Recent Idiot moves you've made

That was just an insanely stupid Genghis AI. I can't stand that.

One that I make repeatedly is clicking "Yes, let's get this revolution started!" to change civics upon discovering a new tech, forgetting that there was another I wanted to change and had been holding off a few turns on.

In a recent game going for an AP Diplomacy win, I was trying to get on Elizabeth's good side so she'd vote for me. She'd dutifully spammed the religion to all her cities, so she had plenty of votes. Unfortunately, I thought it would be a grand idea to gift her Liberalism. The next turn, she switches to her favorite civic, Free Religion, and puts herself out of the picture.

One that I make repeatedly is clicking "Yes, let's get this revolution started!" to change civics upon discovering a new tech, forgetting that there was another I wanted to change and had been holding off a few turns on.
That is why I NEVER do that, I always click "lets see the big picture" as it gives me a good opportunity to make sure I didn't forget to change earlier as well such as running despotism or paganism after I build pyramids or Shwedagon Paya.
One of the stupidest things I have done: pulled most (including all my advanced troops) of my troops off my border with a good friend (who was a trustworthy AI and I was courting for a permanent alliance), who was far more advanced me as I had fought many wars, and spent all my gold upgrading my offensive stack in order to launch a sneak attack against a weak neighbour. Apparently he was my friend's vassal, and those tanks made my muskets look like the warrior who was the entire garrison in my capitol. I need to pay far more attention to my foreign adviser.

Another one I make regularly is, try to click on a unit and then give it move orders, unfortunately I miss when I click (or fail to click at all with my laptop) and I send my offensive stack to the rear, my transports full of marines to my ally, my workers to my enemy etc.... This happens fairly often, actually.

I beelined to Bronzeworking and made short work of the Chinese. Unfortunately the Mongols weren't far behind so I had an extended stalemate with them. Wanting to consolidate my Chinese possessions (playing Korea) I sued for peace, linked up some stone and marble, and started building my super-cultural/technological/wonder rich empire like any good builder would.

Unfortunately I forgot two things. That boats existed and so did Japan. It took 6 axemen landing on Seoul unopposed while most of my forces were arrayed at the border with Mongolia in case they decided to declare again.

Of course I remedied this with a reload to several turns earlier and built boats. I didn't much like the idea of losing my capitol. :)

-Switching to free market when all my trading partners are using mercantilism.
-Trying to build the pyramids on emperor without stone / ind leader with monty and genghis khan starting ~20 tiles away from me .
-Misclicking my great priest and lightbulbing polytheism
-Forgetting that I traded away my only marble and wondering why it takes so long to build the taj mahal
-Building the hanging gardens when all of my city's are at happy cap .

Those must have covered my last 2 games :/

Okay, so I'm playing as India and going for a cultural win, that means I have a pathetic military. I do, however, have my own continent. I also have tech parity at the age of sail. The other civs have rifles while I only have muskets, and I barely have one musketman per city, with a few archers and longbows scattered about. What was I thinking, you ask? Well, I had a crap load of caravels. The other civs have galleons at this point, and it takes 2 or 3 caravels to kill a galleon, but I have about 15 of them so they get the job done. I sink 3 of Washington's galleons and sue for peace. I sit back and start building up some more caravels, feeling all smug and superior. then I get the barbarian invasions random event (horse archers). They appear in an area of my empire where I have almost no troops. I que my muskets out of the city to chase them down, forgetting that they run faster than musketmen. They go around my musketmen and head to the now undefended city. They took two cities from me before I finally caught them and killed them. The damn buggers.

This isn't recent, but it ranks up there. Leaving two longbowmen to defend my capital, when grenadiers, cavalry and rifles were available. Then switching to Free Religion without considering the impact on diplomatic relations.

Formerly friendly Louis XIV -- who lived on a continent on the other side of the world, by the way -- went to cautious. Then 10 turns later or so, he declares war, and unloads two galleons of cavalry next to my coastal capital city. My nearest cavalry units are based on the borders with my continental neighbors...and are exactly 7 squares away from the capital, so they end up in the square ADJACENT to the capital. Louis takes my capital...and BURNS IT TO THE GROUND. I destroy his little invasion force the next turn, and send some ships to pillage some work boats and harass his navy, but let me tell you: six enemy cavalry and a few work boats are NOT a fair trade for losing your capital. To make matters worse, I didn't have the navy, and given the continental enemies I faced at home, it wasn't worth building one, so I eventually just accepted peace. It was the worst loss in a war I'd ever suffered in a game that I still went on to win (score-time victory, FWIW.)

It was the first time I'd ever seen the AI actually pull off a move that would have been worthy of a Human opponent....

another 'i never learn' incident. early war v nearest neighbour, i'm cleaning up enemy units/cities. i have one undefended city which naturally falls to one of the few remaining enemy units that has been bimbling around the map since the dawn of time. :wallbash:

Confused my worker and my scout which were on adjacent tiles--sending the scout off to mine a nearby hill and accidentally parking my worker right next to a hungry bear...

I save at the end of every turn, and if I do something like this, which is not a tactical error but just a mis-click, I will reload it. I got in the habit of saving at the end of every turn because of random crashes early in the release, but it comes in handy for this as well.

Most recent dumb move - not catastrophic or anything - was after I'd been sweeping up the residents of my continent, and I come to the last one that hasn't been eliminated, vassalized, or capitulated. I get all my troops ready for a lightning strike on all his cities at once - all three of them - and execute the attack. No problem rolling him over. I check to see if he'll capitulate, and he is refusing to talk. So I figure I'm going to have to take the war to his other cities, and I look at the military advisor to see if there's any ships nearby I can sink.

