Research rate in the early game?

Admittedly, no. I've never gotten to 0% with negative income. I also haven't played a game on Immortal+ yet! Generally, I can REX pretty well on Monarch (and 1 emperor game) without bottoming out like that.

Admittedly, no. I've never gotten to 0% with negative income. I also haven't played a game on Immortal+ yet! Generally, I can REX pretty well on Monarch (and 1 emperor game) without bottoming out like that.
I can't remember well, but I guess it was indeed on deity I had to stop all the scientists, mines and switched everything to commerce, including 1F 2 C to avoid a second turn of strike.
I was on a conquest rampage, but you only have 1 free unit on deity :mischief:.

I was on a conquest rampage, but you only have 1 free unit on deity
Aiiieeee! No thanks. I'm good with stompin the AI on Monarch and having a solid challenge on Emperor. Maybe I'll move up to Emp/Imm someday, but I don't think I'll ever brave deity. 1 free unit... no thanks mang ;)

Yes, and finally starting to feel that I'm playing below my level -- but I've only ever finished one game (and it took a year of half-finished games to finally achieve that)... I want a couple more before I move on.

That sounds about right. :goodjob:

:eek: oh hell yeah, that's bad lol. Glad I've never been that bad off.

Well, at least it's not a 1F 1C tile!! Though maybe no one works those ever. LoL

Huh, I've ended up forced to work coast while crawling towards "C, C, or C" many a time... though less so now that I've learned to recognize "Monarchy Maps" (=no happy resources, impossible or impractical to get a religion, no hope of the 'Mids).

My point was simply that it is not desperation. If I have currency then my economy no longer classifies as desperate. A production city after it has all the necesarry stuff in the early game (barracks, granary, maybe library for the hell of it) can do 1 of two 2 things. Build wealth to increase research of commerce cities or more units. If you have multiple production cities, which you normally do/should, then you don't need them all pumping units. 1 usually suffices or sometimes none. Wealth is the next best build if no essential wonder is on the table.

In that kind of situation I prefer to build multipliers, since they keep on giving even in the future, unlike the built wealth.

I do realize on an intellectual level that reaching a critical tech a few turns sooner can be a more potent long-term investment (e.g. by letting you start a war before your best unit for the war will face a hard counter or a critical threshold in defender count) than the seeming "bigger long-term investment" that is building a multiplier. On an intellectual level I realize it. :)

On a practical level I usually just kneejerk and automatically build a multiplier or more units.

Top Bottom