Requests for new components (and features)

Wow, hi 12monkeys! Glad to see you're still around. That feature is in BUG with your Plot List Enhancements mod: hold down ALT while hovering over a unit icon when you have PLE draw style enabled. You have to hold ALT and then move your mouse over the icon.

I do remember seeing an incorrect tile highlighted once before but hadn't looked into it. The A* algorithm is in the EXE, but I was thinking I could search all the tiles in a ring around the unit, and for each that return 1 search their outward neighbors.

Thx, it works! Havn't noticed that you implemented it already, allthough I saw some code pointing to it.
I remember that the method you describe wasn't possible to use in vanilla, because there was no function available to retrieve the number of moves you need to reach a specific field with a given unit. Is that the case now?

I remember that the method you describe wasn't possible to use in vanilla, because there was no function available to retrieve the number of moves you need to reach a specific field with a given unit.

Oh, I see that CyMap::calculatePathDistance() doesn't take a CyUnit so it's probably just counting the number of plots. Do you remember off-hand what was wrong with your algorithm? Did you omit something in particular, or does it not work "sometimes" for reasons you don't know? If you can give me an idea of what needs doing I may be able to do it.

And BTW thank you for PLE. :goodjob:

Glad to see you back 12monkeys.

Is there a way the expected experience a unit will get could be added to the city screen? This information is nicely displayed in the CDA, but it doesn't solve a common problem of mine: building a unit/boat/plane in a city without a barracks/drydock/airport. As much as I always try to check, this happens numerous times per game.

My idea was to add a warning as part of the standard unit mouseover (similar to the building actual effects). Some red text at the bottom of the mouseover popup saying that the unit doesn't have its corresponding XP building present in the city. This would serve as a good reminder that you're contemplating making a unit that won't have full XP potential.

I know you can just glance up at the building list, but sometimes it's hard to spot in there, especially when it's the 10th city screen you've looked at that turn. :crazyeye:

Adding the number of XP the unit will have to the hover is easy enough, and I'll put it on my list. The warning should be possible as well. How about this message?

Nub units FTW!​

Adding the number of XP the unit will have to the hover is easy enough, and I'll put it on my list. The warning should be possible as well. How about this message?

Nub units FTW!​

Ok, cool. I was thinking something along the lines of:
No barracks in city.
No stable in city.
No drydock in city.
No airport in city.

Obviously only the applicable ones would display based on what you're thinking of building. I think only mounted units would have the barracks and stable, and in that case, it's only two lines of text.

I'm against a warning but displaying XP a unit will get sounds nice, maybe even the number of promotions it could gain from those?

Making it an option should keep everyone happy. :)

Oh, I see that CyMap::calculatePathDistance() doesn't take a CyUnit so it's probably just counting the number of plots. Do you remember off-hand what was wrong with your algorithm? Did you omit something in particular, or does it not work "sometimes" for reasons you don't know? If you can give me an idea of what needs doing I may be able to do it.

As I rememeber the problem occurs not much often, but from time to time it delivers wrong results when having a complex terrain (changing in the plot-to-plot movement costs and no straight line available).

I didn't found the exact reason for it. Don't know if you familiar with the A* argorithm, but the exact result highly depends on the parameter called "heuristic". If you modify it you will get different results. It is possible that the problem is located there. The Civ developers may have different heuristics in the engine, so the result may vary.

You're welcome! I was quite pleased that the mod-idea is still alive after so much years! :D :D :D. And whoever merged the mod into this one, did a really good job. I remember that there were quite big changes in the main interface needed to implement all this stuff. It surely wasn't an easy task.

