Revolutions Beyond The Sword

actually Komori, i also try to build along rivers and coasts. i find that those connections are very efective, just lately that religion seems to have been spreading faster on roads. maybe it really is just a coincidance.

I don't see how it can be anything other than a coincidence. I worked quite a bit on the religion spreading mechanics in the SDK to provide more variation about how religions spread and ultimately to make it so that the last religion founded would have as much viability as the first religion founded.

The problem with trying to determine if a city is connected to another city by road is that you have to actually track the route from one city to the next. The processing time needed to accomplish this would be (in my opinion) just too much. The game would have to follow every branch of a road to determine if it connected to the city in question.

The way the system works is that when a plot (tile) is connected with a road, it's placed in a "plot group". When I first started investigating this, I thought a plot group was a geographic group of tiles, but it's not. It's all the tiles that are connected with each other. If a plot is pillaged, however, it is then removed from the plot group. What I'm wondering is if there's a way to store information on HOW the plot is connected to the rest of the plot group when it's first assigned to that group which would remove the need to plot the path of the routes every time you wanted to know how they're connected... I haven't looked into it closely however.

What I'm wondering is if there's a way to store information on HOW the plot is connected to the rest of the plot group when it's first assigned to that group which would remove the need to plot the path of the routes every time you wanted to know how they're connected... I haven't looked into it closely however.

I'm not brilliant on C++ but that sounds right DPII. The obvious way would be a seperate data structure of nothing but a chain of pointers to plots, that grows progressively as roads get built? Then a function that would search the pointer chains for the connectivity of any two locations, which is a once off computation? However it seems strange that such a data structure does not already exist. If it would have to be built, the worry would be excessive consumption of RAM. But if it's nothing but pointers, it wouldn't be too bad would it?

Cheers.

I'm still playing a huge terra map game on monarch version 1.30. I've turned on aggressive AI in order to make corporation trade more difficult late game. So far Revolution1.3 is brilliantly fun and working well. As far as I can tell, aggressive AI doesn't mean that a civ is necessarily always militaristic, just that they are generally less obliging on a number of fronts. I like it.

I've got a question on a beautiful little "event" that occured upon me capturing a breakaway city Laodicea. The context is that the Justinian has been severely racked by rebellion from early history onwards. Mansa rose up and grabbed Laodicea from him. I then grabbed this city from Mansa. The event that popped up went along these lines from memory:

"The citizens of Laodicea loyal to Justinian, have fled back to the capital and formed a partisan uprising against you".

Now that is nice. I assume that although Mansa had captured the city from Justinian, some of the citizens still loyal to Justinian fled and formed a resistance to me the aggressor, not Mansa. I have no problem with that and I like it. ;)

Is that event a BTS or Revolutions event?

Cheers and a big thanks for this wonderful mod.

It's a BTS event that occurs sometimes when you capture enemy cities... originally featured in Civ2. I think it takes the highest culture owner (or perhaps the ORIGINAL as opposed to the PREVIOUS owner), so it went to Justinian.

I'm still on 1.30 but Rev is going cool :) My wife is doing 1.31 Rev starting Terra maps with no other civ but herself. She's finding that minor's are turning up a lot earlier and generally it's making her have to think a bit more! She can no longer build the great wall every game because minors are not limited by it :) However the real possibility of playing a game starting with only one civ, is now a semi serious option so long as you turn conquest off otherwise triggering a domination win first turn!

My question is regarding random personality assignments. Lately I've been playing with this option on in order to make the strategy of deducing leader behaviours a little bit more interesting. It does not seem to destroy game balance for me. I've noticed that Revolutions does work with Random personalities as well to some extent with respect to rebellious leaders.

Once a rebellious leader or other combinations like minor civs settle down into full civs, is the code sensitive to the random personality option or does it end up assigning the default personality for that leader?

Knowing you clever modders, you have already consider this possibility.
Thanks again for a superb mod.

