Really? This has just gotten sad...

Actually, watching the let's play, the graphics have really grown on me. There is a lot of detail. The game actually looks pretty darn good.

These petitioners must all be children who were introduced to the series with Civ V, because Civ as a series has never taken itself seriously.

I personally don't see the direct relation between the game seriousness and having a "cartoon" look.

That look is simply a tool that allows the devs to display data in a more clear fashion. You could use the same look to display info about really transcendent and serious matters like a flyer about aids.

Ah yes, Path of Mannequins.

PoE's gameplay is really complicated and, despite having played it some, I don't feel that I understand it well enough to critique it.

Graphically, though, it's absolutely hideous. It has that horrible "mannequin" look, replete with horrid stiff animations and just a general lifelessness. Diablo 3 has a sort of SNES-on-steroids feeling, very fluid and bombastic. Diablo 3 completely outclasses PoE if we're talking about graphics.

If your taste says that PoE looks better than Diablo 3 then, with all due respect, I take you as seriously as a redneck who prefers a McDouble to expensive sushi.
I'm not particularly attached to either, and have only played each for about 20 hours. I was just pointing it out as an example of how disgruntled people can do more than just complain and judge people on the internet, but also create valuable products and services to the benefit of all.

I'm not particularly attached to either, and have only played each for about 20 hours. I was just pointing it out as an example of how disgruntled people can do more than just complain and judge people on the internet, but also create valuable products and services to the benefit of all.

I don't want to do a detailed critique since I don't feel "qualified" to criticize PoE, but the gameplay is much more valid than the art. I liked the materia-style system and the sphere grid knockoff, and I loved the refilling potion thing. So I agree, PoE has real value. It just looks absolutely atrocious, like Dominions-series bad, to my eyes.

He might get the five hundred. It don't really mean anything. I doubt Firaxis will spend a dime making that kind of DLC

Having played games since the monochrome era, I've grown to be very tolerating of different art styles. I don't mind the new art style, but I understand that there are people who dislike it. I also understand that artwork is and will often be what makes or breaks a game for some people. If there's a way to have Civilization VI in a completely different art style, hey, why not?

So all is good and well if Firaxis takes it seriously and brings out a realism make-over for all the players. But I don't think I hate the current style enough to pay $20 to get a different "skin". Maybe up to $12.50? Or $13.50 at most, probably. I dunno...

Although I am not a huge fan of CIV VI graphics, I tend to agree with the topicstarter that such things are sad. And the most saddest thing is that instead of becoming a designer, applying for a job in Firaxis and then trying to design the graphics the "proper" way, there are people who prefer to create an online petition. We are a lot of people, take my 20 bucks and give me my new graphics.

lol

Somehow I suspect someone has missed how private companies work. When they sell several million units, it's not exactly feedback that something is wrong...500 people having a cry out of a playerbase which reaches into the millions, isn't exactly going to make much of an impression. :)

Especially when they ll buy anyway and whine afterward.

I was worried about the artstyle when it was first released cuz I feared it would indicate a game aimed at a more casual audience, but since the gameplay seems to be more complex than civ5 I'm now completely fine with the graphics

I am still very worried about the AI though

I was worried about the artstyle when it was first released cuz I feared it would indicate a game aimed at a more casual audience, but since the gameplay seems to be more complex than civ5 I'm now completely fine with the graphics

I am still very worried about the AI though
Maybe the AI isn't really bad, it just doesn't like being represented so cartoonishly?

It's like people only played CIV5 before? This graphics don't even look cartoony for me, they're just more stylized.

I remember when Civ IV was coming out - I really didn't like the look of the cartoony graphics, and thought Civ III was far superior.

Civ III was not superior. I never played it again after Civ IV came out, graphics preferences not withstanding. And it didn't take me too long to get used to the Civ IV graphics, either. If the game is good, I think people won't complain about this at all after release, and I think it is important to have distinctive graphics for each separate iteration of the series.

It's like people only played CIV5 before? This graphics don't even look cartoony for me, they're just more stylized.

To be quite honest, a lot of people probably do have Civ V as their first and only Civ experience. It's the best selling version by a considerable amount.

To be quite honest, a lot of people probably do have Civ V as their first and only Civ experience. It's the best selling version by a considerable amount.
While I much enjoyed the better looking Civ 5 graphics compared to those of Civ4 and Civ6, I don't think that it'll become a major issue for any of the players.

There might have been valid concerns/complaints when the graphics themselves were released (I was surprised to say the least), it should no longer be any issue to any players.

Yes, and while I understand that there are plenty of civ vets that dislike the graphical shift, I can't help but feel that the vast majority of the vocal "This is not what civ is about! It looks like a mobile game!" crowd started with civ5.

I think most vets don't really care.

I know I don't - then again, I thought civ5 looked like garbage. Which is an equally unpopular opinion. But the point is, I'd play civ6 even if it looked exactly like civ5 without a single graphical change whatsoever. Because the content looks awesome.

I think CiV was a huge improvement on cIV graphic wise, and I think cVI does a necessary change for visibility with the new gameplay mechanics. So don't really get the criticism.

Also: if the game is great, who cares about graphic style? And if the game sucks, how can different graphics save it?

Top Bottom