For the XP/promotions here are some options:

1. Level 3 with 7 XP - total XP shown
  2. Level 3 plus 2 XP - additional XP after promotions shown
  3. 7XP (level 3)
For the warning message I was thinking along the lines of resource production bonus where it shows it in red if you don't have it (but not show it in green if you do):

• +3 XP with Barracks
  • +4 XP with Drydock
  • +5 XP with Barracks, Stable
Although I suppose showing it in green if you have it isn't so bad:

• +3 XP from Barracks
  • +2 XP with Stable
It's just more work but with the above it wouldn't be too horrible to include the Military Instructors:

• +3 XP from Barracks
  • +4 XP from Military Instructor

Glad to see you back 12monkeys./QUOTE]

Sorry, but I'm not "back" in modding. I'm just have my yearly fallback to playing civ4 :).
And always when starting the first game with a fresh installed civ, I wonder why the game developers made such a poor user interface. So an urgent need to install an interface mod overcomes me.
And the best interface mod out in the modding market for me is the BUG/BAT mod! It doesn't touch the gameplay, only the interface. That was exactly my primary intention when modding. So, please, continue your very good job over here! :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Is there a way the expected experience a unit will get could be added to the city screen? This information is nicely displayed in the CDA, but it doesn't solve a common problem of mine: building a unit/boat/plane in a city without a barracks/drydock/airport. As much as I always try to check, this happens numerous times per game.

My idea was to add a warning as part of the standard unit mouseover (similar to the building actual effects). Some red text at the bottom of the mouseover popup saying that the unit doesn't have its corresponding XP building present in the city. This would serve as a good reminder that you're contemplating making a unit that won't have full XP potential.

I know you can just glance up at the building list, but sometimes it's hard to spot in there, especially when it's the 10th city screen you've looked at that turn. :crazyeye:

Again Sorry, I have no clue how to solve this. In former times I had a very good overview about the available functions and game mechanics, but this is past. :blush:

For the XP/promotions here are some options:

1. Level 3 with 7 XP - total XP shown
  2. Level 3 plus 2 XP - additional XP after promotions shown
  3. 7XP (level 3)
I vote for simply "7 XP (3STAR_CHAR)"

where STAR_CHAR is that star in gamefonts, the yellow one between RELIGION_CHAR and TRADE_CHAR. (Or is that already in use somewhere else?)
Making it an option should keep everyone happy. :)
Obviously. But when there are options, there are default values. If I can influence them to be identical to the settings I'd use, then I'll do it ;)

Although I suppose showing it in green if you have it isn't so bad:

• +3 XP from Barracks
  • +2 XP with Stable
It's just more work but with the above it wouldn't be too horrible to include the Military Instructors:

• +3 XP from Barracks
  • +4 XP from Military Instructor

These two have my vote. Using green and red text it would be very easy to see how much XP you're going to get vs. how much is possible.

Glad to see you back 12monkeys.

Sorry, but I'm not "back" in modding. I'm just have my yearly fallback to playing civ4 :).
I figured. Still, it's good to see your activity on the boards. Your hard work is still in use this many years later.

I vote for simply "7 XP (3STAR_CHAR)"

where STAR_CHAR is that star in gamefonts, the yellow one between RELIGION_CHAR and TRADE_CHAR. (Or is that already in use somewhere else?)

Sounds good to me.

Would the star indicate number of promotions or ending level? Note that units with 0XP are level 1. My guess is that you meant to have a # and star only if you'll have promotions available, so a level 2 unit would show 1<star>.

Oh, and it will probably default to on as with 99.9% of the other BUG/BULL features. This is the best way to show players new features so they can decide whether or not they want them on. If they default to off, I may as well not bother adding them.

if you are talking about promotions, then maybe they should be blue stars ... and would have to take into account CHA and their cheaper promo levels.

Yes, of course, CHA is a factor. Not the only one though, but until proven otherwise I believe EF will figure out how to convert any number of XP to a number of level upgrades that result from that.
Is there a blue star in gamefonts?

There are gold and silver stars. Yes, I know about CHA. There is a function in fact to give you the level for the XP (a callback).

"I am of course wearing full body armor. I'm not a moron." -- Serenity

Yes, I was thinking about the number of promotions that can be chosen once built, not absolute unit level, so make that "2STAR_CHAR"
I agree, and think this would be more useful than absolute level.

Not to make things more complicated, but do you think it would be helpful to include this information with the draft hover as well? I believe you get half the XP rounded down. I've personally also made the mistake of drafting in cities with no barracks as well.

Just throwing that out there. :D

You get 1/2 of what a unit produced in that city normally would get (rounded down).

Top Bottom