Rethinking the Trade Routes System

Tracking resources not in just access or no access but in volumes of access vs amounts of consumption on a per population basis and more.

Also not sure if there's already something about this in the code, but the concept of competing floods has to be decided early on I believe. Will floods compete for tiles, or will each flood spread as far as it can ignoring overlapping, and each tile will have an influence of each flood?
In the current code floods compete for tiles, no overlap.
The main reasons:
That limits the run time of the algorithm to N log N with N being the total number of plots regardless of the number of cities.
This avoids having to store multiple "height" values and previous plots for every plot (the second only if the exact plot routes are calculated which they currently are).

It also has the effect that the floods block other floods so they have to flow around each other.

These Volumetric Resources concept seems a great addition to the game!

And those are great infos on the code, thanks AIAndy. I don't know how many plots exist in each map scale, but even so N log N seems much better then N² which I believe is the limit run time of the current system. Unless Plots >> Cities, this is an improvement. By my estimation, with 1000 cities, we would need between 10,000 and 100,000 plots so each formula yields similar results. I don't think Gigantic can support much more then 1000 cities (imagining a world that respects the proportion of water and land that our planet does). A land only map could go much beyond that. If anyone can come with the number of plots for each map size (especially the largest) that would be great :goodjob:

I'm currently reading the wikipedia article about Trade Routes, I tried to avoid that but I couldn't resist :p. I'll compile here every part of the article I find useful for what we're doing here (bolded are those I think are even more important/revealing).

Long distance trade routes were developed in the Chalcolithic Period. The period from the middle of the 2nd millennium BCE to the beginning of the Common Era saw societies in Western Asia, the Mediterranean, China and the Indian subcontinent develop major transportation networks for trade.

One of the vital instruments which facilitated long distance trade was portage and the domestication of beasts of burden.[6] Organized caravans, visible by the 2nd millennium BCE,[7]could carry goods across a large distance as fodder was mostly available along the way.[6] The domestication of camels allowed Arabian nomads to control the long distance trade in spices and silk from the Far East to the Arabian Peninsula.[8]

Caravans were useful in long-distance trade largely for carrying luxury goods, the transportation of cheaper goods across large distances was not profitable for caravan operators.

Evidence of maritime trade between civilizations dates back at least 90 millennia.[11] Navigation was known in Sumer between the 4th and the 3rd millennium BCE, and was probably known by the Indians and the Chinese people before the Sumerians.

Maritime trade began with safer coastal trade and evolved with the manipulation of the monsoon winds, soon resulting in trade crossing boundaries such as the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal.

By making use of the maritime trade routes, bulk commodity trade became possible for the Romans in the 2nd century BCE.[13] A Roman trading vessel could span the Mediterranean in a month at one-sixtieth the cost of over-land routes.

These routes
(urban trading networks) - spreading religion, trade and technology - have historically been vital to the growth of urban civilization.

Buddhist missions thrived along the Silk Roads, partly due to the conducive intermixing of trade and cultural values, which created a series of safe stoppages for both the pilgrims and the traders.

The Amber Road was a European trade route associated with the trade and transport of amber.[1] Amber satisfied the criteria for long distance trade as it was light in weight and was in high demand for ornamental purposes around the Mediterranean.[1] Before the establishment of Roman control over areas such as Pannonia, the Amber Road was virtually the only route available for long distance trade.

By the time of Augustus up to 120 ships were setting sail every year from Myos Hormos to India,[50]trading in a diverse variety of goods.

The trade route from the Varangians to the Greeks
(...) began in Scandinavian trading centres such as Birka, Hedeby, and Gotland, crossed the Baltic Sea entered the Gulf of Finland, followed the Neva River into the Lake Ladoga. Then it followed the Volkhov River, upstream past the towns of Staraya Ladoga and Velikiy Novgorod, crossed Lake Ilmen, and up the Lovat River. From there, ships had to be portaged to the Dnieper River near Gnezdovo. A second route from the Baltic to the Dnieper was along the Western Dvina (Daugava) between the Lovat and the Dnieper in the Smolensk region, and along the Kasplya River to Gnezdovo. Along the Dnieper, the route crossed several major rapids and passed through Kiev, and after entering the Black Sea followed its west coast to Constantinople.

I'll try to organize these later, now I must go to college to visit its Game Lab.

If anyone can come with the number of plots for each map size (especially the largest) that would be great :goodjob:
That depends on what map script is used.
World mapscript (MS) has 20608 plots on gigantic map and 1536 plots on duel map size.
Perfect Mongoose MS has 24576 plots on gigantic map and 1664 plots on duel map size.
Lakes MS has 9600 plots on gigantic map and 384 plots on duel map size.
Tilted Axis MS has 25600 plots on gigantic map and 1024 plots on duel map size.
etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom