1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Research rate in the early game?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by macabre, Aug 29, 2009.

1. cabert

cabert Big mouth

then you never pushed REX to the limit ;)

2. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

Admittedly, no. I've never gotten to 0% with negative income. I also haven't played a game on Immortal+ yet! Generally, I can REX pretty well on Monarch (and 1 emperor game) without bottoming out like that.

3. cabert

cabert Big mouth

I can't remember well, but I guess it was indeed on deity I had to stop all the scientists, mines and switched everything to commerce, including 1F 2 C to avoid a second turn of strike.
    I was on a conquest rampage, but you only have 1 free unit on deity :mischief:.

4. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

Aiiieeee! No thanks. I'm good with stompin the AI on Monarch and having a solid challenge on Emperor. Maybe I'll move up to Emp/Imm someday, but I don't think I'll ever brave deity. 1 free unit... no thanks mang ;)

5. TheWilltoAct

TheWilltoAct I am observe

That sounds about right. :goodjob:

Well, at least it's not a 1F 1C tile!! Though maybe no one works those ever. LoL

6. Bostock

Bostock King

Huh, I've ended up forced to work coast while crawling towards "C, C, or C" many a time... though less so now that I've learned to recognize "Monarchy Maps" (=no happy resources, impossible or impractical to get a religion, no hope of the 'Mids).

7. Bostock

Bostock King

In that kind of situation I prefer to build multipliers, since they keep on giving even in the future, unlike the built wealth.

I do realize on an intellectual level that reaching a critical tech a few turns sooner can be a more potent long-term investment (e.g. by letting you start a war before your best unit for the war will face a hard counter or a critical threshold in defender count) than the seeming "bigger long-term investment" that is building a multiplier. On an intellectual level I realize it. :)

On a practical level I usually just kneejerk and automatically build a multiplier or more units.