number is chosen, the player then still knows that it is there and that beyond it, the spearman will never defeat the tank.

I even guarded the unit with powerful defenders in hopes that they would absorb whatever ridiculous cannon fodder the enemy threw at me, but in spite of Protect Valuable Units being turned on, my "basically guaranteed to win" general ended up defending, and still dying. The principle of risk being integral to a strategy game is something I appreciate and don't want to see go away (especially in combat), but when it's so infinitesimal that an expected outcome will not occur in spite of any input from the player or exogenous variable impacting the scenario, it feels much more arbitrary than strategic (even when you get the winning roll), and hence both more frustrating when you lose, and less rewarding when you win.

The concept itself is fine; it just needs to be handled with more attention to detail. If I were building a new Civ title from the ground up, I would very much go with the evolving civ concept - but what makes the current attempts so ridiculous is that they lost sight of what a "Civilization" actually is, radically narrowing it down. I'd let people pick a civilization in its original broad sense, say "Germanic" or "Slavic", and then, as the ages pass, pick up traits from various cultures within that civilization. Say, your "Nilotic" or even "North African" civilization in the ancient eras would likely go with lots of Kemetic (ancient Egyptian) elements but could, for instance, snag some Medjay archers from nearby Nubia or dip into Garamantes for light cavalry and/or foggaras. Do you want your Slavic civ in early modern era go with Polish "Golden Liberty" (say, boosting happiness and/or buffing your nobility somehow) and "Winged Hussars" (excellent direct-hitting charge cavalry), or with Russian "Siberian Frontier" (focusing on expansion) and "Streltsy" (being able to field mass gunpowder units) or maybe with Ukrainian "Sich" (with a focus on self-government and military preparedness) and "Zaporizhian Cossacks" (mobile light cavalry) or a mix-and-match of those influences to tailor to the particular situation in that game? Instead of ditching their whole identity Humankind- or CivVII-style, the identity of a broad civ could evolve and accumulate over time, with various influences.
I generally agree with you. In an ideal world with imaginary ideal civ-like game I'd prefer same idea, civilization in a broader more academic sense that over the course of history branches out, fractures, gets overwhelmed with other cultures influence via military or peaceful means and becomes either historical societies and countries or alt-history "what-if" cultures. So we basically start with a handful of ancient civilizations like "Celtic", "Slavic", "Steppe nomads", "Italic", "Turkic" and over the course of game based on external factors and players decisions they can become new societies. For example Italic-barbarian like ancient people can become say Romans or Etruscans in ancient period and so on. I personally would love to see say Sea Peoples civ (dead civilization in our reality), with Sherden as probably the most notable society, them being remanants of pre-Indo-European migration indigenous European population. Or Hittites, who are quite mysterious in their own way, with indo-european language and warfare style (chariot warfare) but absolutely different in their physical appearance. Anyway, yes, fluid civilizations that can end up being historical societies or not so much.
I would love your take on what Roman civ would look like if you stripped away all the foreign influences. No Celtic or Hispanic equipment for legions, that's for sure, such as those big scutum shields, or the gladius swords, or the Celtic-style helmets. Let's get rid of all the Greek stuff too, while we're at it, all those foreign Gods and architectural styles... Oh, and of course, Etruscans should also go, with their aqueducts and their alphabet and their togas and their gladiatorial combat. I very sincerely fail to picture what a "pure" Rome would look like without all those nasty foreign influences... Perhaps you can help me out?
Being cheeky are you? You're well aware that everybody influenced everybody and we don't have anything "pure" in that regard, we'd end up with only Jaguar warrior as a single distinct thing, although Aztecs probably had their fashion choices influenced by Mayans and other Mesoamericans.
My point is that Roman civilization shouldn't end up inevitably as a 20 century Italy. It should be one of a few possible ways that civ could develop. Of course its impossible to implement in a mod and nobody in their right mind wouldn't demand anything form you.
Nevertheless we have some stereotypical feel of what looks "roman" or "russian" or "usa-american" even though it a product of cross-culture exchange anyways.
In an ideal game that stuff could be treated in a way of mixing cultural characteristics when changes happen in a game. Say alt-history roman empire exists but neighboring Arab civ develops islam, its religion and culture triumphantly spreads onto roman lands in a peaceful manner (Arab civ working toward cultural victory for example) , that should reflect in gradual change of roman architecture being replaced with islamic one. and it eventually becomes Roman Sultanate, if population changes to arabic then not only architecture but people phenotype changes. So in such game its hard to imagine why suddenly in modern Rome from that imaginary game session we end up with Mussolini stuff.
On a mechanics level it could be implemented in a way that units are not set in stone but rather constructed from a pool of equipment based on technology, resources, chosen doctrines and dominating culture aesthetics and CLIMATE (because god I its painful to see naked Zulus jumping around arctic regions). Insignia and banners easily could reflect that also, Islamic Rome has crescents, Christian - crosses and so on.

