RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

1. If Arabia starts at war with the Byzantines, they can conquer Antakya on the first turn, before Damascus, make it their capital and get Orthodoxy. I will try to see what I can do make sure Antakya doesn't fall on the first Arabian Turn.

2. Kiev and Moscow map needed improvement since all the hills and resources there were pretty much random. Now the map looks OK, however, we still have to rebalance.

3. Bulgaria is a completely different thing in th hands of the Human, or if the Human is near by and if they are left alone. Bulgaria doesn't expand into Kiev (even if Kiev collapses), but goes after the dalmatian coast much stronger than needed (which is also due to crappy Venetian AI). Also the final collapse of Bulgaria and Byzantium should be brought by the Turks (crappy Turkish AI). Bulgaria expanding into France is probably due to a random war, I will work on that as well.

4. Spain at least takes over Cordoba. I will have to make some tests to see if they get too powerful afterwards.

5. Will have to increase the Pirates. I did not want to make a pirate horde that is impossible to defeat, so I made a few scattered pirates that posed no treat to anyone.

Thanks for input everyone, the next Alpha should see a lot of balancing improvements.

Isn't it simpler to just delete Antioch from the map?

The city became irrelevant after the first Crusade.

Arabs could still build it if they wanted to.

What's a Berber cavalry? I have never EVER had any flip to me (all I get is an archer, occasionally a galley), and I've never had the chance to build any in monarch or emperor. I usually ship my archer there to protect Cordoba (since barbs don't appear in Africa till later) and use Tangier for producing workers.

Just to show you it can happen, here's an Emperor start I just tried. As you can see in the screenshot, Tanja not only has an archer but a galley and 2 Berber cavalry. And I flipped a skirmisher near Cordoba as well. I played on a bit but the tech rate was murder. And I only got Cordoba to 10 so I missed the UHV. One way to get
some money is to raze everything in sight. My 2 Berbers and skirmisher (heavily promoted from killing barbs) first razed Toledo and then Barcelona. They also trashed every built town in Iberia (one got me 33 gold). Having pre-built towns on hills are such a gift. What else are they good for but pillaging?:lol:

Just move the Arabs one tile south, a better starting location and out of range of Antioch.

bye Myri

I was thinking more along the lines of adding one forest tile on the path from Damascus to Antioch. I don't want to change the starting location for because of the city name map.

When you change the map move the fish 3 tiles north of Danzig 1 tile south pls, it's horrible when ressources force you to raze a city; Poland really needs that fish.

bye Myri

When you change the map move the fish 3 tiles north of Danzig 1 tile south pls, it's horrible when ressources force you to raze a city; Poland really needs that fish.

bye Myri

You can get that fish with enough culture, but you're right.

My main concern is Napoli, though. There's no point in taking it with so much resources out of its fat cross.

A further report on the Cordoba start. It's OK except for stability. From the start your stability is shaky, you don't meet anyone for along time and even the Arabs won't open borders with you. Then when the Spanish spawn and declare war on you, you start collapsing and you always lose a city to revolt, usually Valencia. Why is Cordoba crippled even before the Spanish arrive? Historically it was the Golden Age of Al Andalus which lasted until the decline of the Caliphate in 1031. Even then Cordoba should be playable up until at least 1300 or what's the point of the UHVs?

5. Will have to increase the Pirates. I did not want to make a pirate horde that is impossible to defeat, so I made a few scattered pirates that posed no treat to anyone.

I'm playing Spain right now and IMO you don't have to increase it very much. I have a pirate about every 5-10 turns. And I even had a privateer in 1200 or something. Nobody even had shipbuildding. But I think I still had a free barbarian win because I won the battle. So I think the problem is in the east. (Adriatic Sea)

I started a new game using the latest version as Burgundy and it was great :) I immedietly teched for Axemen and built some knowing France will declare war soon. I took their newly settled city Luxembourg and they gave me gold for peace. I settled lyon and captured Marseilles using the leftover Axemen, and then settled Amsterdam. A little after Germany spawned I settled Constance due east of Dijon which is a rather bad spot but it blocks the Germans from settling in my UHV lands.
From there on it was a cruise until the 1100's, teching and building some units once the years got close, however the crusades never started, it is now almost 1300 and not one crusade was innitiated, I guess this is a bug? Even so, It was a great game, even without much action, I raced for some several wonders (cluny, round church) and vassalized Germany, France, Genoa and Poland, and quickly made the 1st in score.

So I don't know if it's my luck, my computer's dice or what, it took me no less than 5 loads to get anything other than an archer and a galley in Tanja. (The last time I finally got a Berber cavalry) And I never ever get an extra skirmisher.

Also, what's up with Arabia being Orthodox 4/5 times?

Most likely they start now at war with Byzanz and conquer Antioch before they settle, than they have a orthodox capital, a bug 3Miro already is working on. You can avoid that bug if you place a wood se of Antioch; 4 movement points needed to attack, they settle first and have a muslim capital.

bye Myri

Something weird has been bothering me... I have been playing the June 7th Test Version for a while, and yesterday I found out about Alpha 6 and downloaded it into my BtS Mods folder. But now, everytime I try to load the RFCE mod or try to play straight from the World Builder save, the game crashes, with the typical Windows message: "BtS found an error and needs to be closed", or something along that. Has that happened to anyone before? Could anyone help me out?

Something weird has been bothering me... I have been playing the June 7th Test Version for a while, and yesterday I found out about Alpha 6 and downloaded it into my BtS Mods folder. But now, everytime I try to load the RFCE mod or try to play straight from the World Builder save, the game crashes, with the typical Windows message: "BtS found an error and needs to be closed", or something along that. Has that happened to anyone before? Could anyone help me out?

Before installing a new version of the mod, completely erase the old RFCEurope folder. Try that (remove the RFCEurope folder and then reinstall the mod).

Before installing a new version of the mod, completely erase the old RFCEurope folder. Try that (remove the RFCEurope folder and then reinstall the mod).

I forgot to specify it, but I did do that, and it didn't work nevertheless.
Right now, I'm trying Alpha 5 to check if it works with me.

EDIT: And it doesn't, either.

Firaxis has released BtS 3.19 lately (after June 7th); alpha 6 requires the new version. So, first upgrade to the new patch manually and then install alpha 6. That should work.

Top Bottom