Then I notice he's got a substantial number of troops sitting almost clear across the continent. Oops! They were in a city he'd captured in an earlier war, and that I'd been eating away its culture borders and had so little left that I'd forgotten it was even there. So, even with railroads it took 3 turns for my forces to get over there. I had a few airplanes and a couple new units I could airlift in, so I was able to hit them and keep them from coming out... not that they would have anyway. But once that city got taken, they were willing to talk and capitulate.

What I love doing is sending a great merchant clear across the world, in a caravel, and everything, and hitting gift instead of trade mission. It's happened at least twice.

I've also had a couple of those upgrading-a-maceman-to-grenadier-leaving-me-with-about-20-gold things before.

I'm a little bit sad that I can't think of anything really major.

I have a habbit of accidentaly gifting major techs to civs that every is mad at. Then they get mad at me too.

Another dumb mistake, is telling my worker/settler to move from point A, to point B. Then forget that the design of the game is not smart enough to make the worker/settler stear away from the animal/barbarian who just popped in range.

I thought saving at the end of every turn increases the chance of a crash? I know for a fact that reloading often causes the game to crash.

My most idiotic move? Well, one time I sent a bunch of cavalry at some tanks...
Oh wait, that didn't happen to me at all...

My most idiotic move? Playing as Napoleon of the French.
I couldn't get either Hindu or Buddhism... ON SETTLER DIFFICULTY!!

I built the National Park in the same city as the Ironworks. Oops! Won't do that again! (removes access to coal, losing 50% production bonus.)
That's not so bad. Recently, I built a Coal Plant in my NP city.

And spent ten minutes figuring out why it didn't seem to work...

well, i made a dumb, dumb move today. i've been trying to win a non-financial civilization game on prince forever now. this time, i picked cyrus, because according to the boards he's just an amazing warmonger and i like to chariot rush to begin with so immortals rule for me. well. this game seemed to be going splendid, i had two civs 8 tiles away from my capital, and i had the time to build roads to the civs. i sent out 7 immortals to the charlamagne, and wouldn't you know it, i sent them to the wrong tile, so charlamagne had one extra turn to slave an extra archer. immortal rush phail. oh well...

Building up an empire with all of the same religion and theocracy and then switching to another religion that got spread in a new city for basically no reason. It took me a little while to realize why my longbowmen weren't getting garrison III anymore.:huh:

Also, accidentally infiltrating my own city with a great spy.

Accepting the nuke-non-proliferation treaty when all my cities had a nuke on the way wasn't such a good idea either looking back.

I accidently clicked the wrong button and gave a high production city to Mansu Musa.

Brilliant :)

Playing as Germany, near end game - only myself, Genghis and Mansa still in the running, and as usual Mansa's out teching both of us.

BUT, I have control of my own continent, the remaining continent being split 50/50 between the Mongols and Mansa.

Then Genghis attacks Mansa, (which was odd because they had been friends for ages.. and none of us were near to completeing the apollo program), he asks me to join in, I decline, don't want the war weariness mate.

I do want to help however to even up the odds so their war lasts longer, but don't want to gift Genghis oil... The answer? I sail six transports full of finest german panzers across the sea and gift Genghis 24 of my own of my UU. This in itself was very dumb in hindsight :rolleyes:

A few turns later they make peace after mansa looses a couple of minor cities.

Turn after that one of Mansa's cities goes legendary, the second in fact, I missed the message when the first ones culture got that high. And he's only about 20 turns from the 3rd city hitting legendary and giving him a win.

Frantically draft, build etc a scratch invasion force to raze the city in question, sail over, declare war, capture one of Mansa's coastal cities on the Mali/Mongol border to use as a beachhead, park all units in it.

And yep, you probably guessed the outcome. Next turn Genghis declares war on me. Flattens my entire invasion force with panzers and captures the city.

A few turns later Mansa wins his culture victory :cry:

lawlerskates

Clicked archery as my free tech from the oracle.

Intelligent - misclick?

That was just an insanely stupid Genghis AI. I can't stand that.

Me neither, they're so annoying when NOT playing to win the game, but playing to make you lose.

I recently attacked with only 98% odds. Dumb move. :(

I see :p

My own idiot move? My recent celtic game, I was going for conq, had De Gaulle and Zara as vassals, and Monty had SB. Charlemagne and De Gaulle was in between us, and Charlemange was at good relations, nearly friendly. I sent some machineguns to protect France, and even gifted Charlemagne one. Luckily, when I came for him as the last, he capitulated before I had to storm the MG. :p

I'M guessing MY dumb move would be that time I played an island map with Caesar...

Situation was this: I had a main and a secondary island I had just conquered recently, west and east respectively. Caesar was on the third island on the north hemisphere, further east. The second island had a very strong production city (main reason I invaded it in the first place) while the first was... poor, to say the least (I had cottaged most of it). I had recently acquired riflery and old Jules already had astronomy. He also hated me, so i knew he was going to invade me. So what did I do? I built rifles, lots of them. His best unit was macemen/knights, and although he had enough of them for his power rating to be higher than mine by a few light years, I expected my rifles to hold out against a good invasion.

So what did he do?
Proved to me that the earth was round. He attacked from the west, right on my first island still protected by archers. And I had exactly 12 gold, so no upgrades. Fastest city could build a rifle in 12 turns (and would be taken in 8, and it did).

To make a long story short, by the time my rifles got there, I had only 3 cities left on my first island (Thank you, slavery. Thank you.), as he had not bothered capturing; he'd gone straight for razing. I chased him off, built up again, but by the time I recovered, he'd gotten rifles too... and apparently he had plenty of cash to upgrade with.
And he got his good friend Khan to join in.

KHAAAAAAAAN!!

Since that day, I religiously update my defenders as soon as I can.

Top Bottom