So I would like to see a giant sandbox where building blocks are actual elements of human history and some hypothetical ones, where cultures changes gradually for objective reasons like conquest or cultural dominance. And where player is not pigeon-holed into starting as Egypt and ending up as Arab or Songhai without any historical logic behind that change.

- Are cottages supposed to be unable to be built on plains hills, only grassland ones? In a new game, I found that I could not build a cottage atop a hill which had a hot spring on it, so I thought that maybe there was something about this feature which prevents that
I guess it is the reason. The cottage removes the feature and I think I do remember, that certain features like Oasis, Swaps and HotSpring have limitations. I can't find a "flag" showing that placing an improvement can't be done - not directly. But.... they all have this line: <bNoCity>1</bNoCity> . This could be the "reason" why.

- Are cottages supposed to be unable to be built on plains hills, only grassland ones? In a new game, I found that I could not build a cottage atop a hill which had a hot spring on it, so I thought that maybe there was something about this feature which prevents that, but did not see that documented in Pedia and also recalled building cottages on hot spring hills before. The local city in question had another hot spring hill within the BFC, so I sent the worker there and was able to build a cottage there, the only difference being that the latter was grassland and the former was plains. If something doesn't sound right here, I can drop the save.
Same as farms, they require at least 1:food: on a tile.
- This is strictly a flavor/conceptual question, and applies to the base game as well, but it occasionally piques my curiosity: why is metal casting a distinct technology from bronze working when the latter already entails the smelting of an alloy? Even the icon for the technology (which I've chosen for my avatar here) depicts what is technically metal casting. Of course, the way that the bronze would be worked would still be hammered out and would be less brittle than casted metal as the finished product, but isn't the concept which the game represents as an individual technology essentially the same?
It's probably not the specific tech I'd have created from the get-go to fill that spot, but it does have some merit as the development of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investment_casting specifically. It seems to have been first developed during late bronze age.
- Because the historical bronze age ended due to a tin shortage and the alloy itself is typically stronger than iron anyway, is it only for gameplay balance reasons that you can't use bronze for swordsmen as you can with cataphracts? That just seems a little inconsistent on paper.
While gameplay is primary, my headcanon is that swordsmen, specifically, are the first units that get a lot of chainmail body armour. I am not sure if it is technically impossible to make chainmail out of bronze, but I never saw any examples thereof. More generally speaking, it is symptomatic of how, while bronze body armour was definitely a thing, due to the costs of the material and its brittleness (meaning fewer chances at proper repair and maintenance after it's been crafted), widespread use of metal body armour with a significant amount of body coverage was an Iron Age thing. To me, a swordsman represents the advent of relatively cheap and effective metal-based personal protection equipment.
- Why is guilds a prerequisite for paper when they are both tier one medieval techs?
Because they used not to be. Thanks for pointing out, I'll remove the prerequisite for consistency.
Pretty sure it was. I ended up playing off of the autosave before they formed and moving a worker to give vision of what would be the city tile, so I can't confirm it, unfortunately.
After checking the code, I cannot rule a very very unlikely roll on the part of that particular city too. Population affects the settle chance quadratically, but there is some very small probability of a settle to happen at pop 1 (something close to 1 in 1000).
Being cheeky are you? You're well aware that everybody influenced everybody and we don't have anything "pure" in that regard, we'd end up with only Jaguar warrior as a single distinct thing, although Aztecs probably had their fashion choices influenced by Mayans and other Mesoamericans.
My point is that Roman civilization shouldn't end up inevitably as a 20 century Italy. It should be one of a few possible ways that civ could develop. Of course its impossible to implement in a mod and nobody in their right mind wouldn't demand anything form you.
The main reason for my cheekiness is the specific example you chose. I feel no nation has made more effort to actively look like its ancient counterpart than XIX-XX century Italy did with Rome. I won't even be going for specific examples, as it would be pointing out the obvious. Visually, Italy is as close to a modern version of some ancient civ as one could realistically wish for IRL, and if one got that in fiction, it would probably feel like "lazy writing" ("oh come on, 2000 years later and they still use the same symbols and build a colosseum but square instead of round?").
Nevertheless we have some stereotypical feel of what looks "roman" or "russian" or "usa-american" even though it a product of cross-culture exchange anyways.
Good, another great example invoked by you. Does the stereotypical feel of what looks "Russian" really have any continuity in your head? Russia is a great example of a civ that underwent a radical aesthetic shift in its history that's very comparable to Arab-style fashions in Egypt that you complained about. Yet you don't have an inner problem with Russia suddenly starting to look like a generic European country from XVIII century onwards in terms of architecture, dress styles etc (even court language shifting to French). One can't really take an isolated early medieval Russia or France or Scandinavia and "extrapolate" all the later developments from there in a linear fashion. Imagine a Viking being shown pictures of Caroleans and their Russian opponents from the Great Northern War (and maybe some from the belligerents of the contemporary Spanish Succession War while we're at it) and being forced to point out which, in his opinion, are his descendants. :lol:

