1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Classical World

Discussion in 'RFC mod-mod: Classical World' started by srpt, Dec 8, 2011.

1. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

I've updated and attached the city name map, finishing Anatolia and Greece and fixing up Germania.

Attached Files:

2. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

@ srpt

I see you reduced the size of the LH greatly. How did you do it?

3. srpt

srpt Deist

embryodead did it. he said he went through the files and removed unused stuff and I think reduced the size of some textures somehow. I also reverted a few leaderheads to vanilla types, such as normal Ragnar for Theodoric instead of the altered Ragnar we were using and vanilla Augustus for Julius Caesar.

edead also said cutting 10 tiles from the top of the map won't make any difference since there are no cities or units there.

I will add lake Baikal.

thank you for the city names.

I knew about the city art style map from SoI, but I had left it at "-1" for every tile so it would have no effect. you just reminded me though that I was using that map to set tile restrictions for "airports as harbors" idea. I'm sure that's what is causing the bugs.

4. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

I have a suggestion regarding the Franks. Right now, if I remember correctly, controlling Germania literally consists of plopping a single settler somewhere in the province. To make it more interesting and make conquering Germania more difficult (as it should be), a propose spawning Stratisburgum (Argentoratum/Strasbourg), Mimigernaford (Monasterium/Münster), Erphesfurt (Erfordia/Erfurt), and Ratisbon (Castra Regina/Regensburg) somewhere between 500 and 550 AD, to represent the Alemanni, Saxoni, Thuringii, and Bavarii, respectively. That way controlling Germania involves conquering rather than settling, and also makes for a more realistic Frankish Empire when fully conquered. Obviously terrain around these cities will need to be improved to actually make them viable, decent cities. If you want to implement this, I added all these cities to the city name map earlier, with all their Germanic names as well.

As a note, I changed the name of the Aachen tile to Aquae Granni, which was the actual name of Roman Aachen. Treverorum/Augusta Treverorum (which is Trier) remains as the city name for the tile 1 south.

About cutting the tiles, I think it would be better to make it 9 tiles- that way Eburacum/York could be a viable 2nd city in the currently very empty Britannia.

5. DrZomboss

DrZomboss Brrrainz Gourmet

I still think it should be Berenike or Berenikis for Greece, not Berenice (the Greeks haven't got the "c" letter in their alphabet).

6. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Ok. I'm still amazed how much smaller the art is now. It's only 30-40% the size of the previous files.

7. Swarbs

Swarbs Emperor

Agree about the Franks. At the moment it's possible to get Germania simply by moving your starting settler one tile east, which is a better city location anyway. There should certainly be a few cities to be conquered in Germania. Tho' not sure there's much need to improve terrain around these cities - just adding a couple of resources to each should be fine.

Not convinced there is a need for Eboracum in Britain. The only civ that Eboracum is of any relevance to is the Romans, and I don't personally think it's worth slowing down the entire game just for a city that only a minority of Roman players will probably found anyway.

8. srpt

srpt Deist

the svn is back in business but I will only be doing larger commits after midnight EST since they are free for me then.

I agree about the Franks. their opponents in Germany should be the Saxons and the Avars and those cities you mentioned will be added.

with edead's help I fixed the worker/slave capturing bug.

to be clear, cutting tiles from the top of the map will not affect performance so I'm not doing it. if I can have the Romans build their entire historical empire at its most extreme, which afaik is the Persian Gulf to the Antonine Wall on the Forth/Clyde line in Scotland without hitting the edge of the map then I want that. obviously some players will want to able to do that so if I can let them do it without affecting performance then I will.

agree about Berenike

9. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Regarding Greek Berenice, don't forget to add the suffix (or whatever you call the second word), as in the city name map.

10. srpt

srpt Deist

commit 75 is up

changes:

increased Pontus goal to 4 Roman cities
    city name map additions from DC123456789
    worker/slave capture bug fixed
    Lake Baikal added
    4 barbarian cities spawn in Germany in 395, so they will be there when the Hunds attack
    fixed city art bug (I think)
    gave the Byzantines Crop Rotation and Bulk Trade at spawn
    prevented corporations leaving Roman/Byzantine cities on the flip
    gave Constantinople 30 culture when built so the Byzantines do not have to wait for their iron

11. Sitalkas

Sitalkas Prince

my pc was broken so I couldn't play for a week :/

I fixed it today and tried a tocharian game!

everything was going perfectly until my most hated civ , the kushans, appeared.

They flipped my extremely important city Osh without even asking me if I wanted to. All that preparation to face them, all that improvements around the city which took me valuable turns to build... all for nothing!

Not to mention that prior to their spawning I was facing 3 of their UUs as barbarians in my borders EACH TURN!! To the point I lost all my treasure to bribing them to join me/ leave my lands !!

Honestly I think the Kushan situation must be revised, there are numerous of civs that are affected by their spawning, and they are affected negatively. At least give a chance to civs to defend themselves :(

edit: also, since by the time you start sending missionaries to spread Buddhism, Asia is a little bit of a mess, perhaps the last goal should be changed to "spread buddhism to 5 far east cities" . In my game all of China is either Nan Yue or Vietnamese and they dont count to UHV

12. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Yeah, flipping for humans is still broken (you don't get a choice, it flips automatically and you declare war, as though you were AI).

13. Sitalkas

Sitalkas Prince

there seems to be a bug in stability at the moment

civs keep collapsing like the icebergs at the north pole during the summer!

this is a screenshot just some turns after Byzantines spawn!

they managed to get these areas only because they were barbarian, and I gave them more units to start since they couldn't flip any cities.

ps. Byzantines leader is Pompey :p needs a fix!

Attached Files:

14. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Lake Baikal cannot be smaller than Balkhash, for example. On this map we can actually see only bottom half of it, when positioned accurately...

15. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Bug/issue confirmed. In my 320 BC start game, Rome, Parthia, the Mauryans, the Satavahana, and the Han all collapsed when there wasn't really any reason for them to (controlled core, wasn't economically destroyed, etc.)

16. kun5979

kun5979 Chieftain

I think the north of china is very empty,there should be more nomads to be added

17. srpt

srpt Deist

if you had looked in the civilopedia to see what provinces other civs are going to flip you would see that the Kushans will flip Ferghana. its not essential or even useful as far as I can see to hold Osh for the Tocharian goals.

I will amend the spreading Buddhism goal so its still doable if China is collapsed.

I have been running tests and I'm getting the popup as I should. not sure what's up there.

I ran a couple of Parthian starts and everything looked normal. I will keep testing. Pompey as Byzantine leader means something went wrong with the Roman civil war.

yes I will make it bigger. there is a significant distortion in latitude from the west to the east end of the map though and I'm not changing it, so if you measure Baikal's position by latitude with landmarks in Europe it will be much too far north.

that's probably a good idea

18. Sitalkas

Sitalkas Prince

Yep I knew that, and I was prepared to face them! I had hired like a ton of mercenaries and they suddenly flipped my city without even going to war with me :/

One reason that some middle east civs collapsed, is the Kushans! They have so many starting units that they even reached the Mediterranean! Before the Kushan spawn , there were the Parthians, the Romans, the Seleucids , the Armenians and the Jewish in the middle east.

Some turns after the Kushans, there were only independents.

in conclusion, nerf Kushans :p !!!!!!

19. srpt

srpt Deist

I gave them all those units because they used to struggle to even take N India. you should get the flip popup choice though. they have a different birth mechanism than most civs. I will look into it.

20. Sian

Sian Emperor

been poking around in this a bit ... and got a question about Pathian UHV2 ...

what tile is supposed to be Ctesiphon? ... the one currently named Tisfun on the citymap?