Refined Poll: your standing with the game

Refined Poll: Your standing with the game

• Total voters
like the game but no longer playing because of stupid AI

Need an option for like the game, but not playing as much as I could be.

The main reason is that the game gets less interesting for me as it goes on. If I have to stop playing on turn 100, I'll long to return to the game because I don't know what's going to happen. I don't know if I'll beat my enemy (though I probably will). I don't know if Napoleon will stay distracted by his war with Suleiman long enough for me to finish Washington or if I'll have to break off that engagement to defend my flank. I don't know if I'll complete that wonder, keep my happiness up, discover something interesting, etc.

Fast-forward to turn 250 and it's same-old, same-old. One way or another, I control half the world. I have a tech lead in at least military techs. The worst part is turns take a LONG time and I'm spending most of the game waiting. These games get abandoned and I don't quickly find the urge to start another. The only decision left to make is do I want to spend one hour for a diplomacy victory or a not-very-exciting four hours for dominion. Usually go for the boring diplo victory. I haven't sent a spaceship up in months because once you've seen it, nothing new there. It's easy to buy 9 city-states and build the UN. Easy and dull, but at least it doesn't take forever.

Dislike it (in its current state) don't play it anymore (since months ago) and I quit because it was just plain boring. I'm glad some folks are still able to enjoy it, but I couldn't anymore - and that's a painful realization to come to. I kept pushing myself to play it for awhile, and eventually realized I was doing so out of some feeling of obligation to enjoy a Civ game, and refusal to believe that the game was really as shallow as it seemed.

So it's shelved for the time being but I might take it for a spin sometime in the next few months, assuming it gets some more patches / hotfixes.

I stopped playing civ 5 after about 10 hours, and since then I've put in 30+ on SMAC.

I voted for Dislike and no longer playing. I think unit management is silly. No drag and command features to move units at all. No formations. Happiness empire wide removes city planning. Tile blandness. Game runs like crap on a high end gaming rig, this is unacceptable and is one of my prime gripes. Coding, and unit behavior, and AI seem to have been designed by High Schoolers from a temp agency. Combat is good, Hexes are a must and 1UPT is fine. I will forgo pretty for 'fun and engrossing' any day. I will keep the game and hold out for improvement. I think it will come if more attention and unit management features are given to players.

Game has potential.

I am currently completely engrossed with Distant Worlds, OMG what a great 4x game!

Cheers..

I dislike it and I don't play it anymore. I'm sure it can be fixed in a way that will let the youngsters have a lot of fun, but after playing four Civ games + Alpha Centuari + Colonization to death, I feel that this game is doomed.

I'm a civil engineer, but I'm also an artist and a composer. I therefore enjoy both mathematics and design. When I play I Civ, I want to design an empire that looks good, but I also want a mathematical challenge. In earlier version, there was always a connection between these things. A well placed city (logical decision) would grow big and produce a lot of nice buildings and wonders. I could get excited simply looking at the city and think to myself "I created this!".

But Civ V is different. Letting your cities grow big is a bad idea. And since you don't need the cities to grow, build trading posts everywhere. Where you place your cities doesn't really matter except when collecting luxuries, since you just buy the units. Don't waste time/money at buildings, except for "Happiness 1", "Happiness 2 etc".

You no longer make you empire grow when you win a war. Instead, you burn everything to the ground and found a new pop 1 city instead.

Not to mention the embarkation, when damaged enemy catapults suddenly hid in a lake where my horsemen couldn't reach them. Yeah, that's a lot of fun.

But just as SuperJay wrote in another thread, I really don't care anymore. The only reason I visit these forums is to get a good laugh (such as the "Firaxis quotes" thread). The old games are still fun and I play Civ IV and Colonization frequently.

More than 100 votes now.

Time for a short look at the results (all values rounded):
35% enjoying and playing :D
48% disliking the game :cry:
53% no longer playing :mad:

I assume these are the worst values ever for a "Civilization" game four months after release.

I dislike the game, no longer playing it, because it's boring (not enough stuff, not enough challenge, not enough epic feeling, not enough good new concepts, not enough AI).

@Bad Brett : +1

Heck yeah, ditto everything Bad Brett said!

Except I'm not cool enough to be an engineer, artist, and composer all at once. :worship:

I really need the option:

"I played it lots at first, didnt like some things that were too strange compared to civ4 and stopped for awhile, then started playing again with the mindset it isnt civ4.1 and havent looked back"

Its a great game, but you have to leave your baggage behind. But I agree some things need improving to work properly; it doesnt bother me too much because I dont see it as math, I'm more interested in the strategic aspects.

No longer playing, because Civ V sucks monkey balls. I developed a physical aversion to Civ V, where I'd rather tear my eyes out than play one more turn of Civ V, or even start up Civ V. When I try a mental exercise where I force myself to start Civ V, I fall into convulsions.

More than 100 votes now.

Time for a short look at the results (all values rounded):
35% enjoying and playing :D
48% disliking the game :cry:
53% no longer playing :mad:

Did you eliminate the "E: No comment/none of the above, your input ..." when you calculated those figures? I guess you didn't. If you did, the numbers would look even worse.

"Builders" should really try mods. There are many mods that add a lot of buildings and modify the existing.
Actually, almost everyone who doesn't enjoy the game should install a lot of mods, especially ones that improve areas you don't like.

My interest with the game went like this:

1. Hey, good game.
2. Very nice.
3. Getting a bit dull.
4. Don't want to play. At all...
5. Hey, new stuff released.
6. This is getting nice.
7. Amazing!
8. Just.. One.. More.. Turn...

There should be a "waiting for next patch" option.

I'm not really playing the game right now, but waiting for another patch.

"Builders" should really try mods. There are many mods that add a lot of buildings and modify the existing.
Actually, almost everyone who doesn't enjoy the game should install a lot of mods, especially ones that improve areas you don't like.

Well, that's fine and I am playing Civ IV with the Rhye's & Fall mod from time to time just recently, but most of the fun I had with Alpha Centauri and the various iterations of Civ was playing gauntlets, succession games, PBEM games and competing in the Hall of Fame. Mods completely rule this out, unless they are the officially approved mods like Buffy. I think this may be true for others as well, and would certainly explain why some people are a bit upset :)

Apologies if I have misunderstood you, but are you saying that you like the game with a Mod or two but found the unmodded game boring?

Still playing, with occassional lapses when it gets too annoying. There are things I like about it and things I hate about it. I can tolerate the rubbish AI and the random diplomacy for now (though I still want them fixed). The thing that really drives me mad is the crappy UI.

Still, I recently got MTW working after not playing it for so long, so when I get too :mad: off with Civ, I can play that :) Truly awesome strategic and tactical goodness. It looks really really old now but I don't care. And there is always the stories and tales forum which has some great stuff to read, like the one in my sig :)

I don't hate the game, but gave up with it. Keep looking here for news and mods but nothing much appeals to me at the moment

Top Bottom