When assigning a leader to a new civ or changing the leader of a civ, the mod does in fact use Random Personalities when that's on. When "Isabella II" takes over, she'll also get a new random personality (these fake second leaders always have random personalities ...). The one issue it that, if Isabella regains control, under random personalities she won't have the same personality as before she was deposed ... exile has changed her, I guess :p With Random off, she would return to her former, default self when regaining power.

That's good- I like to play with random personalities as well, to make it more unpredictable. But I also like to play with unrestricted leaders, and I noticed that the game always keeps new leaders with their civilizations rather than making it random. Has this been fixed with the new update?

If anyone is interested I've uploaded a couple of python files that update the domestic and foreign advisor screens I find useful for playing Revolutions. The foreign advisor now has a "change" tab which shows the "change" in relationship between any and all civs you have come in contact with. This is very handy for the large numbers of civs we sometimes face in Revolutions where you have to get your head around a *big* relations matrix of civs!

The domestic advisor updates the food column to show the number of turns left before a city grows. It mimics the culture column. It is very useful if you have a large number of cities on the edge of rebellion and you want to keep track of growth so that they don't fall into ill health or unhappiness.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6579073#post6579073

The files are attached to post number 15 in the forum.
Cheers

Did you ever think of combining the BUG mod and Civ Rev? I had to sacrifice my BUG mod's features to play this mod :( and i really miss it's reminders and stuff.

What do you think of combining Revolution with a civ-adding mod like CIV Gold?
If it's very simple, please tell me how (I don't know anything at that).
CIV Gold is using modules, but someone at their development forum said that CIV Gold civs work only with CIV Gold. Well, I gonna try it today.

CIV Gold is using modules, but someone at their development forum said that CIV Gold civs work only with CIV Gold. Well, I gonna try it today.

I've done it, except I've taken a bunch of civs from civ gold and all of the new leaderheads for existing civs out, so theres about 28 new civs (mostly ones that I thought were cool and also had well-done leaderheads) plus I have the 48 civ .dll included. The link is here if you're interested: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BRC5UFRN (you'll need WinRAR or 7zip to unzip it)

Be aware you'll get a few xml errors on startup (I thought I deleted all the diplo references to the leaders I dropped, but apparently not; these errors won't affect the game though), and some civ first contact quotes are a little wonky. Also (I'm not sure if I did this on the version I had uploaded to myself) make sure that the .ini file is named revolution, and you need to rename the entire mod folder "Revolution" rather than "civ gold" or whatever I have it named. Finally, be aware that I changed some settings in the revolution .ini file, and that I also overall increased barbarian and animal activity, especially sea barbarian activity, and reduced bonuses for fighting against barbs. EDIT: Actually, the only barbarian settings I changed was on noble difficulty, any other difficulty setting will have default (or whatever jdog changed it to) number of barbs.

If you wanted to combine the mod with all of civ gold, it's pretty simple, the easiest way is probably to download civ gold, and then take all of the revolution mod files and drop them in the appropriate folders in the civ gold folder, and then make sure you change "enable modular loading" in the revolution .ini file from "0" to "1". Finally, change the civ gold folder name to "Revolution." Civ gold in full takes about 5 or more minutes to load the mod (or so I hear) which is why I cut out so many civs in my version.

Thanks! :)
EDIT: Decided to do this at home, and it works pretty well! Thanks for your advice!

On the contrary, CIV Gold has been set up to do things like this. It's modular nature lends itself to start making your own mod, like Bob did.

What about the BUG mod?

If you mean in combination with CIV Gold, then this is the wrong forum to ask :lol: Apart from that I'm not fully up-to-date on the coding of the BUG mod, but CIV Gold is also an "unaltered gameplay" mod.

I'm a bit confused about you quoting me. Are you asking me about the BUG/CivRev combo?

yes :lol:

i had to sacrifice the BUG mod to play the CivRev mod and i miss the nice features the BUG mod gave me. :( and i was wondering if there was a way to combine the two.

Top Bottom