Republic

Hey, we're all guilty of the occasional cerebral flatulence from time to time. :D

That too. :)

If you want to support a huge army, do what the AI does. Switch to fascism. :rolleyes:
thats what i always do.
i normally switch to monarchy as soon as i research it unless im close to finishing a wonder or in a war close to home. i stay monarchy until i have research medicine and sanitiation (but fascism first) so i have hospitals to let me rush projects under fascism. I normally dont start building military units until i get calvary (i normally play on an archipelago 80% water), then i start building. but i love naval combat so once i get mass production i start pimping out carriers, battleships, transports ect. and normally make about 5-15 carrier groups, it depends on the size of the map.
I switched to republic once and it bankrupted my country, like in the -100s(and this was after i started building my armies) but once i switched to fascism it went up to about +200

I switched to republic once and it bankrupted my country, like in the -100s(and this was after i started building my armies) but once i switched to fascism it went up to about +200

Do you understand how the sliders in the F1 screen work? Do you understand the difference between relative amounts and absolute amounts?

thats why i think monarchy is better. you never no when you will want a war and you could be bankrupt.

thats why i think monarchy is better. you never no when you will want a war and you could be bankrupt.

This argument just doesn't make sense, really, the commerce bonus of republic is such huge, that republic is better for war (and peace) than monarchy. The only situation when monarchy is better is if you are at war for the rest of the game. (such as in an Always War variant game)

The only way I can explain SG-17 his situation is that he has a very small empire with an oversized military, or he didn't build enough roads.
I'm pretty sure that if he where to produce a saved game of his example, that is what we would see.

I once played a 5CC on a huge map, (again, a variant game) in this game, I had a lot of units per city thus governments other than republic would have been more useful here. In a normal game you'd get much more cities.
Though even in this game I ended up in republic, I had managed to secure some lux resources and traded it to the AI for GPT, the AI gold payed for the upkeep, and my commerce was turned into science at 100%. Only your own commerce can become science, gold from the AI goes to your treasury.

I always use to play as a Monarchy, but after listening to some sugestions, I started playing with Republic, and since then, I haven't touched Monarchy unless it's an AW game. Republic is superior in nearly every situation. You don't need to station 3 units in every city as military police, so you can move the units to defend your borders. The corruption level is a rank above Monarchy. If you road every tile, you get a huge commerce bonus, and since you have more raw income, you can lower your science slider and still have the same research speed as you would under Monarchy with a higher % science spending. You can use that extra income on the luxury slider to keep people happy and fight war weariness (assuming your luxuries + traded AI luxuries + marketplace and other improvements are not enough to keep your people happy), and the rest of the gold will go to supporting units. Any leftover money will be your net income, which can grow to be quite large. If you have a very large empire of cities and metros and you make some good GPT deals, you can easily support a massive army and still get quick research and happy people with Republic.

i will see if i still have the sav, it was my first game with complete

i make alot of citites too. i would show you how many cities i had on one of my warlord games but i dont know how to post it here

Republic dosent support enough units. in one of my games now i tried
republic and it costed way too mcuh. the research slider wasnt any more effective than despotism at 100%. my empire could support 22 units and i had 55. thats 66 gpt matinance! and dont tell me i need more citites, cause i had like 15. the 66 gold wouldnt cost anything in despotism, and wouldnt cost much in a monarchy. when i put research in republic to 0, i only made 24 gpt. I personally dont see much of an increase in commerence, and maitenance cost is terrible. im not willing to have a very weak army just to not have a lot of expenses. You could do this with monarchy. Just how many citites do you people make?

What version are you playing? In vanilla, Republic had no unit support at all. In Conquests, it has 1/3/4. Believe it or not, Republic will pay off. The fact that you have ~15 cities doesn't tell me much. Where are you in the game? Are you saying that you have 15 cities at the point where you make the switch to Republic or three-quarters of the way through the Middle Ages? And what are you doing with those 66 units? If you're in Republic, you can't use them for MPs, so you might as well be off conquering someone. No, republic doesn't support as many units as monarchy in terms of pure unit support. But unless you're at the unit support limit in a monarchy, any "excess support" is lost at the end of every turn. Republic, on the other hand, doesn't support as many units, but gives me more flexibility with how I use my gold.

Edit: And as to the number of cities, I usually have ~15-20 when I make the switch to Republic and it's not uncommon for me to have ~75-100 by the time I've conquered my continent.

Siaphi94, you must understand that Republic has 'growing pains'. Initally, unit cost will kill you, but experience will show you how to mitigate that. I just switched to Republic a couple of hours ago in my current emperor game and was paying 90 gpt in support. However, each town that grew to a city reduced that by 4 gpt/city (going from size 6 to 7). If your towns are avg size 3-4 when you switch to republic, you're gonna get killed in support. The trick is to get them to 7 asap. Also, keep grabbing unsettled land, and conquer the rest.

Top Bottom