Aesthetic shifts happen with or without external conquest - to me it is absolutely not implausible that Mamluk-style fashion would organically develop in a Egypt that somehow retained its independence. While early Egypt did maintain a remarkable stylistic consistency throughout Bronze age with short exceptions such as the Amarna period (uniquely so in the world it feels to me, I recall no other example where I wouldn't be able to tell apart two artefacts separated by a millennium of time), that identity had undergone seismic changes even before the Arab conquest, and while those changes were also brought about by external conquerors, they weren't simply direct imports of foreign culture. To me, it's the opposite - an Egypt that bases its aesthetic identity on Bronze-Age Egypt in the XVII century would look implausible.

And to add to it, the "theme park" approach feels bland for another reason - while there is unique content in history to draw from, a hypothetical "pure" Egypt not having existed in our history leaves us with two options for, say, Industrial-era content: either do it in the most generic way with only slight aesthetic rethemes of standard factories, ironclads and riflemen, or go off on a complete tangent and make up something that at that point has no basis in real history (because there is nothing in real history to draw from for a "pure Egypt" at that point and hasn't been for millennia). Real-life mamluks, Mohammed Ali and Khedivate of Egypt offer some content to fill a slot that would otherwise remain filled by something generic, or wildly fictional, or most likely both.
In an ideal game that stuff could be treated in a way of mixing cultural characteristics when changes happen in a game. Say alt-history roman empire exists but neighboring Arab civ develops islam, its religion and culture triumphantly spreads onto roman lands in a peaceful manner (Arab civ working toward cultural victory for example) , that should reflect in gradual change of roman architecture being replaced with islamic one. and it eventually becomes Roman Sultanate, if population changes to arabic then not only architecture but people phenotype changes. So in such game its hard to imagine why suddenly in modern Rome from that imaginary game session we end up with Mussolini stuff.
On a mechanics level it could be implemented in a way that units are not set in stone but rather constructed from a pool of equipment based on technology, resources, chosen doctrines and dominating culture aesthetics and CLIMATE (because god I its painful to see naked Zulus jumping around arctic regions). Insignia and banners easily could reflect that also, Islamic Rome has crescents, Christian - crosses and so on.
That does sound nice and would be great to have, but we have to work with what we have. :) Theoretically (very theoretically, don't get your hopes up!), an underlying mechanic for an equipment system already exists even in vanilla Civ 4, as promotions can change the looks of units. Zulus could get a nice fur coat if they got "Arctic Combat I" promo (and it wouldn't be hard to give all their units from a city past a certain latitude such a promo), but it would require a tremendous amount of work as that would have to be done for all unit models.
So I would like to see a giant sandbox where building blocks are actual elements of human history and some hypothetical ones, where cultures changes gradually for objective reasons like conquest or cultural dominance. And where player is not pigeon-holed into starting as Egypt and ending up as Arab or Songhai without any historical logic behind that change.
You're describing Humankind basically - at least, that's what it tries to be. Unfortunately, when done sloppily, you end up with a total loss of the civ's identity.

To sum up what I'm trying to say, I agree that my chosen approach is not ideal, but I haven't seen a better approach that works in practice yet. And if I'm being cheeky it's only because you've been presenting me with easy targets. There are some decisions in RI that would have been much harder to defend. :mischief:

Can you tell what was the ratio of first strikes between the attacker and the defender?

The combat log doesn't show first strike chances, but it was a lone skirmisher attacking on its own, so it shouldn't have had any additional first strikes, and I was defending with an explorer and a late horse archer as well, which should have given me Recon Aid I and hence a first strike advantage. The log shows it being hit 4 times in a row though, so maybe the Finnish skirmisher had several Drill promotions. Either way, aren't first strikes already factored into the combat odds accurately?

Attachments

• Civ4BeyondSword 2024-09-01 11-18-42-74.bmp
    5.9 MB · Views: 9
The combat log doesn't show first strike chances, but it was a lone skirmisher attacking on its own, so it shouldn't have had any additional first strikes, and I was defending with an explorer and a late horse archer as well, which should have given me Recon Aid I and hence a first strike advantage. The log shows it being hit 4 times in a row though, so maybe the Finnish skirmisher had several Drill promotions. Either way, aren't first strikes already factored into the combat odds accurately?
You had 1-2 extra first strikes from recon aid 2 and a skirmisher had indeed some drill upgrades since it hit first (or not: you could have rolled 1 FS and a skirmisher rolled 1 from the tradition so he just randomly hit first). These kinds of combats sometimes happen so to avoid such outcomes I stack first strikes. If you had flanking 3 and only 3 extra first strikes (for example from recon 3 and siege 2) computer could attack with infinite skirmishers and still lose all combats (since 34*3=102).

Last edited:
Top Bottom