RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

What I saw was cottages built on honey, barley and apples in Italy. Other nations seem to be doing OK

Playing a game as Genoa. I notice that they are surrounded by VERY powerful independent forces. Since Genoa does NOT have access to copper or iron at the start, the only way to capture Milan and Marseilles is with a stack of catapults and archers. Once I was able to capture Marseilles, I was then subjected to a stack of enemies including 6 crossbows and 7 archers!

One of 2 solutions. Either tone down the independents, or give Genoa access to iron or copper.

Probably both solutions are necessary. I gave Genoa sulfur for gunpowder units, but that doesn't do much for their start. I'll go back and add iron for both Genoa and Venice - didn't realize I'd missed it.

On flip zones - it doesn't seem like they're working properly in Europe, regardless of size. The Dutch flip an area just big enough to build Maastricht (and after a few turns, nothing else around them opens up), and Venice and Genoa don't flip any of the independents around them.

This may be a question of size rather than whether the flip zone's working or not, but while the computer seems to do ok, the human player doesn't get much or any flip.

Tech rates are quite fast, in part because civs are quite happy to trade techs with each other (and not necessarily just their friends). The independent tech rate probably needs to be slowed to a crawl, as they'll always have a lot of cities providing research (and curiously, don't seem to pay any maintenance penalties for building stacks of 20 archers to wander aimlessly around Rome).

As Genoa Pisa flipped to me right off the bat, but the culture of Milan, Florence and the southern French cities was rather strong. Missing Theaters early is tough...

All I did was add an Iron source just east of Genoa, which made my civ viable.

Seen a few strange messages. Apparently England has capitulated and is now a vassal of England (actually France) and Arabia has now signed a defensive pact with Arabia (actually Kievan Rus).

Observations on starting a game as the Ottomans:
-France and Burgundy have both collapsed. England has taken cities in Normandy and Paris; Spain has taken Burdeos.
-Venice has a city on Corfu and a city on Crete. This is good.
-Genoa has captured Marseilles, Lyon (Valence), Milan, Pisa, and Florence), and appears to be in very strong position. They have not settled anywhere, although the culture from Genova itself covers part of Corsica.
-Portugal is increasingly pushed off the mainland by Spain, but settles the Azores and Canaries regularly.
-The Ottoman flip works.
-Plague hits right at 1300, and sweeps through Bulgaria, Hungary and Venice on schedule.

Very strange situation happened. Playing as Genoa, several cottages (villages actually) changed automatically to apiaries. I'm not sure when it happened, but I noticed that when the villages shrank (due to plague) they switched to apiaries rather than cottages.

Very strange situation happened. Playing as Genoa, several cottages (villages actually) changed automatically to apiaries. I'm not sure when it happened, but I noticed that when the villages shrank (due to plague) they switched to apiaries rather than cottages.

Ah, then I know what the problem is. 'twas an XML ordering problem afterall. I should be able to fix this easily for the next version.

Played as Cordoba on monarch difficulty in the latest testversion.
I must say, the first UHV of Corboda being the largest city in 1000 AD is very easy, with the new added food resources. Got it size 17 with serfdom and farms, Constantinople was 2nd with size 12.
I think Portugal has to start with stronger starting units. By the time they arrived I had heavy crossbowman and knights. They only had 1 crossbowman and some swordsmen.
I converted to Catholisicm instead of Islam because it's much easier. If I converted to islam I would have been the only one in the game. If you make it so that Cordoba can only convert to islam it would be a bit more difficult to win. So maybe that's an option?
France and Burgundy are 2 superpowers as you can see..

And last, what's with the ivory in Iceland:p?

Attachments

• iceland.JPG
    iceland.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 93
  • cordoba.JPG
    cordoba.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 128
The first UHV as Cordoba is easy now with the food resources. The key to winning the 2nd. is to attack Spain as soon as it spawns. Same with Portugal.
But the 3rd. is not always easy. A lot of other civs have been tech leaders in my games. Getting to Scientific Method first is not always possible.

As far as the ivory on your screenshot. You've never seen a walrus before?:lol:

Just a quick report on my current game as Genoa. I controlled Marseilles, Milano and Sardinia quite early (before 1400) but when it came to 1500 I didn't get the 1st. UHV condition even though I control all three in 1502. I think the UHV is broken somehow. See screenshots below.

Lol, yes I've seen them before, and now its makes a little more sense for me to put ivory on Iceland:mischief:

Lol, yes I've seen them before, and now its makes a little more sense for me to put ivory on Iceland:mischief:

I was thinking the same thing! All makes sense now.

I'm playing Genoa myself, and found them to be very satisfying. Somehow we need Austria or Hungary to be more powerful (then never declare war, invade, or spread far enough west into empty areas. Bulgaria and Arabia are incredibly powerful technologically in every game I play.

I've also seen Arabia collapse in my last few go-rounds, which means that several resources are unavailable to be traded for, and must be conquered! :sniper:

Played as Cordoba on monarch difficulty in the latest testversion.
I must say, the first UHV of Corboda being the largest city in 1000 AD is very easy, with the new added food resources. Got it size 17 with serfdom and farms, Constantinople was 2nd with size 12.
I think Portugal has to start with stronger starting units. By the time they arrived I had heavy crossbowman and knights. They only had 1 crossbowman and some swordsmen.
I converted to Catholisicm instead of Islam because it's much easier. If I converted to islam I would have been the only one in the game. If you make it so that Cordoba can only convert to islam it would be a bit more difficult to win. So maybe that's an option?
France and Burgundy are 2 superpowers as you can see..

And last, what's with the ivory in Iceland:p?

We need new graphics for the ivory. :D Can anyone find one that works for the map?

France and Burgundy are likely superpowers due in part to the doubled units they received at the beginning of the game. Burgundy in particular benefits - Dijon's a hell of a city site; I may need to tweak some of its resource placements to prevent a smart player from overwhelming the rest of Europe. Playing a game currently as the Burgundians, I eliminated France quickly when they declared on me, razed and relocated most of their cities, and have vassalized the Norse, Venice, and Hungary upon spawning (and will add Germany when the 20 turns are up).

I would like to confirm that the Genovese UHV first condition is broken. I have Sardinia, Marseilles and Milan within my control, yet received and "NO" in 1503.

With no units able to enter marsh, i guess that means that Venice really needs shipping!

Do we really thin that workers need to work more slowly? I would agree that tech research is coming too fast, but I find 4 turns for a road to be the correct time. Its slower than in RFC already.

Top Bottom