Really? This has just gotten sad...

I agree with the general notion that taste is subjective. But there is plenty of criticism of these graphics that is just plain wrong - at least in how it is expressed. And cartoony vs. realistic is not an accurate summary of the choices available to designers and artists.

Even calling them cartoony requires a particular definition and not necessarily what many people would use the word "cartoony" for. (Cartoon and cartoony are not the same label).

These graphics do a ton of things objectively better than many realistic graphics could.

Yes, and while I understand that there are plenty of civ vets that dislike the graphical shift, I can't help but feel that the vast majority of the vocal "This is not what civ is about! It looks like a mobile game!" crowd started with civ5.

I think most vets don't really care.

I know I don't - then again, I thought civ5 looked like garbage. Which is an equally unpopular opinion. But the point is, I'd play civ6 even if it looked exactly like civ5 without a single graphical change whatsoever. Because the content looks awesome.
I agree that Civ V is pretty mediocre graphically...I remember liking it when it first came out but the graphics have not aged well and Civ VI blows it out of the water. Trying to go back and play Civ V after watching so many Civ VI LPs is arduous for a number of reasons, the graphic style being chief among them.

Stylized graphics can be timeless while those that go for hyper realism quickly become outdated as hardware improves.

While I still dislike the cartoon-ish choice of art, I know that at this phase it is impossible to change course. Just understand that they chose this path for the look of the game. I for one would be more worried on pacing and how the mechanics play into the game than how it looks at this point...

To be honest I don't find aesthetic of C VI to be all that cartoony.

Still I can understand if someone does not like it. As is with almost everything in this world opinions will be divided. Some arguments against the style are... Lets say I don't consider them deserving to be taken seriously. Even in one of more recent threads about it I saw someone complaining that Firaxis made it cartoony to attract people because it will look more simple/more like a mobile game. Which for me sounds more like "oh no, Firaxis wants those filthy plebes to play my Civ game".

But that's just me probably.

man...people realy got hung up on the realistic style of civ5. Now I'm even happier they are going cartoony full animation.

In the end, that's what mods are for, don't get why the need for it to be a DLC.

The saddest part of this is that someone is using change.org for game graphics!! I think change.org is best used for, you know, actual change in society or the world. But whatev!

I guess I'm lucky because I really like the art. Remember when we all thought N64 and Playstation graphics were amazing and so realistic? Now the "realistic" titles look like <snip> It's always the stylized graphics that age well, because they are designed to work best with whatever hardware is projecting them.

Also I might be wrong, but wouldn't the team of artists he is demanding create a whole new look for the game already be on a new project? They did their job - they made the art. Keeping them on staff for a $20 DLC that a fraction of consumers would buy would be the biggest waste of money ever. No game company keeps 100% development staff on as support, that would be ludicrous.

Moderator Action: Please do not use profanity
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Initial screenshots, I had a knee-jerk reaction. Mostly because I felt the graphics looked simplified, wondered if the gameplay would be simplified, and if the game was designed around the goal of being ported to mobile platforms. Now that I know more about the game, have actually seen the graphic quality in videos etc, those initial (again knee-jerk) concerns went away. I have no issues with the art style now. Except Cleopatra and her pushup bra and Kim Kardashian lips, but I'll get over that too, as she's just part of the exaggerated art style as well.

Dont get it why people are so mad . have people not see the battle animations they look awesome.

Honestly I prefer the more cartoony style for Civ, cartoony styles seem to work for any turn-based strategy, don't know why.

https://www.change.org/p/firaxis-dl...source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

Come on guys! Redoing ALL THE ARTWORK for $20?!

Why are the people obsessed with realism the most unrealistic?
:hmm:

I mean its not that bad of an idea kinda.

But I mean just wait for a mod to do it. Or like make a kickstarter for the mod if its a lot of graphics to make .... though I'm pretty sure some one on CFC will make a realistic graphic mod for the hefty price of an amenity.

After not liking it at first, I've come to peace with the new Art style for it's obvious benefit of differentiating the various districts etc with the various colours. However, to have to see the famous Parthenon with a bright pink roof still doesn't sit well with me. :dubious:

Civ5 looked good but not overly distinctive. Civ6 looks good and distinctive. Also, the level of detail seems really immense.

Also, about the guy and his crowd, boredom with a weak and narrow mind can go this far. People such as him are not happy unless they display their superior intellect, or high standards by relentlessly bashing something, regardless of how insignificant results they produce and how stupid they look.

Sad part is that these people are the variant of the 'anti-x' and 'x-phobic' and various cult crowds, that build up camps against 'chem trails', declare global warming a government scheme, and express violence based on skin tone.

Last edited:
Hmm. So they're asking for 500 measly signatures, assuming that's enough to achieve a shadow of the slightest thing, and in 5+ months they've barely gathered ~330.

Looks like the art style isn't such a big deal, after all.

I mean its not that bad of an idea kinda.

But I mean just wait for a mod to do it. Or like make a kickstarter for the mod if its a lot of graphics to make .... though I'm pretty sure some one on CFC will make a realistic graphic mod for the hefty price of an amenity.
I'm not sure how trigger-happy 2k's legal department is, but crowdfunding mods is a definite legal grey area. You're not technically charging for the mod, but it's just close enough that any company that is at all inclined to be litigious will be serving you a cease & desist pretty swiftly.

Worth repeating from the other thread:

Civ VI's art style is gorgeous.

By the way, there was a video about the art style debate of Civ VI:

I am in my late 20s and I enjoy video games with bright, colourful, and "cartoony" graphics.

The debate about the art style reminds me greatly about the Zelda series: compare Wind Waker graphics (which is cel-shaded) with Twilight Princess graphics (which looks realistic). Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild are both in the middle of the two (though closer to Wind Waker). Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask have some of the most advanced graphics (for the N64).

In fact, art direction alone is one of the largest base breakers among the Zelda fandom.

Dark Cloud 2 is one of the earliest video games that use anime-stye cel-shading and still looks pretty today, despite it being made in 2002! The 2016 re-release improves the cel-shaded look of the game.

Last edited:
I would have prefered realistic and beautiful graphics of course since im an adult but it looks OK as it is. My kids will love it, I can survive it.

I would have prefered realistic and beautiful graphics of course since im an adult but it looks OK as it is. My kids will love it, I can survive it.
Actually you would have preferred realistic graphics because that's your preference; being an adult has nothing to do with it. That you don't find the graphics beautiful is also subjective; I and many others have already noted just how beautiful we find the graphics and art style.

I do not like one thing in civ V graphics in comparison to civ IV. The terrain in IV is much more "alive" and in CiV more static - far less animations make it look boring for me.

Top Bottom