Really? This has just gotten sad...

CiV more static

It is impossible to beat the foxes play on fur though. As for the rest, they are both quite still life pictures, 4 at least had animated mills. Working people and machines would have improved both a lot.

I would have prefered realistic and beautiful graphics of course since im an adult but it looks OK as it is. My kids will love it, I can survive it.

:hammer2:Saying that being an adult has anything to do with it is really reaching man.

For the thousandth time: The idea that cartooning, or stylization, or whatever you want to call it, is "for children" is a cultural construct at best, and it's really not even that because it's far from universal in the culture.

It doesn't require additional skill to make "realistic grafix bro!" for games. In fact, people I've spoken to who have done 3D animation claim it can easily be the opposite, depending on the style of cartooning. It certainly doesn't require additional skill or discernment to appreciate "realixtix grafx." A preference for producing non-stylized graphics, or a preference for viewing them is perfectly fine; that's not at issue. What's at issue is that so very, very, very few manage to state the preference as a preference, rather than an explicit or implicit insult.

I personally don't see the direct relation between the game seriousness and having a "cartoon" look.

That look is simply a tool that allows the devs to display data in a more clear fashion. You could use the same look to display info about really transcendent and serious matters like a flyer about aids.
Right. I don't think the devs aim was to have a "cartoon" look, I think it's just a side-effect of having clear and defined graphics with a very colorful aesthetic.

Seriously, an online petition? We're not voting for real-world wars here, or whether to leave the EU, etc. it's a sodding game!
People posting ranty posts on their particular bug-bear of the moment generally amuses, but starting an online petition is another level I've not yet come across.
Number of signatures is 333 now so guess that's ~300 players we won't miss.

Players should be asking for DLCs to be completely removed, not increasing them.

That petition is sad, yes.

Players should be asking for DLCs to be completely removed, not increasing them.
To be honest I like DLC. Personally I hope there'll be more DLC (next to expansions) for Civ 6. It's a great way to keep reviving the game over a longer period of time.
I really liked it in Civ 5 and was disappointed there weren't any more after the first expansion. DLC and expansions aren't mutually exclusive.

There is certainly a limit though, and a serious conflict of interest which could compromise design goals of the base product to accommodate. Look at The Sims 4, which rather than advancing the series, devolved to better accommodate a platform on which to sell countless meaningless micro-transactions to the largest and most vulnerable market possible.

So far I think 2k is okay in this regard. I question the value of a lot of the map packs for CiV, but I've also never felt pressured to buy one, or been made to feel like the game was incomplete without. I'm also disappointed by the DLC to XCom2, but that's my fault for buying into the Digital Deluxe.

I do hope they don't stray too far from the massive expansion model in favour of DLC. Getting those big expansions like Enemy Within, and Brave New World really do a lot to enrich the overall experience and longevity of the game.

I don't see a problem with them releasing this as a graphics pack DLC of some kind so long as there is a market for it. The dev team needs job security and DLC is a steady stream of income. At the end of the day I think it really just comes down to the integrity of the publisher and developers to create good products, rather than predatory or exploitative ones.

Last edited:
These petitioners must all be children who were introduced to the series with Civ V, because Civ as a series has never taken itself seriously.

I am not a petitioner but you can't consider them children just because they have a different opinion from you.

I would say that it is quite childish to think that way instead :)

I get this deja-vu from when the Civ IV graphics were revealed. Same uproar about "cartoony" graphics.. Then when the Civ V pre release screenshots came out people complained that the graphics were bland and dull.

We need some real scientific polling to find out what the majority actually wants.

I am not a petitioner but you can't consider them children just because they have a different opinion from you.

I would say that it is quite childish to think that way instead :)
They're not childish because of their differing opinion, they're children because they must have only been introduced to the series recently with Civ V, which means they're likely to be fairly young. Every other iteration of civ has had plenty of elements of being comical or "cartoony".

I'm changing my stance on this. I'm refusing to play until they get live action video instead of graphics.

Spot on! For 50 notes or whatever it cost to pre-order I expect it to be ultra-realistic, I want real elephants and the actual pyramids in my back yard, not some shonky 3D computer model. :mad:

And real world consequences. When I drop a nuke, I want it on CNN within the hour. Otherwise it just ruins the immersion.

And real world consequences. When I drop a nuke, I want it on CNN within the hour. Otherwise it just ruins the immersion.
speaking of real world consequences, when you can choose a great person and decide to pass on them, if this gp happens to be a woman, you are immediately accused of sexism and fired from your job. Basically the game ends here because of the mass protests in your country and a live coverage on CNN.

speaking of real world consequences, when you can choose a great person and decide to pass on them, if this gp happens to be a woman, you are immediately accused of sexism and fired from your job. Basically the game ends here because of the mass protests in your country and a live coverage on CNN.

A female Great Person ? Did they exist ? :D

They're not childish because of their differing opinion, they're children because they must have only been introduced to the series recently with Civ V, which means they're likely to be fairly young. Every other iteration of civ has had plenty of elements of being comical or "cartoony".

Well, you assume they are young but maybe they are not.

Anyway, not an issue, just to say that I agree that a mod which reduce the cartoon style may have lot of downloads, or may not :)

I get this deja-vu from when the Civ IV graphics were revealed. Same uproar about "cartoony" graphics.. Then when the Civ V pre release screenshots came out people complained that the graphics were bland and dull.

We need some real scientific polling to find out what the majority actually wants.

Its very common. When a person criticizes something and has good rhetoric, it causes this social gravity well where now everyone else that likes the target work feels the need to appease that person, convince them of its merit.

This creates a relationship of critic and supplicant. Ever notice the most respected folk are the ones that enjoy the least?

Hence: what people want is to complain.

I think it's simply a case of "can't please everyone".

I can speak for myself in that I loved the design of the leaderscreens of civ5, however animation wise, they were very poor, and ended up being boring really fast, in the end I don't think they were worth all the effort that was put into them. The new ones focus on character animation, and very lively reactions (Victoria throwing a fit) that don't linger too much, I think they'll hold up much better than civ5's.

The majority of people don't really know what they want and may not even want what they say they want. I don't think such a poll would gather anything useful.

Top Bottom